Educational

Author Topic: Say it ain't so QV  (Read 368 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Say it ain't so QV
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:32:38 PM »
This summer, the State Legislature and Governor of Louisiana passed a law that bans individuals and businesses from transacting in cash if they are considered a “secondhand dealer”.  House Bill 195 of the 2011 Regular Session (Act 389) broadly defines a secondhand dealer to include   “… Anyone, other than a non-profit entity, who buys, sells, trades in or otherwise acquires or disposes of junk or used or secondhand property more frequently than once per month from any other person, other than a non-profit entity, shall be deemed as being in the business of a secondhand dealer. ” The law then states that “A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property.  Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property…”
link

WTF  This one really strikes close to home for me as I would be considered a second hand dealer and would be barred from excepting cash.  It is supposedly to cut down on crime and the selling of stone goods.  I can not see how this could be constitutional money in the US does say "For All Debts Public and Private" right on it. I can't understand why they think this is some how a good idea.  Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?  The people who write and pass these types of laws are so far removed from reality they should be impeached and shunned.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Say it ain't so QV
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
It's not a way to "cut down on crime and the selling of stolen goods."

It's a way to keep track of how much money you're making so that the IRS is sure to get their cut of the pie, cash transactions are hard to trace. Alot of places are trying to push this through.  :P

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
The fat cats are never satisfied. :thumbdn:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »
The fat cats are never satisfied. :thumbdn:

Never.

This way the state can make sure to get you for a resellers license & sales tax too.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »
The big concern was also the scrap metal market but why not just do what they do here in CT.  When I bring back scrap they photocopy my license if I go more than a couple times a year they want me to get a special ID that the place I go to has

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
They take your license info on scrap too here, I believe anything over $600 a year and they're required to fill out a 1099 form on you. That started not too long ago.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
What? This is ridiculous beyond words. Yeah, that's the way to fix an economy, outlaw the exchange of cash for goods.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »
I read the entire act.

The act is designed to limit the purchase by businesses of materials stolen from homes and businesses.  These items are copper, wiring, aluminum, architectural details from houses, etc.  The purpose of paying by check and getting identification from the seller is to help track down the thieves.  Yes, it is possible that some over-reaching DA or judge could include a poor little old grandmother selling stuff at a garage sale, but I'd say the chances are slim.  Besides I'd pardon the grandmother.

To clarify:  FF steals the copper tubing from various central A/C units.  He takes it to XQ scrap yard.  Before, XQ would buy the copper for cash and FF would go off scot free.  Now having to show ID and paying in check establishes a trail of evidence.  If FF makes a steady stream of sales, he's opening himself to not only local police action, but questions from the IRS.  I'm guessing the IRS is going to ask for a 1099 for any purchases over a certain total amount.

I read of one poor guy who had his architectural arches stolen from the house when it was being repaired from Katrina.  He bought the arches back 3 times from various salvage yards.  Yes, they were his because they are unique.  Finally he engraved the address and his phone number on them to make it easier for him to be called by the companies.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
If they meant for it to be about only scrap metal then they would have restricted to that but they didn't if that was some sort of oversight they  should be impeached on grounds of incompetence. I would argue they knew what they were doing due to the exception for pawn shops as they don't in general take scrap metal unless it's gold or silver.   As it stands a lot of businesses will be affected such as flea markets, thrift shops that are not nonprofit, antique stores, sports memorabilia, comic book stores, Craigslist, and the list goes on and on.  If they don't intend to enforce these laws on anything but scrap dealers and let everyone else technically break the law they are setting a very bad example that it is okay to break the law.  If they intend to enforce this selectively who is to decide who gets charged and who does not?  This also sets a bad precedent and has a lot of potential for abuse.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »
Don't worry Parts, the only criminals we have in LA are the politicians.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
Don't worry Parts, the only criminals we have in LA are the politicians.

Yes that seems to be the case good thing they have a strong Queen to keep them inline

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
But, there are so many of them and only one of me.   :(