Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157601 times)

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #1725 on: June 28, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Hung out with the kids and played with the dog. Had a nap. Took son to his first overnight (where he's not staying with family) and he'll be having a 1 night camp out with his autism teen group. It's at a cool museum that's on an old farm. They're having a bonfire tonight and tomorrow morning going on a scavenger hunt using GPS systems. He started off being nervous but ended up being really excited. Hope it goes well.
that sounds really cool.  hope he has fun :2thumbsup:
It was last weekend. He ended up having a lot of fun. at one point in the night he said he really wanted to come home and I guess it was because he was by himself but then he "got over it" by going to find the group and someone to hang out with and ended up staying the night. Imagine that. An aspie seeking out socialization.  :lol1:
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #1726 on: June 28, 2012, 02:32:53 PM »
Hung out with the kids and played with the dog. Had a nap. Took son to his first overnight (where he's not staying with family) and he'll be having a 1 night camp out with his autism teen group. It's at a cool museum that's on an old farm. They're having a bonfire tonight and tomorrow morning going on a scavenger hunt using GPS systems. He started off being nervous but ended up being really excited. Hope it goes well.
It was last weekend. He ended up having a lot of fun. at one point in the night he said he really wanted to come home and I guess it was because he was by himself but then he "got over it" by going to find the group and someone to hang out with and ended up staying the night. Imagine that. An aspie seeking out socialization.  :lol1:

I think it is a good idea for kids to do camping.  Building bonfires and scavenger hunting is not only fun but a bit team orientated too.  Life skills.   Now he has completed one 'camp out' the next opportunity will be less stressful.  Awesome.   :thumbup:
blah blah blah

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1727 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »

I think it is a good idea for kids to do camping.  Building bonfires and scavenger hunting is not only fun but a bit team orientated too.  Life skills.   Now he has completed one 'camp out' the next opportunity will be less stressful.  Awesome.   :thumbup:

Exactly. This group has been so good for him. So many outings that he swore he would not participate in when the group first started because it was way out of his comfort zone. But then he got to know other kids in the group and enjoyed them so much that he goes simply to hang out with his new friends which is what pushes him into doing new things. I hope they do it again in the fall. I'd sign him up again in a heartbeat.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #1728 on: June 28, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
You know what?   I love to hear little stories like that.  Camping is so 'ordinary' for most people, but it's a big achievement for kids on the spectrum.   When i got the diagnosis for my son, they gave me a whole list of all the things he would NOT LIKELY achieve,  they said because he was non verbal back then he would likely not talk ever,  he would never go to a 'normal' school, no job, never get married, etc etc etc -  cynical, pessimistic bastards!  They said i should take time to mourn for the son i will never have and that they thought i was too positive and only setting myself up for a fall if i believed in him too much.  :zombiefuck:

I have crossed off half the things on the list already!!  and i will keep chipping away at it.

So reading about your boy, made me smile, just a little.  Good for him.   :viking:
blah blah blah

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1729 on: June 28, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
You know what?   I love to hear little stories like that.  Camping is so 'ordinary' for most people, but it's a big achievement for kids on the spectrum.   When i got the diagnosis for my son, they gave me a whole list of all the things he would NOT LIKELY achieve,  they said because he was non verbal back then he would likely not talk ever,  he would never go to a 'normal' school, no job, never get married, etc etc etc -  cynical, pessimistic bastards!  They said i should take time to mourn for the son i will never have and that they thought i was too positive and only setting myself up for a fall if i believed in him too much.  :zombiefuck:

I have crossed off half the things on the list already!!  and i will keep chipping away at it.

So reading about your boy, made me smile, just a little.  Good for him.   :viking:
He was non verbal for the longest time!!!! And then when he finally started talking at age 3, no one could understand him until he was close to 5 and into 6 years of age. So doctors absolutely cannot predict the outcome for a child. I was told up until the age of 10, of everything he could never do in school and would never be able to accomplish and people constantly pointed out how he would never be like his peers. :( He was constantly discouraged from pursuing things that interested him because it "wasn't appropriate". He was passionate about computers but was told "kids your age don't program you'll have to wait until you're older."  ::) He struggles to hold a pencil but can type like he's on fire. So WHO CARES that he struggles with a pencil? If he can manage to sign his name (which he can) in this day and age he can type out everything else. He won't read a novel so I was told he couldn't read. But he spends hours reading online articles. Uhm..he CAN read, he just doesn't have any interest in what you're throwing at him. On and on and on it goes.

The best thing you can do as a parent is to continue to remain to be his biggest supporter and let him reach his own milestones in his own time. For me, we got to a point where the school system was doing him more harm than good (he was 10 and suicidal) so I pulled him. Any regrets? Absolutely none. But my choice isn't for everyone and I know plenty of spectrumy kids who love going to school. But the biggest point is that you will always be his biggest advocate and as long as YOU believe in him, he will reach his own potential and be just fine. :hug:

What I care about most is that my kids are happy with who they are as people and they don't have to travel the same roads as everyone else to get to where they want to be in life.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1730 on: June 28, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »
I've been finding words for my anger.
So, tomorrow, I think I can write a devastating letter, chillingly polite and cutting through all vile veneer.

It's good to find words and think of what needs to be said. Wanted to write it tonight, but, kids are late sleepers on this sticky night, and I was too tired to get it right once they were in bed. And too tired to feel all the anger soar through my veins again too.

Tomorrow, I will though. In my head, the preparations are done.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1731 on: June 28, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
So, tomorrow, I think I can write a devastating letter, chillingly polite and cutting through all vile veneer.

It's good to find words and think of what needs to be said. Wanted to write it tonight, but, kids are late sleepers on this sticky night, and I was too tired to get it right once they were in bed. And too tired to feel all the anger soar through my veins again too.

very, very proud of you!!! :hug:

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #1732 on: June 28, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
Yay!  Break the mould  :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:

I often think about the poor kids who don't have parents who believe in them.  I was told that if i couldn't cope it would be understandable to institutionalise him!  I don't know how often that kind of thing happens but i am horrified that a lot of the help offered seems to be geared upto making MY life easier.

How fucked up is that!  I live in a supposedly civilised society,  so civilised in fact that if i have a kid who is not upto spec i get a 'get out clause'  :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: Get out of jail free, do not pass go, bla bla....does it come with some jam roly poly and a cup of easy to swallow coffee!!

He is an urchin and i loves him.   I will be in that boys corner till the day i die!
blah blah blah

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1733 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
Ridiculous. And how many people took the easy route and kids are left never being able to realize their full potential :(

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1734 on: June 28, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
Worked as a subcontractor of a subcontractor
Got home at 7pm and fixed the Rototiller
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1735 on: June 29, 2012, 06:28:43 AM »

Thank you.

Discussed the way to deal with this with a co-worker this morning. She had a point in that it was better to call the confidentiality person (someone to bring up the more serious and intimate complaints and problems) first. I know for a fact that she is trustworthy and, willing to walk the extra mile when it comes to the well-being of pupils. So, left her a message, explaining shortly what is going on. Bullying by a mentor, is something that needs serious addressing.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1736 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:24 AM »

Thank you.

Discussed the way to deal with this with a co-worker this morning. She had a point in that it was better to call the confidentiality person (someone to bring up the more serious and intimate complaints and problems) first. I know for a fact that she is trustworthy and, willing to walk the extra mile when it comes to the well-being of pupils. So, left her a message, explaining shortly what is going on. Bullying by a mentor, is something that needs serious addressing.

Absolutely. Reminds so much of what I went through with DS when he was younger.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1737 on: June 29, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
Taken care of some of the practicalities needed to change cars.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #1738 on: June 29, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Are you running a 'chop shop' odeon? :o :hahaha:
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1739 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Are you running a 'chop shop' odeon? :o :hahaha:

Well, he did sell his soul....