Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157451 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #12585 on: December 03, 2023, 02:06:48 PM »
I cleaned the garage. :hadron: I also put some Christmas lights up in there.  :santa: Yesterday I was thinking I only need to do the windows before Christmas, but I completely forgot I've now added the garage to my deep cleaning schedule. I discovered it's a big job and I don't like doing it. I do believe cleaning the garage is my new least favorite cleaning task, so I guess it's a good replacement for the grout.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12586 on: December 03, 2023, 02:45:52 PM »
Revamped Chapter 16 in my book, just need to get ahold of folic acid ASAP! even if I get the prescription for it :-(

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12587 on: December 05, 2023, 11:07:39 PM »
I cleaned the garage. :hadron: I also put some Christmas lights up in there.  :santa: Yesterday I was thinking I only need to do the windows before Christmas, but I completely forgot I've now added the garage to my deep cleaning schedule. I discovered it's a big job and I don't like doing it. I do believe cleaning the garage is my new least favorite cleaning task, so I guess it's a good replacement for the grout.  :lol1:
Sounds like you do heaps. Does no one else in the household help you?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #12588 on: December 06, 2023, 02:48:57 PM »
Made myself some grilled cheese and cleaned the stove. 

Weirdly, the front left burner used to not work.  Now it's the rear left burner.  Don't know what I did lol.  I'm not gonna tell anyone though,  I like to imagine people figuring it out for themselves.  Or maybe I'll show someone.  W/e

edit: I mentioned the wrong burner. how  :autism: :autism: :autism:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 11:57:13 PM by conlang returns »

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12589 on: December 06, 2023, 05:25:30 PM »
Sounds like you do heaps. Does no one else in the household help you?

I might sound like heaps, but it's really not. On weekdays the only thing I do is dishes and make the bed. On Saturday morning I do laundry, clean the bathrooms, dust, vacuum and mop. I'm the type to work in spurts and take a lot of breaks, so by lunch time it's taken me 4-5 hours to do about 2-3 hours of actual work. Then somehow the house is immaculate and I don't feel like I've done much because I've spent half the morning goofing off. If I do the cars then that adds another 1-2 hours. That amounts to about 5-7 hours per week to keep up with things, and I don't think an average of 1 hour per day is much of a commitment.

Sundays I do one spring cleaning task, and how long that takes depends on the job, but it's usually like Saturdays; a couple of hours spread out across the whole morning. If I'm diligent about not skipping a week, then I end up with a whole month of Sundays with nothing to do in each cleaning cycle.

The boy does the trash and the yard work. He also does the yard work for his grandma. That's mowing, trim work, blowing the roof and pavement, hedging and leaf clean up, plus there's grandma's pool. We live in a climate where yard work has to be done every week all year round, so he probably puts in as many hours as I do for weekly tasks since he does two homes. Sugarbutt is disabled so his job is to fix the broken stuff, and he saves us thousands of dollars each year repairing things I don't know how.

I think their main contribution is being tidy and picking up after themselves. I can't stand crap laying around, but I also don't like to nag, so I most appreciate the house always looks great and I never have to do or say anything for it to be that way. I could go a whole year without doing any spring cleaning tasks like most people do, and still feel comfortable with a surprise visit at any given moment. That's huge. :thumbup:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12590 on: December 06, 2023, 07:33:01 PM »
I forgot to mention, Sugarbutt does all the cooking. I don't like cooking and I'm content to live out of the microwave, so after the kids were grown I totally quit. If he ever becomes so decrepit he can't feed himself then I'll cook again, but until then he better cook something if he wants to eat.  :lol1:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12591 on: December 07, 2023, 07:55:22 AM »
I forgot to mention, Sugarbutt does all the cooking. I don't like cooking and I'm content to live out of the microwave, so after the kids were grown I totally quit. If he ever becomes so decrepit he can't feed himself then I'll cook again, but until then he better cook something if he wants to eat.  :lol1:

I'm the same way I hate cooking, except for cookies,  I traded doing almost all the house cleaning for not having to cook
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12592 on: December 07, 2023, 07:41:43 PM »

I'm the same way I hate cooking, except for cookies,  I traded doing almost all the house cleaning for not having to cook

White noise causes me to have anxiety, so the sizzling and simmering sounds of cooking can do my head in. I don't even notice it's happening until it's extreme, and I'll suddenly realize I'm completely frantic and I have to stop and wonder why I feel like I'm going to die.  :lol1:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12593 on: December 08, 2023, 07:43:26 PM »
Kayleigh does the cooking for us. If she doesn't want to cook and wants takeaway, she has to buy it. If it's pizza, it's all hers and I'll find myself something to heat up in the microwave. Cooking sounds don't bother me but slamming doors sure do. And that's the way Kayleigh closes doors.

I do most of the housework. If something needs fixing, Kayleigh fixes it. But she is not tidy at all. I have to pick up after her and it drives me up the wall. For example, she has a bin in her room and when it's full, she throws rubbish at it still and it just falls on the floor. Argh. I can't get to it because her bed (which is a mattress on the floor) and clothes and electronics that I don't want to step on are in the way. Every time we have an inspection, they make a request for Kayleigh to tidy her room. My room is fine even though it has more furniture in it.

I clean the outside of the house (mainly cobwebs) and do the weeding.

I also do both of our washing. But I do the absolute least amount of Kayleigh's washing that I get away with. She doesn't go out much so she tends to wear home clothes for days. I wash her gym stuff every week. I generate a lot more washing because if I've worn clothes to work or the Salvos, they get put in the wash as soon as I get home.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12594 on: December 08, 2023, 08:55:37 PM »
I didn't make the white noise connection until sometime in my thirties, when I bought a small desktop fan and one day I was trying to figure out why I felt like the sky was falling, then realized it was the fan, and I couldn't seem to tolerate it running more than about five minutes. After that I made the connection to cooking and other things too. I had always thought I disliked cooking so much because of some sort of PTSD from a fire I accidentally caused as a teenager. I guess it's possible that might be part of it too.  :dunno:

I've always heard mattresses shouldn't be placed directly on the floor because people sweat a lot while they sleep and mold will grow under the mattress if there isn't proper air circulation. :aff:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12595 on: December 08, 2023, 11:30:53 PM »
I guess it depends on the climate lived in and possibly the thickness of the mattress. I don't know if our climate is dry enough so mould under Kayleigh's mattress won't happen, but when it was lifted for the floor replacement there was nothing growing underneath, heh. Her mattress was expensive and has a pillow top on it so it's quite big and heavy.

My life would be much harder if I couldn't deal with white noise because I have a fan that I use most nights in summer in my bedroom. I actually don't mind its sound because it drowns out the sound of the tv (when Kayleigh's watching it and I've gone to bed) and traffic sounds. I feel for you that those sounds are a real bother. I have to retreat to my room when the food mixer and processor are being used.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12596 on: December 09, 2023, 05:25:19 PM »
I guess it depends on the climate lived in and possibly the thickness of the mattress. I don't know if our climate is dry enough so mould under Kayleigh's mattress won't happen, but when it was lifted for the floor replacement there was nothing growing underneath, heh. Her mattress was expensive and has a pillow top on it so it's quite big and heavy.

My life would be much harder if I couldn't deal with white noise because I have a fan that I use most nights in summer in my bedroom. I actually don't mind its sound because it drowns out the sound of the tv (when Kayleigh's watching it and I've gone to bed) and traffic sounds. I feel for you that those sounds are a real bother. I have to retreat to my room when the food mixer and processor are being used.

I wasn't thinking about dry climates, so that does make sense. The white noise thing isn't so bad because I know what it is. I can only imagine how many times in the past I've felt terrible, and either couldn't figure out why, or blamed the why on something or someone else.  :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12597 on: December 09, 2023, 05:26:42 PM »
I did my Saturday housework. :hadron:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12598 on: December 10, 2023, 03:59:14 PM »
I cleaned the windows. :hadron: I also finished the wrapping and packed up two boxes of gifts to ship out tomorrow.  :santa:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12599 on: December 10, 2023, 09:14:43 PM »
Had a nice long talk with Carla about our future Kentucky trip and another long talk about my old life insurance. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant