Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157642 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #12345 on: August 14, 2023, 11:51:56 AM »
I tried to keep the turkey from overbarking on the upturned breast by using a triple foil barrier (one flat one each side with a wrinkled one in the center) and it helped some, but not as much as I would have liked. Even turning the legs up a few times probably helped, but I still feel the breasts are a bit overbarked.
The internals are perfect, just a bit more bark than I might have imagined at first, even using foil.

The turkey turned out great!! I had pulled off the corn and potatoes an hour before the turkey. I set them in the oven on 175 degrees F as a warmer. That's the lowest my oven goes.

I managed to keep the beans in the iron oven going until the turkey was ready. Can't really overcook beans much. I added some old school Brer Rabbit molasses toward the last hour.

Fabulous meal for all and all week as it goes with a turkey.

Once it all cools down, I will strip the turkey and set the carcass into a stock pot for an additional treat.

Making a gallon or so of broth to freeze in 2 cup bags is my favorite way to dispose of a pile of turkey bones, skin and tallow. I always cut the ends off all the bigger bones and split the breast to expose the marrow.

Ever had rice made with broth instead of just water? Try it with smoked turkey broth!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:01:14 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12346 on: August 14, 2023, 12:07:39 PM »
Didn't do much today, right now I'm focused on trying to get certain things done.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12347 on: August 14, 2023, 05:58:53 PM »
An odd time for a turkey, right?

When the kids were growing up, we did thanskgiving style dinner randomly a couple times per year. I'd only buy half a breast, because a whole turkey is a bit much. Still, it's a delicious meal, so it seems silly to only have it for the holidays.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12348 on: August 14, 2023, 06:11:34 PM »
Overanalyzing my life (again)

just need to reformat some elements of my thinking...

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12349 on: August 14, 2023, 07:26:04 PM »
An odd time for a turkey, right?

When the kids were growing up, we did thanskgiving style dinner randomly a couple times per year. I'd only buy half a breast, because a whole turkey is a bit much. Still, it's a delicious meal, so it seems silly to only have it for the holidays.  :lol1:

Yes! We've done the breast thing a few times, too, with all the typical fixings.
This time was closer to a BBQ type thing with baked beans and fresh corn.

A turkey is a lot, but we weren't going to pass up a blowout sale like that, even the week after Thanksgiving. We had freezer space at the time.
 :thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12350 on: August 15, 2023, 05:58:14 AM »
Worked. Got a sun spot cut off my shoulder today. Went to pub trivia tonight and we won.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12351 on: August 15, 2023, 02:54:36 PM »
Did weights at the gym and got some spaghetti sauce for my husband.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12352 on: August 15, 2023, 04:44:35 PM »
Went to work... had a Pace Bus that lied to me today.... claimed I was going to be on the bus a long time (I wasn't that was a lie) turns out it was a good ride... I was going to call the call center and act severely autistic saying "Lair Liar pants on fire! Now get out of there before I call the cops!" <----I wouldn't say that... because my old neighbor who was a moderate functioning autistic said that to little kids who were bullying him.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12353 on: August 18, 2023, 02:27:46 PM »
Second endoscopy (routine follow up) happened today.  She dilated my esophagus a bit more.  A lot easier to recover this time, since it wasn't done under emergency conditions.  Came home at breakfast for lunch and am now enjoying a second mug of Lapsang Souchong tea.  Amber had to come and get me to take me home, since they won't allow you to drive after a procedure where you had to be sedated.  Oh well, I'll get my car tomorrow morning!  8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12354 on: August 18, 2023, 03:18:55 PM »
I didn't do much today... I was focusing on a writing project :(

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12355 on: August 18, 2023, 09:44:11 PM »
Second endoscopy (routine follow up) happened today.  She dilated my esophagus a bit more.  A lot easier to recover this time, since it wasn't done under emergency conditions.  Came home at breakfast for lunch and am now enjoying a second mug of Lapsang Souchong tea.  Amber had to come and get me to take me home, since they won't allow you to drive after a procedure where you had to be sedated.  Oh well, I'll get my car tomorrow morning!  8)
Glad you're all right and you're enjoying your tea. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12356 on: August 18, 2023, 09:46:39 PM »
Went to group at church... now I hear Yoshi at my escape hatch window

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12357 on: August 19, 2023, 07:08:16 AM »
Got my car from the hospital parking garage.  Had breakfast and now relaxing before I go to work!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12358 on: August 19, 2023, 07:08:59 AM »
Glad you're all right and you're enjoying your tea. :)

Thanks! 8)

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12359 on: August 19, 2023, 12:36:02 PM »
Watching these Kdrama parodies on Tiktok makes me want to get into a Kdrama to watch again... maybe I'll start rewatching one to actually finish it. Might start with Crashing Landing on You or the Attorney Woo series.