Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157708 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #12150 on: April 23, 2023, 04:59:10 PM »
Picked this stuff among other things out of spring clean up piles :2thumbsup:

That is very cool, Parts.

I recognize the Hallicrafters short wave rig, but it looks different from ones I have seen.

Awesome find!!

Do they work?
If they have not been powered up in a generation, you might use a dim bulb tester to get them going, just in case.

You probably already know this stuff.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 05:01:04 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12151 on: April 23, 2023, 05:28:58 PM »
I washed the cars. :hadron:
:gopher:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12152 on: April 23, 2023, 06:23:20 PM »
Picked this stuff among other things out of spring clean up piles :2thumbsup:

That is very cool, Parts.

I recognize the Hallicrafters short wave rig, but it looks different from ones I have seen.

Awesome find!!

Do they work?
If they have not been powered up in a generation, you might use a dim bulb tester to get them going, just in case.

You probably already know this stuff.

The only one I tried was the newer scanner and that did work.  The others I have to get to the basement and check out due to their age.  I usually use a Variac and power them up nice and slow. I also found 4 walkmans with them that all look pretty good
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12153 on: April 27, 2023, 07:57:07 AM »
I am pretty sure that I have the Chevelle sold.

I have done a few things to it but not that much investment, mostly cosmetic things.
For instance it had been painted nicely when I bought it and the interior was reupholstered, engine, suspension and brakes were done, but nothing was detailed well or completely right.

I did things like, adjusted the lights, polished lenses and replaced the little gaskets that keep them water tight. Took off some parts from the engine like pulleys, fittings and linkages, painted or polished and tinted them for a more custom look, found missing interior trim pieces and got them installed, replaced the exhaust with an actual muffler that sounded about right and much more quiet than the noisy horror that came on it. Adjusted the fit of the hood and trunk and both doors.

Not much money spent ($1400 maybe), but a lot of tinkering work that took a lot of time and patience. I gave $38 for it and I think I have it sold for $55 after five years of tinkering and a couple of hours cruising the hotrod club last week end.
We'll see if the guy has $$$ or not, tomorrow.

He acted as thrilled to see it for sale as I was when I first saw it.

So, I talk on Saturday about how impractical it has always been since I bought it, cruised the club on Sunday, got an offer that day and did a title verification for the guy on Wednesday, now it is possibly sold on Friday.

Anything that is so easy to sell might not be that impractical after all, but She needs to go to a better home!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:07:00 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12154 on: April 28, 2023, 07:05:11 AM »
The Guy called me about an hour ago. He said to meet him at his bank at 9AM when they open and we can finalize the deal on the Chevelle with a cashier's check made out to me for 55k.

It went to easy! I have undersold myself. All I did was drive the Chevelle through the park a few times while the car club was meeting and had Her swish Her skirts a bit.
I am selling Her too cheap!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 07:09:03 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12155 on: April 28, 2023, 02:55:57 PM »
Worked. Boarded a train to pick up the Jag from winter storage, finally, and drove back home. :woohoo:
What do you drive in winter?

My wife's company car or nothing at all. I work from home, and when I travel I rent a car if needed. The Jag is a toy.

I have been thinking about getting rid of the Jag and buying something that gets me through the winter months, tbh, but I love the Jag. It's a fantastic car, and it's stunningly beautiful. It's a work of art.

I feel similarly about my '70 Chevelle. It is a toy and an amazingly beautiful work of art.
And yet, it sits in a storage building for ten months out of the year.

I've been really close to selling it a few times this past year, but I just can't do it (yet).

It is the single MOST impractical thing I own.

Then you know. I drive mine a tad more, but it's not something that would make a practical difference. I just love that car. It's stunningly beautiful, and the engine is out of this world.

I've considered a Range Rover - because they are British - but the beauty just isn't there.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12156 on: April 28, 2023, 02:58:32 PM »
The Guy called me about an hour ago. He said to meet him at his bank at 9AM when they open and we can finalize the deal on the Chevelle with a cashier's check made out to me for 55k.

It went to easy! I have undersold myself. All I did was drive the Chevelle through the park a few times while the car club was meeting and had Her swish Her skirts a bit.

So sorry.

But I do understand. If the money isn't a problem, then just let it go. Obsessions don't come cheap, anyway.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12157 on: April 28, 2023, 04:26:06 PM »

So sorry.

But I do understand. If the money isn't a problem, then just let it go. Obsessions don't come cheap, anyway.

I did not need to free up money.
I just went through (watching) a period trying to help an old friend's widow deal with his mountains of audio gear left behind. It had taken her more than a year to even reach the point she could face dealing with it all.

If something happened to me today, no one in my family would have known how to sell that car. There would have been an ad in a magazine or Craig's list. Dozens of super low ball offers from assholes trying to steal from a grieving widow and all of it would have confused the situation.

I literally made the long deliberated decision over night, last Saturday. Almost as I was posting about it.
I went out Sunday morning and pranced her around a bit in front of a bunch of googly eyed hotrodders and by that afternoon I had several offers. I took one from the guy who seemed most "real" and already had a nice hotrod of his own. But I still think, had I done it all a little differently, I could have gotten more for her. It was too easy!

I did make a profit on the investment and I did get many hours of gut churning thrills out of that car. The labor adjusting everything to make it right, tinkering with things to make them pretty was an act of love, so no way to place value on that.

I hate to see the Chevelle go, but the main regret I have is that I did not drive her more.
That was an amazing and FUN car.

It's done!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 04:36:29 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12158 on: April 29, 2023, 11:27:38 AM »
I did my Saturday cleaning chores. :hadron: I haven't cleaned the cars because it's sprinkling outside. It's supposed to be rainy all weekend, so it might not get done.  :dunno: I plan to polish the wood furniture and clean appliances tomorrow. I'm feeling anxious for some reason, so I might start on it today just to keep myself occupied.  :GA:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12159 on: April 29, 2023, 11:36:36 AM »
LL is in the hospital, so I didn't have my odd job to do today... I helped Dad in the garage, hanged out with Yoshi... now I'm going to do the Laundry.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12160 on: April 30, 2023, 12:18:47 PM »
I polished all the wood and cleaned the appliances. :hadron:

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12161 on: April 30, 2023, 02:28:46 PM »
Forgot that my mom's friend says hello .____.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12162 on: April 30, 2023, 03:21:10 PM »
Hi, Momma's friend.  :santa:

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12163 on: April 30, 2023, 05:26:43 PM »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12164 on: April 30, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »
Drove around picking goodies out of spring clean up piles.  Got an original xbox with some games which needs a bit of work, a few tool boxes, a cart,  and some tools
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw