Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157221 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11775 on: October 12, 2022, 05:38:15 PM »
Worked in small attic crawlspaces removing old insulation and putting in new
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11776 on: October 12, 2022, 05:44:21 PM »
heirloom quality

This made me think of something I heard or read years back. I don't remember the context but there was a photo of a china hutch and someone said something like, what's going to happen to all of these huge useless pieces of furniture after the boomers die?  :lol1: It was very likely someone from a younger generation than mine, a lot of them seem to feel differently about things like that. The boy's bedroom furniture belonged to his great grandparents. Sugarbutt was sort of weird about giving it to him at first, but I explained the endowment effect and how it would be more likely to stay in the family after we are gone. If the kids keep the stuff in the dining room, it will be because I made a point to actually use it so it's attached to memories of large family gatherings. I still think it would be better to pass some of it along now. :dunno: Oh, and if it makes you feel better, I definitely plan to wax and polish that old furniture in the boy's room.  :zoinks:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:00:01 PM by Gopher Gary »
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11777 on: October 13, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »

heirloom quality

This made me think of something I heard or read years back. I don't remember the context but there was a photo of a china hutch and someone said something like, what's going to happen to all of these huge useless pieces of furniture after the boomers die?  :lol1: It was very likely someone from a younger generation than mine, a lot of them seem to feel differently about things like that. The boy's bedroom furniture belonged to his great grandparents. Sugarbutt was sort of weird about giving it to him at first, but I explained the endowment effect and how it would be more likely to stay in the family after we are gone. If the kids keep the stuff in the dining room, it will be because I made a point to actually use it so it's attached to memories of large family gatherings. I still think it would be better to pass some of it along now. :dunno: Oh, and if it makes you feel better, I definitely plan to wax and polish that old furniture in the boy's room.  :zoinks:

With an upcoming culture of removing the realities of what history means, I see many mistakes being made with the things that were made the hard way, by hand in the past.

Heirloom, fuck that. Get me to an Ikea store where they have cool shit for me to buy!
I'll build it myself!

Idiots!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11778 on: October 13, 2022, 11:07:18 AM »
There is another piece we own, worth something, maybe. It was given to me by an old girlfriend's mom. I think she loved me more than the girlfriend did, at least the idea of me for her daughter's future.
 :lol1:

It's a small solid cherry dresser and the old lady (wonderful woman) refinished it herself for me. Did a nice job, really. Some talent and experience there!
I used it for quite a while as a bachelor and after I married my treasured forever wife.
But, when our kids were young, we changed it up a bit. My wife was worried that it had some sentimental connection from the past for me. I said Nope!
She had an idea to paint Disney characters all over it, but was afraid I would object.
One day when she was gone to work, I took it out, sanded it down and painted it white!

She came home and I asked her if that would be a decent canvas to begin her work. My wife is a true artist! She spent the following weeks painting Disney scenes all over it, Mickey, Minnie, Donald and so forth, all of them, I think. Hinted at a puffy cloud sky toward the top and grassy ground down low. It was an amazing piece of artwork she created!

The kids grew up using that as a place for clean clothes.

When my daughter got to be in a black phase, we stripped it again (:bigcry:) and painted it black for her. She loved it.

By the time we moved into this new home, she was done with it (Ikea, Amazon HO!) and I painted it white again and it is now our coffee station. The small top drawers hold spices, lower larger drawers hold teas, coffees, water crock on top, everything it takes to rattle together drinks with kitchen towels in the bottom drawer, all on one wall, in one place.

The white matches all the other kitchen decor and I like it where it is.
However, if there was another heirloom quality furniture piece it would be that one. Stripping it and restoring it would take an effort, but definitely worth it to save a high quality piece that has been abused through modern day use.

As far as I am concerned, painted white, doing duty as a place for coffee making, it might have found its final function in life.

But, again, it is a very high quality, well made piece of "old skool" heavy furniture worthy of many more years of duty.

Nothing like what you get shipped next day from Amazon!
 :lol1:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:20:32 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11779 on: October 13, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »

heirloom quality

With an upcoming culture of removing the realities of what history means, I see many mistakes being made with the things that were made the hard way, by hand in the past.

Heirloom, fuck that. Get me to an Ikea store where they have cool shit for me to buy!
I'll build it myself!

Idiots!

Nah, I think young people who want and can afford quality, are just as likely to buy quality as those in the past. On some level I get it, because why should deceased elders be the only ones who get to buy nice new things which fit their personal taste? For the sake of sentiment, it's awesome the boy likes his furniture but the reality is, he owns it because we didn't want to use it. It's beautiful but we already had beautiful bedroom furniture we prefer.  :dunno:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11780 on: October 14, 2022, 06:19:31 PM »
Sent out a really high bid on a house I don't want to work on
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11781 on: October 14, 2022, 07:21:09 PM »
Sent out a really high bid on a house I don't want to work on

You are the expert at this, it just makes me chuckle at the way you avoid this problem.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11782 on: October 15, 2022, 08:54:16 AM »
I'm back into my walking in preparation for Kosciusko with crush boi and his friends on Australia Day. So today I went down south again and went on the walk I should have done last weekend, which was along a beach headland to a lookout. Was somewhat spectacular. I love rocky coastlines.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11783 on: October 15, 2022, 02:54:35 PM »
Had an adventure at Aldi's with mom. Found some Twizzlers, Dried Filpino Mangos, and German Chocolate... couldn't find the Ice Cream I liked though... maybe next time?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11784 on: October 15, 2022, 04:41:20 PM »
I did my usual Saturday chores and cleaned the windows. :hadron: This week was a bit crazy so I wasn't thrilled about the windows today, but I'm glad I made myself do them anyway. The hurricane made them so dirty they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in six months and the results are very satisfying. After the windows, I cooked dinner for the guys, took an early shower, and now I'm telling y'all about it.  :zoinks:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11785 on: October 15, 2022, 04:58:12 PM »
I did my usual Saturday chores and cleaned the windows. :hadron: This week was a bit crazy so I wasn't thrilled about the windows today, but I'm glad I made myself do them anyway. The hurricane made them so dirty they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in six months and the results are very satisfying. After the windows, I cooked dinner for the guys, took an early shower, and now I'm telling y'all about it.  :zoinks:

Nah, details, please. Tell us more about your shower.
 :eyebrows:

We live a week away from the hurricane, in hurricane time. We got almost no change to our normal weather.
Always feels good the get back to normal after a storm.
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 05:02:52 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11786 on: October 15, 2022, 05:07:41 PM »
I spent half the day kind of looking around our "half million" channels looking for a football game worth watching. Still a wannabe fan of college ball.

During most of that I was tearing away from my Honey Do list (now, mostly a Honey, Overdue list) and listening to my new speakers.
They are sounding great!

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11787 on: October 15, 2022, 06:02:00 PM »
Avoided the troll and automaton.... complained about them to my therapist.. yep  :junkie:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11788 on: October 15, 2022, 06:30:01 PM »

Better than that, here's a picture of it.  :zoinks:

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11789 on: October 15, 2022, 06:31:23 PM »

Better than that, here's a picture of it.  :zoinks:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: