Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157263 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11595 on: July 16, 2022, 06:48:24 PM »
Saw a yardsale today on my way back from dropping my daughter at work. A little bench of random tools caught my eye. I stopped.

I found an old Makita angle grinder, the guy said it doesn't work. We're just selling it for parts. It was marked for $2.

I pulled a coin out of my pocket and tried to get the brushes out, but had to resort to my trusty Gerber everything pocket tool. I got the first one loose and it was nothing but a spring in there.
I took it.

I found my old Makita drill which the batteries are too expensive to buy these days and so it sits on a shelf. Sure enough the brushes fit perfectly and this old angle grinder sings again. It just needed brushes!!
I got it for $2! Figure to clean it up some and I'll have a nice little tool. The grinder has a power cord. No damn obsolete batteries to deal with.
I also grabbed a few chisels for a buck a piece.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11596 on: July 16, 2022, 08:54:27 PM »
Pretty sure we all need the rain in July! I know we do and after a good one yesterday, we still need more.

In the summer months here it rains almost everyday.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11597 on: July 16, 2022, 11:39:13 PM »
Pretty sure we all need the rain in July! I know we do and after a good one yesterday, we still need more.

In the summer months here it rains almost everyday.  :lol1:

DAMN! Where are you?
We have high humidity, but high temperatures and high barometric pressures don't allow for precipitation, except for the early morning hours, usually.

I'm a ways north of Indianapolis and central Indiana is super dry right now. Typical July weather, actually.
Getting through the Dog Days can be tough here, though, especially if you have plants you care about. We're not even there yet, but approaching the worst dry days 20 inches below average rainfall for the year will be rough.
Old farmers say we make it up in snow over the winter.
I've seen it happen.

Right now we are having a stormy thing going on. Lots of lightning leading up to this burst of freshness. I was hearing some far off thunder and went out and stayed until I got wet.
Magnificient light show.

I grew up near the Gulf Of Mexico and the daily shower that could impress folks up here was normal.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11598 on: July 17, 2022, 02:58:39 AM »
This morning, I spent time weeding our landscaping.
Rye grass grows like crazy from the golf course fairway rough, solid rye, that borders our yard to the east.
A full afternoon of decent rainfall and all night of light rain, the weeds give up easily. I even managed to pull up some thistle sprouts, root and all.

They say gardeners need to have a cast iron back with a hinge in the middle. My back is still strong, but that hinge is a little rusty. My times of bending all day are at an end.

Lots of detail left to do, but I filled a huge bag of yard waste!
I used to get a sore back from weeding as well. Then I saw we had a milk crate in the store room. Turned it upside down and put a chair cushion on it, now I can weed for some time before I get tired of it. No more sore back.

Today i bought some pasta salad and then I went to see my Dad. I bought him two flannel shirts for his birthday (good, thick ones) and he liked them. I had a barbecue lunch there and watched tv for a while. We had a long chat.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 03:02:48 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11599 on: July 17, 2022, 06:08:20 AM »
Four loads of laundry, some to dry on the line, some for the laundromat.
Got ready and went to the raffles with crush boi. I had the worst meal I've ever had at that club ever. Overcooked rump, a few string beans and some potatoes. The portion was so small they served it on one of those pasta plates.
Got the washing dry at the 24/7 laundrette, got some groceries and just got home.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11600 on: July 17, 2022, 08:17:11 PM »
I removed the ice buildup in the chest freezer. :hadron:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11601 on: July 17, 2022, 08:19:01 PM »
Went to work, came home hid in my room... waited for the baseball draft to happen... turning my attention off from the draft after the Cubs 2nd round pick.. and watching my Anime program instead.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11602 on: July 18, 2022, 04:49:08 PM »
Last weekend I found a pack of those no-skid stickers I had bought for the shower a long time ago and forgot about them, so today I scraped off the old ones. Sugarbutt let me use some of his acetone to remove the glue residue. I rinsed out the shower afterward and now I'm waiting for it to dry so I can apply the new ones. I don't know how long it takes to dry, hopefully today, but if not I'll do it tomorrow. Sugarbutt came by to make sure the acetone was working for me. I told him I thought the shower floor looked great with nothing on it. He said he was thinking the exact same thing, but he said we're getting too old and don't need to be breaking our hips in the shower.  :lol1:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11603 on: July 18, 2022, 07:50:48 PM »
Recovered from a long day at the flea market yesterday
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11604 on: July 19, 2022, 02:20:42 PM »
Worked from 10am to 2pm, ate lunch, got comfortable and now hiding in my quarters.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11605 on: July 19, 2022, 07:07:56 PM »
Trimmed some branches that were overhanging the shed
Cleaned up some tools to sell

George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11606 on: July 21, 2022, 01:58:49 PM »
Found a dollar bill and a penny on my walk today.  Just lying on the side of the road, next to some garbage, which I did pick up to keep my adopted section of road clean.  Made sure I hydrated properly as it was sweltering and I go thru about 2 t-shirts a day due to seating major league.  We didn't break a hundred today, but, a friend I have who lives near the Catskills in NYS, recorded 105 F on her weather monitor.  And she lives in a shady wooded area.  While we live near the NH seacoast.  And it was about 98 F on my deck.

It's comforting to know that my daily walks can still surprise me with unusual finds, like a Sterling Silver cufflink, the occasional tool or stuff that I can repurpose like the scrap wood I found.  Which I made into a small table and is getting prepped for a nice white paint job.   8)  Today was the priming, tomorrow, weather willing, will be the beginning of several coats of white paint.  So it won't look as rough as it did.  I may not have great carpenter skills, but I can figure things out.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11607 on: July 21, 2022, 02:21:01 PM »
I went to get a COVID test done... (just a precaution because Mom is feeling under the weather), and ordered my usual from Jimmy Johns... wishing I could do my necessity shopping but tomorrow it needs to be done.

Oy Vey -_-

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11608 on: July 21, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »
 Tried to fix my smaller blowing machine but it's fucked
Replaced the broken leaf spring on the trailer

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11609 on: July 22, 2022, 05:40:45 PM »
I did the weekly grocery shop. It's not big grocery week, so I just picked up some milk and lettuce, and I also got a bunch of blueberries for the boy.  :2thumbsup: