Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157544 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11580 on: July 08, 2022, 10:48:13 AM »
Went downtown to the pipe shop and found something odd on the sidewalk.

My finders keepers is in much better numismatic condition than the ebay pic I stole to post, but they seem to go for around five or six bucks. Of course, I knew what it is, but I had to look it up on several sites right away.

My find is a '62 Great Britain penny coin with some residual mint luster.
Are you lost? WTF!?!
It's a decent amount of copper.

Ignorant people often call our USA one cent Lincoln coin a penny. I cringe. In fact if you try to google penny coin without specifying UK mintage, you get pages of Lincoln cents. The ignorance abounds!
Nope, this is what a penny looks like and they did for almost two centuries. Obverse follwed the times, but the reverse was consistent. I have many more, much older ones put away in my collections. Most are pre-decimalization pence values, using various royal heads on the obverse.
It is almost three times larger than a one cent Lincoln. Copper is not as pure, but they are much larger.

... and I found a lost one today.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:17:52 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11581 on: July 08, 2022, 12:29:30 PM »
Vacuumed and washed out my car.  The WeatherTec mats that Carla bought me for xmas are really great.  A lot easier to clean then worn out rug mats.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11582 on: July 08, 2022, 10:55:03 PM »
Woke up late with a cat by my side. Rowan can be really sweet at times.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11583 on: July 09, 2022, 11:41:59 AM »
DirtDawg like the penny definitely a WTF find :2thumbsup:  I collected US large cents when I was a kid and still have a few

Today I went to a few garage sales bought a cast iron skillet,two axe heads and a roof rake
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11584 on: July 09, 2022, 01:31:31 PM »
I've kept a few large cents as well. From back when there was a standard tied to the value of metals as to what a coin was worth.
I'm always looking for cast iron cookware. Sometimes find nice ones with some value, but they usually "know what they got" and want two prices.

.... and axe heads. This is big wood country and axe heads are rare in these markets.

Sounds like a good day!
 :thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11585 on: July 10, 2022, 10:05:36 PM »
I think I have finally gotten my sprinkler system to only hit the grass and not waste water on the street or the sidewalk.
This has taken a while to get it right.
Some learning curve included. I've never had one of these systems before.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11586 on: July 13, 2022, 05:50:33 PM »
Some work on my trailer
Went to the Yale Art Museum
Dinner at the diner

George Bernard Shaw

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11587 on: July 15, 2022, 09:52:18 AM »
Flown back from Spain.  It was hot.  Like, really, really hot.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11588 on: July 15, 2022, 06:11:47 PM »
I did a big grocery shop. It took a lot longer than usual because I had an anxiety attack in one of the stores, so I had to come back home and chill out for a few hours and then go back and try again later. Still, I got it done and our home is stocked and ready for another week. :hadron:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11589 on: July 16, 2022, 05:46:30 AM »
If I go to our closest chain grocery store and it's not 7AM or near closing time, I have a similar reaction. I try to avoid going at Prime Time.

The store is so cluttered in the aisles with little stand up displays and people are so fucking rude and there are so many of them, I get a feeling of panic, but mine presents as an outward urge, like I should reach for my Viking axe and resolve some of the conflict. All those who aren't aggravating me would benefit.

I don't carry a Viking axe or a machete to the store, but many times I have to just sit in my car for ten minutes to listen to music, gather my calmness before I attempt traffic next.
At least I have that to lean on.

My wife does most of our weekly shopping and prefers to go early Sunday morning while all the self important, better than everyone assholes are going to their fake churches.
It works.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 07:19:25 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11590 on: July 16, 2022, 07:29:16 AM »
This morning, I spent time weeding our landscaping.
Rye grass grows like crazy from the golf course fairway rough, solid rye, that borders our yard to the east.
A full afternoon of decent rainfall and all night of light rain, the weeds give up easily. I even managed to pull up some thistle sprouts, root and all.

They say gardeners need to have a cast iron back with a hinge in the middle. My back is still strong, but that hinge is a little rusty. My times of bending all day are at an end.

Lots of detail left to do, but I filled a huge bag of yard waste!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11591 on: July 16, 2022, 11:24:22 AM »
If I go to our closest chain grocery store and it's not 7AM or near closing time, I have a similar reaction. I try to avoid going at Prime Time.

The store is so cluttered in the aisles with little stand up displays and people are so fucking rude and there are so many of them, I get a feeling of panic, but mine presents as an outward urge, like I should reach for my Viking axe and resolve some of the conflict. All those who aren't aggravating me would benefit.

I don't carry a Viking axe or a machete to the store, but many times I have to just sit in my car for ten minutes to listen to music, gather my calmness before I attempt traffic next.
At least I have that to lean on.

My wife does most of our weekly shopping and prefers to go early Sunday morning while all the self important, better than everyone assholes are going to their fake churches.
It works.

It's certainly happened before, but generally I'm okay in stores because I tend to get lost in my own head and I don't really notice other people. I'm much more likely to be overwhelmed by smells and sometimes noise. I usually grocery shop on Friday lunch break and then finish the rest of the errands after five, but I tried to do it all between one and five this week because Jack had the afternoon off with no lunch. However there's really no such thing as time off and there's always the subtle expectation that anything urgent will be addressed regardless the time or day, so Jack was reeling from being away from the computer too long before five.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 11:28:27 AM by Gopher Gary »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11592 on: July 16, 2022, 12:39:48 PM »
Went to garage sales then loaded the van for the flea market tomorrow

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11593 on: July 16, 2022, 05:09:41 PM »
I did my usual Saturday housekeeping chores. I got one car vacuumed but then it started raining, so I'll try the other one tomorrow morning before it gets hot. It's been raining so often lately I won't bother washing them since they look pretty good anyway.  :dunno:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11594 on: July 16, 2022, 06:35:23 PM »
Pretty sure we all need the rain in July! I know we do and after a good one yesterday, we still need more.