Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157545 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11535 on: June 02, 2022, 06:13:53 PM »
I love squirrels, wish I had more squirrels around, but I have ravens and hawks...and they love squirrels too. :zoinks:

Two ravens...they stalk me when I'm outside...perching in a nearby tree or on the roof making as much noise as possible because they want goodies. Took awhile for my husband to see them, he kept saying they couldn't be ravens...probably just crows.

Then he saw the braver one of the pair in the yard...huge bugger he is, shiny, gorgeous bird...as big or bigger then the red tail hawks that like to ride the wind...the hawks don't soar overhead as much anymore since he moved in with his mate. He just stood there saying "I've never seen a crow that big...wtf"

No you haven't because I told you...he's not a crow. Same family, different bird.  :lol1:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11536 on: June 03, 2022, 06:01:42 AM »
One of my nieces, in her forties, now (I've told many of her tales here), has raised a crow from fledgling stage. Saved it from traffic after being hit by a car.
She nursed it back to health, released it several times, does not keep it caged, but it lives with her still. Inside her house at times, poops in the tub. Yes I questioned that having a loose bird in the house thing, but she says he always goes to the tub to poop.
 :lol1:

Her crow goes away for a few days every so often, always comes back, comes right up to her with a shiny gift of some sort, usually a beer cap.
When she was a teen, she was this "super Goth type" and difficult, but she has turned into a rescue animal "professional" person with huge accomplishments on her belt.
Like when Hurricane Harvey dropped many feet of rain on Houston in a few days, she packed all her shit and drove down, spent three months to help rescue animals.

She has had this crow around for about twelve years, now. I don't know how long they live, but it always come right up to her after being gone for days at a time. The crow will even allow others to hold him perched as long as she is close. He will eat right out of my hand, for instance. He's a big boy, a very healthy, Indiana corn rat some call them.

Not really teasing her at all, but I've told her many times that all that Goth shit she used to do as a kid; having a freed crow as a friend blows all that kid shit away by miles and that she is now more Goth than ever before. The fact that she wears business pant suits to community meetings at times takes nothing away from her high level of Goth!
She's a treasure and loves helping animals.

One of my nephews, her cousin, lives up near the Michigan border. He's the maple syrup guy I've talked about, extracts, boils down and sells syrup for a living.
On his land, when we visit, we always see these huge black squirrels that are very aggressive, very vocal. They gather and chew you out for walking in their forest. They throw sticks at you for being in their area.
Fun to watch and beautiful! We rarely see those big black ones here in the central part of the state.
Our squirrels here are the smallish red and brown ones and they are more shy, but still a riot and I enjoy having them everywhere.

No hawks here that I have seen, yet, but many owls. I see one of them consistently, but I find dozens of owl pellets when I take the dog out. There seem to be quite a few smallish owls living here. Came up on a female rending a young thrush that was about the same size as she is. She left feet, beak and some feathers when she was done. I here kestrels at night, but haven't seen one yet.

It is a completely different wildlife balance from where we used to live, even though it is only a few miles away. I love our new home!!
Oh, and we have frogs and toads here that sing at night. They keep close to the ponds. There are six large ponds within a short walk, due to the golf course stuff.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11537 on: June 03, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »
 :laugh: I was Goth waaaay back in the late 70's. I remember painting my nails black with bottles of testor's gloss black model paint mixed with clear polish (I built a ton of models too)...because you couldn't find black nail polish anywhere for 50 miles in the rural farm community I grew up in.

MIL's neighbor let her old pool go, just about 4" laying in the bottom...frogs moved in right away. I go up and sit on her porch occasionally in the evening to chat...hearing the frogs now is awesome.

Maybe making a move myself here before winter, trying to see the good in it and look at it as a new adventure...like you have.  8)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11538 on: June 03, 2022, 04:27:55 PM »
I did a big grocery shop. I'm going to go back out this evening after the Friday crowds die down, so I can re-stock up on bottled water. I'm also going to buy air filters. I decided to start the deep cleaning schedule a couple weeks early because Sugarbutt has been having terrible allergy attacks the past week, so I'm going to deep dust. I've been sneezing too, and the dog was even sneezing earlier, so the advent of the raining season may be triggering mold growth or something. Whatever it is, Sugarbutt is getting the worst of it so I feel compelled to try to help him. :emosad:
:gopher:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11539 on: June 03, 2022, 04:32:20 PM »
Confronted several bitter truths and facts.  Liberating!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11540 on: June 03, 2022, 05:28:03 PM »
:laugh: I was Goth waaaay back in the late 70's. I remember painting my nails black with bottles of testor's gloss black model paint mixed with clear polish (I built a ton of models too)...because you couldn't find black nail polish anywhere for 50 miles in the rural farm community I grew up in.

MIL's neighbor let her old pool go, just about 4" laying in the bottom...frogs moved in right away. I go up and sit on her porch occasionally in the evening to chat...hearing the frogs now is awesome.

Maybe making a move myself here before winter, trying to see the good in it and look at it as a new adventure...like you have.  8)

We had no choice. We did our best to find all the positives. Was not that hard, honestly, once things finally began to "click."  The not knowing WTF we could do is what drained our energies the most. We were so lucky to find our new home in this scary market.

Hopefully, you have the chance to make your new adventure a FUN one!  I think it will work out for you.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11541 on: June 03, 2022, 06:27:48 PM »
Packed up the van for the flea market on Sunday
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11542 on: June 04, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
Played golf with a friend.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11543 on: June 04, 2022, 05:22:18 PM »
I did my weekly chores, plus I did a early schedule deep dust in the house. Funny enough, Sugarbutt didn't need to blow his nose or sneeze all day. Go figure.  :lol1: I still need to do the boy's room in the morning. Then I'll change the air filters. I'm really tired now, big dust day is a ton of work that makes almost no visible difference. One thing I really like, it's the only time when I use furniture polish, so the lemony smell of that stuff at least makes the house smell like I did something productive.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11544 on: June 04, 2022, 07:14:56 PM »
Mowing, trimming and some raking.

Had another fruit smoothie.
The day was hot outside! It felt great!!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11545 on: June 04, 2022, 09:17:57 PM »
Progress on my shop mess.

Almost have my table saw uncluttered.

I can't work because I can't find my tools. I can't tool because I have no place to work.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11546 on: June 04, 2022, 10:11:13 PM »
Took the cub to a "soccer" group.

Poor guy was used to coaching twelve year olds. He was lucky to have two out of six kids on the field at any given time. The moms at the sidelines were just kind of shaking their heads in sympathy.

The cub had fun? Sort of? He said he didn't like the game the guy wanted to play, which was trying to get the kids to kick the ball to each other, or at least be aware that they couldn't all have their own ball and part of the point of the game was to try and get the ball away from the other kids. But he did get his own ball and had lots of fun racing around the field kicking it and chasing it.

Preschoolers right?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11547 on: June 05, 2022, 08:10:45 AM »
Did the laundry got it dried, then went to the meat raffle with crush boi and his friends.

His other friends who were in the pokie room all night won 20 prizes, out of 60 that were on the table. They bought like $200 worth of tickets between them.
Other punters weren't happy  :laugh:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11548 on: June 05, 2022, 10:02:32 AM »
Got back from my solo outing to Portland Maine.  The theatre show was great.  The Hotel room not so much.  It was comfortable, but, I can see and hear why it was the cheapest one available.  Ground floor, hotel machinery noises and drunken idiots yelling outside the windows of my room.  Fortunately I was zonked that I slept thru the background noises and only woke up to attend to the old bladder.  So I got a decent nights sleep.  Navigated the highways coming and going.  And now chilling for the rest of my Sunday!   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11549 on: June 05, 2022, 03:26:00 PM »
Put some paint on a piece of furniture. Participated in a birthday celebration.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein