Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157618 times)

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11430 on: April 18, 2022, 04:01:30 PM »
Practically nothing... stayed home, attended to Dad's needs earlier.... apparently he had a craving for a Strawberry Milkshake

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11431 on: April 19, 2022, 08:27:09 PM »
Nothing much yet. Fed the cats and took meds.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11432 on: April 20, 2022, 11:47:40 AM »
Flew to Germany
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11433 on: April 20, 2022, 07:46:27 PM »
First full day of the diet.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11434 on: April 21, 2022, 10:02:46 AM »
Walked the dogs
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11435 on: April 21, 2022, 12:16:07 PM »
Took kid to driving lesson #4...2 more lessons and he's scheduled to take his test.  :asthing:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11436 on: April 21, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »
Took kid to driving lesson #4...2 more lessons and he's scheduled to take his test.  :asthing:

Good luck!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11437 on: April 21, 2022, 12:53:56 PM »

Good luck!

Thanks.  :thumbup:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11438 on: April 21, 2022, 04:21:33 PM »
Spent a day in a meeting designing a portal thingie that the company thinks will be a good and necessary addition to our offering. Then had a few beers and a terrific schnitzel with the colleagues.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11439 on: April 22, 2022, 07:02:15 PM »
I did the windows. It was supposed to be my big Saturday job, but I started early because Jack's going to ruin my weekend. I also got my trip to WalMart done and gassed up the car, so in the morning all I have to do is Aldi.
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11440 on: April 22, 2022, 08:01:30 PM »
Screwed the side back on to one of my raised garden beds. The screws keep pulling out, these things are kind of flimsy and I want to rebuild them someday when I have time. I'll probably be forced to as the wood crumbles. But for now it's semi solid again, with three inch screws this time.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11441 on: April 23, 2022, 07:56:18 AM »
Screwed the side back on to one of my raised garden beds. The screws keep pulling out, these things are kind of flimsy and I want to rebuild them someday when I have time. I'll probably be forced to as the wood crumbles. But for now it's semi solid again, with three inch screws this time.

When I gardened in home made raised beds at first, I set 4x4 cedar corner posts, just standing on leveled ground, 2x4 cedar stretchers between and cedar fencing along each side. The posts gave me something solid to screw into for a long time and the stretchers allowed me to replace the vertical fencing boards, one at a time, as they weakened. There was a lot of cutting of wood, but cedar was really cheap back then. Phosphate coated screws were also very cheap. Zinc coated would have lasted longer, but those have never been all that cheap.

Of course, I dug down about two feet deep for each 4x10 foot bed (easy to calculate area for nutriment additions, such as bone meal, blood meal and various phosphates) and back filled with pine tree cut-offs to compost over time.
Native soil here is limestone clay and can become a ten foot deep brick if not tilled well with lots of organic matter added.
Otherwise the soil is super fertile (just look at our magnificient forests here in Indiana!) with large amounts of iron and many beneficial compounds. Attract earthworms, fungi and bacteria with rotting logs beneath and nature takes over in a BIG way.

I went with cedar over redwood because it lasts longer, even though the redwood, being quite acidic, helps to neutralize the soil more.
I have no idea what your soil might be, but you'll have to have it tested yourself to know how to best proceed and which nutriment additions to make and which are "used up" by your growing specific plants in one spot.

Whatever you do, do not use any kind of "treated" lumber for any raised beds that you plan to eat from. Even though the treated lumber will last four times as long, some of the chemicals used to preserve the wood WILL leech out into the soil, contaminating your food. Not smart.

There are some man made composite materials safe to use for food growth, which last "forever."  That one point has always troubled me about these materials, though.  Kind of feels like we are trying to side step nature in some ways. My view, we've already proven time and again that we can't fool Mother Nature with our wit.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:36:32 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11442 on: April 23, 2022, 08:51:21 AM »
What have I done today? 
Coffee. Mainly.
My doctor's Physical Therapy homework assignments.

That's about it.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11443 on: April 23, 2022, 09:05:10 AM »
Sat on our deck, basked in the sunshine and drank some tea.  Pondered the imponderable and listened to bird sounds as well as the other sounds in our environment. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11444 on: April 23, 2022, 12:41:10 PM »
I have been planning this for a very long time, gathering the goods when I find them for sale, but nearly free.

I have collected a selection of twenty three of some of those cheap Chinese combination wrenches, we call them over here. The kind of wrenches like mechanics use with one end open and the other "boxed" or closed or hex.
The bigger, the better.

They have a high chromium content and break easily, but they ring like bells when you hit them.

I have made a wind chime using these crappy import wrenches as the "chimes"  and it sounds amazing. No one can see, because I used some wood to hide the actual bells, so it just looks like a magical wooden box hanging that makes "music."  It has worked out even better than I had thought it could.