Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157352 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11340 on: March 06, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »
Vacuumed the bathrooms and unclogged the master bath sink and shower drains.  Nothing like confronting the mother of all hairballs.   :viking:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11341 on: March 07, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
Showed a new arrival how to work with Git repositories.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11342 on: March 07, 2022, 03:47:38 PM »
Oh, and I also fed the family and walked the dog.  :2thumbsup:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11343 on: March 07, 2022, 04:16:51 PM »
Coming to the end of a craft project and looking forward to getting back to work from Covid exile.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11344 on: March 07, 2022, 04:30:05 PM »
You're feeling better I hope?

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11345 on: March 07, 2022, 05:29:52 PM »
You're feeling better I hope?

Yes. I am.  The Covid mental fog was mercifully brief and my coughing is ebbing.  Now its just the normal ADD and AS upon awakening mental fog.   :P

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11346 on: March 07, 2022, 10:50:22 PM »
hanged out with Dad, went to work, came home, now I'm basically wanting to get ready for sleep.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11347 on: March 08, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »
I have managed to access a few papers in reference to my interest in creating fractal based room diffusers. One popular and well established standard uses what has become known as Quadratic Residue Dispersion for listening room difussion, based on primes; higher prime number, the greater the bandwidth of dispersion characteristics. Every modern recording studio I've been in uses several and could benefit from twenty more, honestly. Most of them use too much absorption and end up "dead" sounding instead of lowering reverberation times by scattering offensive tones to address room nodes.

Unfortunately, most studies I've read are intended to benefit archetects designing better ways to disperse Ultra Low Frequency pollution from HVAC systems in large buildings and honestly some of that math is beyond my education level. But, I've got some of the basics.

I have had all kinds of fun doing this research. Many studies out there that cost $$$$$$$ to even read. One private study of fractal iterations for enhanced randomness cost over $1000 to access. One university site blocked my efforts with a posted warning from the Department of Defense advising me that, at my credential level, I was not allowed to view these Classified Documents. WTF!?!
Apparently we (our navy) are using fractal or non-integer based geometry to improve submarine stealth. SEE! I knew I was onto something with this fractal stuff, just did not think about running into that!

I haven't spent any money on this project, yet, but I now have enough background (confirming what I already knew, btw) to begin a plan for actually cutting some wood. The results will be panels with break-ups offering very precise randomness. How's that for an oxymoron?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:49:01 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11348 on: March 09, 2022, 04:24:00 PM »
Here is a person who is ahead of my game a bit. Notice how these are so much more "likable"  than the QRD designs based upon primes.
After some router table work, gluing, etc, mine will look something like this:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 04:25:57 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11349 on: March 09, 2022, 04:44:05 PM »
After my problems with walmart coming back from COVID leave.  I went there to shop and see what I could do to get things straight the "inhuman resource" person was there and she goes "Oh you have to contact the "Leave" people directly.  And after last night, I erupted and said, "So I have to jump thru some more hoops!"  And I was MAD as hell.  So she goes onto the website and in a few quick keyboard strokes goes to the website, fills in the blanks and, hopefully, (I have my doubts) I will be back on schedule.  Stay tuned children.......WALMART SUCKS!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #11350 on: March 09, 2022, 07:20:08 PM »
Here is a person who is ahead of my game a bit. Notice how these are so much more "likable"  than the QRD designs based upon primes.
That's very interesting, DirtDawg. It looks like a statement piece of art.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11351 on: March 09, 2022, 09:07:11 PM »
That's very interesting, DirtDawg. It looks like a statement piece of art.

Yeah, they do look nice, don't they. That's exactly why I wanted to build something like this guy built, rather than the "standard" diffusers which are fine and they work fine, but the typical acoustical room treatments are not so elegant or unobtrusive to the eye.

Some guys try to upholster the QRD type in order to maintain a reasonable WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor, a REAL thing in this audio world, if we are lucky enough to have a life partner). Of course that fabric covering interferes with the science of dispersing "echo" or "nodal" frequencies we are trying to address in our listening rooms.
Other guys just go nuts with popular diffusion elements and disregard WAF, to thier own detriment in some cases. Not me; I like my wife happy.

This is not a commercial environment. I mean, we live here. It is a wonderful home. We want things to STAY nice.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11352 on: March 09, 2022, 09:19:34 PM »

Hey, Oz, I'm glad your bout with Covid is subsiding. I still worry about this "Long Covid" thing they talk about at times. Even though I never got sick, I still can't taste mustard anymore.
Hope you continue to get better.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11353 on: March 13, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »
I don't know if I'm feeling run down today or just lazy, but I didn't feel like doing any big jobs this weekend so I didn't. Instead I ended up going on a speck hunt in the house.  Most everything is white which makes them very noticeable, so I always deal with specks and smudges when I do a big dust, but there were still a few that wouldn't come clean or they were actually small nicks in the paint, and I've been intending to do something about them for months. I even bought a tiny thing of back paint a few months ago because the kitchen has a black kickplate under the cabinets and it had a couple of scuffs and speck needing attention too. So today I went on a speck hunt with paint. The recent settling of the roof created a couple of hairline cracks in the kitchen and diningroom, in the edge seam where the wall meets the ceiling. Those had been bothering me so I grabbed some spackle and took care of those too. I wasn't going to do anything at all today, so I credit the random stranger on youtube for their inspiration. It was a video about inexpensive home update/refresh ideas like rearranging furniture and switching out fabrics and decor items. Then they said something about the mental impact of small repairs and talked about the crack in their ceiling. Next thing, I'm up on the stepladder and Sugarubtt wants to know what I'm doing. I'm searching for cracks and specks, of course.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11354 on: March 13, 2022, 03:42:34 PM »
Finished my craft project!   8)