Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 158621 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11295 on: February 18, 2022, 09:58:52 PM »
Not much. Knocked out from booster side effects.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11296 on: February 19, 2022, 06:45:50 PM »
It's big dust week so I did a big dust. I dust every week but big dust week is crazytime ceiling to floor, under and behind, and everything in between. I was telling Surgarbutt, even though it makes zero visible difference in the house, for some reason I always think the house feels cleaner. It's some weird sense of ultra clean I can't put my finger on, so I wonder if it's psychological and I'm just making myself feel better because it's so much work with no discernible reward. He said he could absolutely tell when I've done it. I got all excited and asked, how so? He said because he has to straighten everything.  I'm the sort of person who can't really tell if something isn't straight unless it's very obviously not, so I don't notice a picture or lampshade isn't perfectly level, if items on shelves aren't exactly centered, or furniture isn't perpendicular or evenly spaced. Not only is he the type who can see it but he also is compelled to fix it, and he goes around behind me nudging and tweaking all our stuff because I just moved everything and I can't see straight. I didn't know he did that, and I found it endearing and super hawt. :heart:
:gopher:

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11297 on: February 20, 2022, 03:57:47 AM »
Did my laundry. Sprayed my frangipanis with that mancozeb stuff to try and get rid of the plumeria rust. I think I accidentally got some mist spray on my neighbours washing :hide:. It put all heavy white water stains over my windows nearby that's for sure.
Emptied the sprayer and filled it with weed killer instead, sprayed random weeds front and back. Cut back the neighbours vines that were growing on my side of the fence.
Installed my new shower head in the ensuite.
Had a shower.
Finally got my wet washing in a laundromat dryer after much ado. Bought drinks from Coles and takeway dinner then came home.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11298 on: February 20, 2022, 06:08:39 AM »
I'm glad my laundromat days are over. Our place is small but there's a washing line outside the laundry. In winter we make do with a clothes airer inside.

Today I went to my friend's house for lunch. We had spinach and ricotta sausage rolls. Ice cream for dessert. As soon as we sat down to watch tv, she fell asleep. So I was watching tv by myself.

When I got home Kayleigh and I watched Cobra-Kai until tea time.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11299 on: February 20, 2022, 10:17:40 AM »
Worked, forgot to take a shower.

Can I be the first to say, "Eeeeeeewww!" or is that too obvious?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11300 on: February 20, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »

Brought a few things over from the old house. We are down to maybe two more trips or so. Still have some tools to gather which I kept back to finish STRIKING the old haunts. We now have five days to vacate the property, without applying for an extension and paying the city rent on the home they took from us. Sounds crazy, right?
:hair:

I feel certain we can get it all done.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11301 on: February 20, 2022, 01:03:52 PM »
Short road trip on my quest to visit every town and city in the state.  Did a few in eastern Connecticut: Franklin,Willimantic, Hebron,Columbia and a couple others
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11302 on: February 20, 2022, 01:39:59 PM »
Did a nice meditative walk.  Sometimes marveling in disgust at the human need to litter.  Oh well, I did my part.  Came home dumped the litter in the proper trash bin and then had a nice taco lunch.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11303 on: February 20, 2022, 04:05:19 PM »
Short road trip on my quest to visit every town and city in the state.  Did a few in eastern Connecticut: Franklin,Willimantic, Hebron,Columbia and a couple others

That sounds facinating, Parts. I hope you took pictures to share.
I actually made an attempt to do a similar trek across Indiana when I ended up here. Work got in the way, but I no longer have that as an excuse. So much history here and where you live as well. We just need more time for play.
 :2thumbsup:

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11304 on: February 20, 2022, 06:55:50 PM »
Dipped a toe into home audio wiring. I am a complete noob, but there are soundwaves.  :green:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11305 on: February 21, 2022, 07:25:06 AM »
Sounds like a win!

Cabling an audio system can be as simple as you need it to be, but there are many weeds on that trail. Avoid the thorns and if it works, you're done, mostly.

My garage sound system will eventually come together, but for the moment it consists of a twenty year old Teac receiver found at a yard sale, retired from the living room bluray player (chosen because it can play a data DVD of MP3s for six hours or more) and two tiny Yamaha bookshelf speakers all assembled out of the way for now, but it makes sound waves that I like.
Counting the win!
 :headbang2:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 07:27:39 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11306 on: February 21, 2022, 07:44:17 AM »

Today, woke up late after a great sleep. Sleeping in until six-ish is fairly late for me. Then grabbed coffee and went over to the old house for my big red Snap-on  tool cart, bicycle and I finally found my onyx hand carved chess set pieces, packed away. My onyx chessboard I found early on, but not being able to locate the pieces was beginning to disturb me. I thought I had lost them!

I used to keep an historical game set up in my listening room to think over and goof with at times. I intend to restore that practice in coming weeks.

Getting done over there, soon.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11307 on: February 21, 2022, 10:01:24 AM »
Sounds like a win!

Cabling an audio system can be as simple as you need it to be, but there are many weeds on that trail. Avoid the thorns and if it works, you're done, mostly.

The part I'm still trying to figure out is extending speaker wire so I can get speakers in the kitchen. I got an old Onkyo receiver cheap from a coworker who was moving, and my cd player recently died so I got a new one. I'm not organized enough to make big discs of mp3's so my alternative is a multi disc changer. The speakers from the old CD player are still good but they're bare wire ends and short wires. The receiver also came with a set of 5 speakers and subwoofer, and a couple rolls of speaker wire.

I got all of those wired except the two back ones because there's no good place to run the wires in the current room configuration. But the receiver also allows for B speakers, and I want to run extender wires round the corner into the kitchen and put the old CD player speakers there. I just twisted the wires together with my fingers but the connection is flaky and I still need to buy some electrical tape. Soldering is kind of beyond me yet.

Also with the wire running round the corner, the kitchen pocket door can't close, so I want to cut it and put in some kind of extender that can be unplugged from itself when the door needs to close. Theoretically I could drill through the wall behind the kitchen cabinets, but the fridge and oven are also wired through that wall so I'm not confident about doing that.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11308 on: February 21, 2022, 12:27:25 PM »
With temps in the 50's and the ground mostly bare here.  I took a long walk and picked up trash, 2 full plastic shopping bags worth.  I couldn't reach them before due to ice and snow, but, I wanted to finally get them before the ticks started getting active and the next snow storm or whatever we get on Friday rolls around. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11309 on: February 21, 2022, 02:32:04 PM »
Sounds like a win!

The part I'm still trying to figure out is extending speaker wire so I can get speakers in the kitchen. I got an old Onkyo receiver cheap from a coworker who was moving, and my cd player recently died so I got a new one. I'm not organized enough to make big discs of mp3's so my alternative is a multi disc changer. The speakers from the old CD player are still good but they're bare wire ends and short wires. The receiver also came with a set of 5 speakers and subwoofer, and a couple rolls of speaker wire.

I got all of those wired except the two back ones because there's no good place to run the wires in the current room configuration. But the receiver also allows for B speakers, and I want to run extender wires round the corner into the kitchen and put the old CD player speakers there. I just twisted the wires together with my fingers but the connection is flaky and I still need to buy some electrical tape. Soldering is kind of beyond me yet.

Also with the wire running round the corner, the kitchen pocket door can't close, so I want to cut it and put in some kind of extender that can be unplugged from itself when the door needs to close. Theoretically I could drill through the wall behind the kitchen cabinets, but the fridge and oven are also wired through that wall so I'm not confident about doing that.

Not sure what a pocket door is, but I might consider altering one corner of the door with a little wire sized gap (just big enough to allow that skinny wire to rest safely) rather than making a speaker cable connect/disconnect near the door.
Also tape works wonders, but a more semi permanent, superfast solution to connecting cables together is wire nuts. You twist the cables together and screw this little cone of insulation plastic onto the wires. Still might want tape to clean up the install a bit, but no more questions about a dodgy connection. Any store selling electrical stuff more complicated than an extension cord will have them in a number of sizes.

Drilling through walls can turn into an advanced endeavor. Great and "sanitary" solution if you know what you're doing. Not something I would suggest to someone struggling with the early learning processes.
it's all easy once you know how.

Another thing that can work for your back speakers is to slightly loosen the wall trim and gently stuff the cabling under and tap the trim back in when you're done. Also cables can just hide nicely in the bottom corners of a carpeted room, but you will need long cables to run around the room getting to your speaker locations. Not ideal, but easier to do if you are renting and have to leave things the way they were when you go.
 Use what you have, but you might need to buy some additional lengths of cable for the back speakers to make installation easier.

Good Luck!