Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157593 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #10980 on: June 25, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »
That sounds beautiful, you should post pics.

I would but my lack of computer skills makes that very hard to do.  My skills are rudimentary at best.  Anything that I have tried to post before has been "too large" for the format here. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10981 on: June 25, 2021, 03:14:52 PM »
Not sure who, but someone should download IRFANVIEW GRAPHIC VIEWER and learn to resize pics for free.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10982 on: June 25, 2021, 03:22:05 PM »
Everyone needs juniper near them. You can grow them in containers for years. Start now. I might try a "Green Mound"  or possibly a "Blue Rug,"  but I have only grown the rug variety. A neighbor has the "Green Mound" and it has similarly pleasant habits compared to the Rug one I grow and nice to touch, plentiful berries. There are many, but I prefer the NON poking, softer needled types. Super popular right now is the "Blue Star" and I wouldn't want one near me. Stunning in landscapes, but not very fruitful and very thorny needles. BTW, these are all considered to be creeping junipers. Too many junipers to talk about. Juniper trees are amazing, too. Get some.

Not much research necessary to identify an invasive plant.  Western Hemisphere has declared an undeclared WAR on invasive species. Go to what ever Canadian facility that emulates our County Extension Services and bring in a sprig of your invaders. They will know what it is and offer solutions for controlling it.

Easiest way to kill it all (I hate to say and I understand this method may not apply to a single, although awesome, mom) is a machete and some horrid chemical.
Going easy on the horror involving chemicals is to use a PH attack against the invaders. That might mean vinegar or lye type things, but identifying the invasive plant is FIRST. You have to know what you are fighting.

BUT, fucking plant a tree already. Make it a double!

Oh there's a machete in the basement somewhere, from cutting back banana trees when we lived down south (that was fun as hell) but I know nothing about the horrid chemicals. Neighbors have an axe they let me borrow for cutting up bits of stump in one area but I could also just go get one.

What I had been thinking about juniper-like was one of the tree ones with the awesome twisting trunks. What I ended up with was one of the creeping ground varieties.

Maybe I will try and get enough time off work to go to the tree nursery.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10983 on: June 26, 2021, 08:13:34 AM »
Went out to breakfast
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10984 on: June 27, 2021, 03:13:43 AM »
The #1 annoying invasive species around here is Japanese knotweed. Fucking thing just takes over.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10985 on: June 27, 2021, 06:32:33 AM »
The #1 annoying invasive species around here is Japanese knotweed. Fucking thing just takes over.

My Inlaws had a ton of it around their place in upstate NY.  Fortunately, they had a family of Beavers that loved to eat the stuff.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #10986 on: June 27, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »
Windows. The rainy season has arrived so used rainx on the exterior. Read about that somewhere. Never used it on the house, and unsure how the two-in-one compares to the original formula. How water repellant is to be seen, but will say it's excellent as a cleaner.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10987 on: June 27, 2021, 01:22:00 PM »
Had to replace a punctured tire that was unrepairable due to a hole on the edge of the sidewall of the tire. 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10988 on: June 27, 2021, 04:56:37 PM »
Oh there's a machete in the basement somewhere,

Favorite words of the day.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10989 on: June 27, 2021, 05:21:31 PM »
My basement is a mess. :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10990 on: June 27, 2021, 07:00:03 PM »

It's one of the top invasive plants around here too :thumbdn:

I went raspberry picking today
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10991 on: June 27, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »
I took the cub to the water park and ran through the water spray things with him.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10992 on: June 27, 2021, 09:17:57 PM »
Also yum, raspberries.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10993 on: June 28, 2021, 03:09:06 PM »

Easiest way to kill it all (I hate to say and I understand this method may not apply to a single, although awesome, mom) is a machete and some horrid chemical.
Going easy on the horror involving chemicals is to use a PH attack against the invaders. That might mean vinegar or lye type things, but identifying the invasive plant is FIRST. You have to know what you are fighting.

BUT, fucking plant a tree already. Make it a double!

Well whatever that bush was, it's now stakes holding up a new tree.

(I know I know. Still gotta do all the rest of it.)

The tree just barely fit into the car. Thankfully. I don't have access to a truck.... whyyyyy does everything take social skills.

Couldn't figure out the Juniper thing yet... looking at what they had, I'm not even sure what I want is a Juniper. Maybe. So I ended up getting a bush sized Amur maple. Which is small enough I stand a better shot at dealing with it. And had the advantage of also fitting in the car.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #10994 on: June 28, 2021, 04:45:07 PM »
looking at what they had, I'm not even sure what I want is a Juniper.
While there's many varieties, the gnarled twisted ones which look like giant bonsai, occur naturally in arid rocky regions. There are a couple of theories related to wind and the plant's method of water distribution as the cause of the twisting, though not all wild junipers do it. Outside of the desert, that particular look would likely have to be forced from a young age like done with bonsai plants.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 04:46:57 PM by Jack »