Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157448 times)

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #10515 on: July 31, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »
Undercoated my room and got some laundry dry.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10516 on: July 31, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
Got the last stuff out of the way so they could come and replace the oil tank
Began moving things back to where they belong after the oil tank guys were done
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10517 on: July 31, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
Did an online presentation at a conference. So weird to do this without an audience. It's like talking to a wall.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10518 on: July 31, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
I wore my mask at a socially distanced estate auction this morning.
This was actually a state run thing. Just a bunch of stuff that unknown dead people left behind, unclaimed by relatives and some tax involved bigger things.

I ended up with a vintage Kenwood eighty five watt receiver from the '70s, a Pioneer Dolby Pro Logic receiver (small, low power) from the early 2000s, a Yamaha stereo equalizer, SAE stereo receiver with parametric EQ (I used to have one just like it), a Sony turntable  from late '90s (not one of the desirable ones), a pair of Advent bookshelf speakers (not sure of the age, but these are from a time, long ago, when they were still offering bookshelf/compact speakers with twelve inch woofers) and a pair of Pioneer floor standing speakers from the '80s (bad era for Pioneer speakers). Also, I got four big boxes of older rock LPs ( about three hundred and my style for most of them).
The turntable came with an alignment aid, a stylus brush and a stylus gauge, so I have high hopes for the condition of the album collection. The few I inspected, "Dark Side Of The Moon,"  "Sabbath, Bloody, Sabbath,"  an Alan Parson Project, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Journey (I am sure there plenty of duds included as well) were in excellent condition.

I had to bid on each item separately (except the four boxes of albums was all one lot) because the one and only  "family member of the deceased"  who was there had already split the estate into tiny lots. That actually worked in my favor. I did not have to bid on the skanky old carcass of a Maytag washer to get my hands on the Kenwood buried treasure. :thumbup:

Sounds like a bunch of cool stuff, but I dropped one hundred ten bucks for everything, and forty of that was just the records. I literally bought the  classic Advent cabs for ten bucks for the pair. Hell, the damn name tag logo thingy is worth more than that to an Advent fan. Recreations of these tag/labels are selling for twenty bucks on ebay.

I haven't plugged in any of the electronics, yet. I intend to do so with great care using my ancient variac power supply. I am suspicious of all the caps inside these older consumer grade products of this age.  Mainly worried about the Kenwood and how it has fared with old age. All the speaker make sound, so, a few fun projects to restore.

I had forgotten this auction was today. One of my fellow travelers who I first met at an auction several years ago, called me just as I was getting home from night watch patrol, EARLY in the morning.
I am usually looking for tools or iron cookware at these things, but the only tool I bought was at another area, not part of the state mess. I also got a large  1/2 HP pedestal mounted (with pedestal) grinder for a hundred bucks, but hey, the pedestal is cast iron.

A really good haul today.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10519 on: July 31, 2020, 07:43:23 PM »
Did an online presentation at a conference. So weird to do this without an audience. It's like talking to a wall.

When people at my work present, we typically have a vibrant chat channel going, so it's more like a livestream than talking to the wall. It helps with that isolated feeling.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10520 on: August 01, 2020, 04:33:00 AM »
Did the first colour coat on my bedroom walls. It was a bit warm in there as well so it was difficult to keep a wet edge.
Oh well hope the second coat covers the patchiness.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10521 on: August 01, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »

When people at my work present, we typically have a vibrant chat channel going, so it's more like a livestream than talking to the wall. It helps with that isolated feeling.

There was a chat channel but I didn't have the time to look at it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #10522 on: August 01, 2020, 03:18:55 PM »
Woke up to a disturbance... got a haircut that I desperately needed... should be fine (for now)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10523 on: August 01, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »
Dropped something off at a friends house and had a good gab in her driveway, socially distanced and whatnot. Hadn't seen her since last year so it was nice.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10524 on: August 02, 2020, 03:32:39 AM »
Would like to see some friends again. Stupid virus.

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #10525 on: August 02, 2020, 12:35:25 PM »
While digging around my "wild" garden, I found some rocks to be used someplace else, then as I was hunched over doing some weeding....I spotted another rock that looked different.  Pulled it out and cleaned it up and it turned out to be a thumb sized piece of pink quartz.  And a nice specimen, too.  This is not the place to find them and so it must have been placed there before we got here.   :dunno:  Oh well, its mine now and will go into the appropriate box in our room with my other intriguing finds.  I never know what I will find over the course of a day.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10526 on: August 02, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »
Fed the family. Walked the dog. Watched the Space X landing.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10527 on: August 02, 2020, 06:05:18 PM »
Fed the family. Walked the dog. Watched the Space X landing.

Can't watch the landings all I think of is the Challenger  I didn't see it but my sister did, though from Sarasota the launches look like a line of smoke you can clearly see the flames when they had night time launches

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10528 on: August 03, 2020, 02:01:46 AM »
Your sister saw Challenger break up in 1986?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10529 on: August 03, 2020, 04:02:23 AM »
Your sister saw Challenger break up in 1986?

Like I said from where I used to live(Sarasota Fl) all you could make out was streaks of smoke in the sky when there was a launch.  She went out with her boss and saw the smoke trail going up and thought it looked different than usual,  she wasn't one to go out and look but did because her boss did,  they didn't know what had happened till they heard it on the radio.   I was at college working in the library in Ct when I heard   

George Bernard Shaw