Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157144 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #10050 on: January 29, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
Today is a bit below freezing. I used a chainsaw a bit again.
I have cut down and sawed apart two more peach trees.

I have six more to go. They never got over twenty feet tall, so they are easy to fell, chop up and rend for the barbecue. Biggest problem is the growing mass of useless but compost ready twigs with which to yet contend.
I am going to have to either have a quick bonfire or set another area for composting.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #10051 on: January 29, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »

What kind of chainsaw do you have?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10052 on: January 29, 2020, 05:28:46 PM »

I have two.
One is an eighteen inch smallish, homeowner quality Stihl, nothing great, about twenty years old, which I did not use for over five years. It just sat there because it would not start. Finally I gave up on all the over the counter replacement parts I could buy to replace quickly, gaskets, seals, spark plug, etc. I just parked it and let it collect dust.
A couple of years ago, about this time of year, I pulled it down and sent it over to our neighbor's shop who had just done a bang up job of reviving our Toro mower that my son had completely trashed in two years of use on a very small yard. The service guy found that the carburetor on the Stihl was cracked inside and replaced it.
Now, it starts on the second pull, almost every time, regardless of the air temperature. Age of the thing does not seem to be a factor. It works great and it came in very handy while I was taking down a half grown maple, which I had stupidly allowed to grow in a stupid place twenty five years ago. That tree was too close to the power lines and it was never a problem, until it began to be such a beast of a tree.

BUT, this year I have not even put gas in the Stihl.  I also have a (go ahead and laugh, Mr. Northwestern Woods forester guy) twelve inch cordless B&D battery powered little thingy.
It has no trouble cutting through the twelve to fifteen inch trunks I have used it for lately. It comes down to saw smarts and how you use your equipment. I seem to get through the main trunk, felling the trees and five or six more smaller side branches on one charge before I have to replace the battery.

Fortunately, I have a large number of B&D batteries to keep ready. I also have two cordless blowers, a weed whacker, two different size hedge trimmers, a small reciprocating saw, an orbital sander, two drills and a portable vacuum which all use the same 20V battery system.
I do have two larger amp/hour batteries, double the size of the standard ones, that came with the drills and the increase in usable power and time with the chainsaw is more than double.

Anyway, this little chainsaw continues to impress me and switching out batteries after twenty minutes or so is a small price to pay for getting to use such a light and maneuverable, yet powerful little tool.

When I get closer to finishing knocking all these down, I will have to get out "the real chainsaw" though. These fruit trees I have been cutting are shaped like an upside down funnel near the ground. At about knee high, where I fell them, they are twelve to fifteen inches in diameter, but at the ground they are twenty five or something as the roots spring out of the ball. That task will be easier with gas power.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:31:05 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #10053 on: January 30, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »

I have two.
One is an eighteen inch smallish, homeowner quality Stihl, nothing great, about twenty years old, which I did not use for over five years. It just sat there because it would not start. Finally I gave up on all the over the counter replacement parts I could buy to replace quickly, gaskets, seals, spark plug, etc. I just parked it and let it collect dust.
A couple of years ago, about this time of year, I pulled it down and sent it over to our neighbor's shop who had just done a bang up job of reviving our Toro mower that my son had completely trashed in two years of use on a very small yard. The service guy found that the carburetor on the Stihl was cracked inside and replaced it.
Now, it starts on the second pull, almost every time, regardless of the air temperature. Age of the thing does not seem to be a factor. It works great and it came in very handy while I was taking down a half grown maple, which I had stupidly allowed to grow in a stupid place twenty five years ago. That tree was too close to the power lines and it was never a problem, until it began to be such a beast of a tree.

When you read chainsaw message boards, Stihl is the brand that is favored by snobs on the board. Husqvarnas are considered inferior for reasons only a snob would understand. Both are a bit too pricey for me new but I luckily found a 20" Husky 455 Rancher slightly used at a good price.

BUT, this year I have not even put gas in the Stihl.  I also have a (go ahead and laugh, Mr. Northwestern Woods forester guy) twelve inch cordless B&D battery powered little thingy.
It has no trouble cutting through the twelve to fifteen inch trunks I have used it for lately. It comes down to saw smarts and how you use your equipment. I seem to get through the main trunk, felling the trees and five or six more smaller side branches on one charge before I have to replace the battery.

Fortunately, I have a large number of B&D batteries to keep ready. I also have two cordless blowers, a weed whacker, two different size hedge trimmers, a small reciprocating saw, an orbital sander, two drills and a portable vacuum which all use the same 20V battery system.
I do have two larger amp/hour batteries, double the size of the standard ones, that came with the drills and the increase in usable power and time with the chainsaw is more than double.

Anyway, this little chainsaw continues to impress me and switching out batteries after twenty minutes or so is a small price to pay for getting to use such a light and maneuverable, yet powerful little tool.

When I get closer to finishing knocking all these down, I will have to get out "the real chainsaw" though. These fruit trees I have been cutting are shaped like an upside down funnel near the ground. At about knee high, where I fell them, they are twelve to fifteen inches in diameter, but at the ground they are twenty five or something as the roots spring out of the ball. That task will be easier with gas power.

When I went shopping for a saw, I saw those at Lowe's and Home Depot. I considered getting one but wasn't sure if they would have enough power to cut down some of the larger western junipers on my property. Some of them are almost 2 feet in diameter at the base. Not only that, there's still no power on the property so recharging would be an issue. I figured a 3.5hp, 55cc 20" saw should be plenty to handle my needs. Maybe in the future I'll sell the gas saw and get an electric one. For the time being I like that it annoys Gretta Thunberg.  :green:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10054 on: January 30, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »
Walked the dogs
Dropped my daughter  at the train station
Cleaned up some around the house
Began sorting receipts for my taxes
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #10055 on: January 30, 2020, 05:01:06 PM »
Just got back from our indulgence trip to Boston.  Had a great gourmet meal at one of our favorite restaurants, a lot of walking and browsing, found a great little antique bookstore in the "Crossings area" of Boston.  Down a short dark alley and bought a bio of H. Rider Haggard (She, King Solomons mines, etc)  Carla brought a couple of poetry books.  It's the kind of place I could spend hours in.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10056 on: January 30, 2020, 05:37:51 PM »

I have two.
One is an eighteen inch smallish, homeowner quality Stihl, nothing great, about twenty years old, ...

When you read chainsaw message boards, Stihl is the brand that is favored by snobs on the board. Husqvarnas are considered inferior for reasons only a snob would understand. Both are a bit too pricey for me new but I luckily found a 20" Husky 455 Rancher slightly used at a good price.

I bought my Stihl twenty years ago, new, but I felt a need. Honestly, the main use that little fellow has gotten, after I cleared away some trash trees from our yard, has been when I hear my neighbor down the street blasting his chain saw. He uses a Poulon, but shows up with the bed of his truck overloaded with barely cut logs which he needs to render into fire wood.
I have used my chainsaw helping him way more than I have ever used it on my own property. I get a little exercise, I get to use a chainsaw AND, I get the perk of never having to ask for a stick of barbecue wood or filler for my backyard fire pit, if I run low.

I have no problem with Husqvarnas. If you find one at a great price only an idiot would pass it up.

I found a great deal on a demo model Husky mower a few years back. It had been used to show off its features at a Home Depot and they had it (used) on clearance for one fifty.
It was a four wheel drive twenty four inch, mulching mower that retailed for nearly nine hundred bucks.
Unfortunately, during the rash of theft we had in this town about five years ago, it was stolen out of my garage. Some one left the door open and away it went.

That incident and another "sweet little old lady" neighbor losing an entire outdoor dining table and chair set from her front porch in broad daylight is what finally influenced me to join the Neighborhood Watch program.
I had a "friend" in the police department and I had them bring in a few people to train us properly, make us legitimate and now it is a done deal. Someone from our neighborhood is watching the back allies and maintaining vigil over strange vehicles cruising the area.

When I went shopping for a saw, I saw those at Lowe's and Home Depot. I considered getting one but wasn't sure if they would have enough power to cut down some of the larger western junipers on my property. Some of them are almost 2 feet in diameter at the base. Not only that, there's still no power on the property so recharging would be an issue. I figured a 3.5hp, 55cc 20" saw should be plenty to handle my needs. Maybe in the future I'll sell the gas saw and get an electric one. For the time being I like that it annoys Gretta Thunberg.  :green:

Juniper is a soft wood. I can guarantee my little battery powered saw will knock down a two foot juniper in a couple of minutes or so. Biggest problem with those is all the sap and pitch that they bleed. Keep the blade well oiled as you cut. No problem, this saw has manual but onboard oiler, just like a real chain saw. 8)

No power, yet?  I might consider looking into a portable generator first, rather than looking at electric tools.
Having a generator is something any homeowner should consider, anyway. It is like keeping an extra magazine handy.
I only have a 3k, but it will keep my freezers and lights running if need be.

BTW, you can always charge your tool batteries from your pickup with an inverter.
 :headbang2:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:04:50 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10057 on: February 01, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »

I bit more. I got two more of those dying and unproductive peach trees down and rendered.

Oddly though, I am looking at some of these logs and thinking that peach wood is beautiful. I might set a few of the larger ones aside for lumber for small projects I enjoy doing.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10058 on: February 05, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »

Went to pick up bottled water. The place I favor is about eight miles away and I usually take all seven and sometimes the eighth of my five gallon bottles with me to be exchanged for full ones.

Stopped by Goodwill that sits over there on the way back and found a single cup French Press coffee maker for two bucks. It was set in with all the old storage containers that look like canning jars. Kind of seems like someone did not know what this thing was and just thought it was another old storage thingy.
It is brand new, probably a Christmas present someone thought was too much trouble to use.

It is a Bodum brand. Not the best, but it is brand new and instead of twenty something on Amazon, I paid two bucks.
I can not wait to try it out.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10059 on: February 05, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »
The PR to and from therapy,
Weekly B'fast with best friend
Meet with The PR's support coordinator.
Computtered
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10060 on: February 06, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »
Went to my psychologist for the second time. I think it's going well.
Went to Centrelink with a question about how much I can earn before my pension is cut off and of course the told me to go on their website. I found the info in a pamphlet instead.
Went to an art group and continued making my rag rug.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10061 on: February 10, 2020, 03:37:14 PM »
Got the youngest off to school. Planned meals for the week, made the grocery list and ordered the groceries. I can order ahead of time from a local store and they'll pick my order and have it all ready to be picked up and paid for when I arrive. Saves a ton of time and energy. Had a nap. Did some stitching. Usual dog care.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10062 on: February 11, 2020, 02:27:01 AM »
Got up and browsed the news. Had coffee. Started prepping for a meeting.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10063 on: February 11, 2020, 12:38:20 PM »
Took the oldest to his appointment. Helped him write an email to his boss about the results. Picked up the weekly groceries and drove him around to various stores so he could do his errands. Home for the day and happy about that.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10064 on: February 11, 2020, 04:41:53 PM »
The PR slept in until 4 p.m.  So no trip to therapy or bowling.  Ate b'fast, grocery shopped, did a wee bit of cleaning.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: