Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157604 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9990 on: December 27, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
Took the cub to a train museum.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9991 on: December 27, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »
Ooh, train museums are cool.

When I was a kid Sydney had ancient trains called Red Rattlers. The last one was retired in 1992.

My son was obsessed with them when he was about 7 years old. I managed to track down a train museum that had kept an old Red Rattler carriage and he was a very happy boy the day we went to see it.

My hair is thinning, and more white than grey. With a bit of colour it would look less thin, maybe.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9992 on: December 27, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »
We have a train museum not far from us that has an amazing collection. The oldest was train obsessed growing up and he still likes going there.

Today hasn't been a lot other than driving people around to where they need to be.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9993 on: December 27, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
It's early morning so all I've done is take morning meds and feed the cats.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9994 on: December 27, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
There was a train festival going on where all the model railroad junkies had set up some layouts, one in each gauge. I think for the HO scale, each person did a separate block of the layout and then they combined them into one big circle of track.

In the back there was a kids' train table of the same kind that I got him for Christmas, but big and fancy. Out back there were periodically full sized trains going by as well, and he got to watch them.

He had a fantastic time, and a big screaming jag when it was time to go home.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #9995 on: December 27, 2019, 07:11:54 PM »
Worked today... mostly cleaned the bathrooms, and did other tasks... just upset at myself for not getting the breakroom done :(

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9996 on: December 27, 2019, 08:34:48 PM »
There was a train festival going on where all the model railroad junkies had set up some layouts, one in each gauge. I think for the HO scale, each person did a separate block of the layout and then they combined them into one big circle of track.

In the back there was a kids' train table of the same kind that I got him for Christmas, but big and fancy. Out back there were periodically full sized trains going by as well, and he got to watch them.

He had a fantastic time, and a big screaming jag when it was time to go home.

There is an awesome model train museum in Jackson NH.  I really marvel and am impressed by the attention to detail and creativity of model railroad enthusiasts. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9997 on: December 28, 2019, 04:38:27 AM »
Not aware of a train museum around here but there is one where my sister lives, on the other side of the country. That one is pretty cool to visit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9998 on: January 04, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »
I bought groceries today, so I was able to use my new shopping bags I got for Christmas. :woohoo: I know it might seem silly to be super duper excited about something like new shopping bags, but they're really fancy and nice and I like them so much I want to hug them.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9999 on: January 04, 2020, 07:46:32 PM »
I understand, I get excited about things like that too. :zoinks: I can't help it, heh.

I've had breakfast and brought the washing in, folded it and put it away (it dried overnight).
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10000 on: January 05, 2020, 01:19:55 AM »
Today was interesting.
It was seven of us, four 9mm guys and three 45 auto guys all going way down range, shooting fifty and one hundred yards away. This all started because one of the 9mm guys had said that we few old idiots with our ancient 45 autos could not hit anything more than twenty yards away. We all knew better and challenged them to a shoot off. Oddly, I had to remind those pups that 9mm is even an older round than 45 auto, by about three years, but hey they started this shit.
Now, that shit all happened back in the summer.

Today, we all finally got together at a respected range and had a shoot off. All hand held, no bench rests.
Well, you know I would not sound all braggy if it had not gone well for my position. Three of the participants were local police officers, who NEVER have to pay for their own practice ammo. Two were 9mm guys and one was a 45 auto guy. So, they know their shit, basically, AND still disagree.

One guy brought a velocity scope recorder thingy to check each round as it went down range. Our targets were cut up 4x8 sheets of plywood, 3/4 inch thick and two feet wide by four feet tall - representing basically the size of the center mass of a human body.

Anyway, down to it ... Four of us can actually shoot well off hand, on our hind legs, my grandfather used to say, standing up straight, holding your gun in your hands and shooting. Pretty good test for a police officer's ability to shoot well, I might add as an editorial note.

As it turned out only two of the 9mm guys could hit a human size target one hundred yards away, while all the 45 auto guys hit with every round but one AT ONE HUNDRED YARDS!

Understand that in my book some threatening influence that is one hundred yards away is not yet a deadly threat to me, in my way of thinking. So I would never shoot at any threat while it is one hundred yards away. This was just an exercise in comparison between two schools of thought.

On the target at the maximum range, I missed one shot and another 45 auto guy missed one and one of the 9mm guys missed one shot. One of the 45 guys hit with every shot! The other 9mm guys all missed with more than one shot. One guy, the loudmouth who started this contest, missed four shots at one hundred yards.

I am so tired of hearing how out of date my chosen carry weapon is. "That old shit is over a hundred years old! What can you do with that old thing?"
Well, I can do anything you can do with that same ancient 9mm crap.

I guess some of it has to do with the fact that so many manufacturers have continued to "redevelop" and continuously improve the modern 9mm types while the same manufacturers have mostly just refined and only brought up to date, the venerable and long lived 45 auto.

But no more shit about how the 45 auto is only effective as a close range (meaning inside one room) combat weapon. These things can still surprise.

Another item: at one hundred yards there were multiple hits off target that hit the structure of the targeting area. Only the 45 auto penetrated the plywood target AND the four by four posts holding everything together. All the off shot 9mm rounds ended up inside the big posts and none of them penetrated that much mass at that range.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:23:30 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10001 on: January 05, 2020, 01:28:54 AM »
I know that there will be 10mm guys assuming that their chosen round is better (and on paper it certainly is more powerful than either of the other common carriers) out the wazoo wanting to go challenge all of us to the same tests, but it all comes down what my grandfather said.

Stand up on your hind legs and hold the gun in your hands and then, can you shoot?

Because that is the way you will be shooting in an emergency situation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:31:09 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10002 on: January 05, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »
I bought groceries today, so I was able to use my new shopping bags I got for Christmas. :woohoo: I know it might seem silly to be super duper excited about something like new shopping bags, but they're really fancy and nice and I like them so much I want to hug them.  :lol1:
So much truth!! I got to use mine for the first time last week that I got for christmas
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #10003 on: January 05, 2020, 10:37:05 PM »
Worked at walmart on a cluster fuck weekend.........huge truck deliveries, short staffed, broken equipment, asst. mgrs. who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, blind customers, and nothing got done.  Pretty typical actually.......so I go into "I don't give a shit mode, do my job and at the proper time punch out and go home".   I'm too old to give a damn about trivial store politics.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10004 on: January 06, 2020, 03:39:31 AM »
Volunteering at the Salvos. Geez I wish people would stop donating rubbish.
Tek'ma'tae