Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 162822 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9930 on: November 02, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »
If only these ignorant assholes had read Shakespeare!
They think that changing the name of something changes it, some way. Liberal morons!

So, we suffer from these type of notions by having to live with "Daylight Savings Time"  here in Indiana. A few years ago, only Indiana and Arizona were the hold outs, resisting this idiotic idea. Both States well known for maintaining personal liberties, despite bleeding heart types whose knees jerk constantly.
Well, it seems that we have been over run by the jerking knees and succumbed to this notion that moving the clocks actually makes sense.

Today, I have done all the things that go along with twice a year duties - changed back up batteries in all of our in house detector alarms, drained out the lime from the water heater, disconnected and coiled all the hoses and stored them for winter, changed all the filters in the volumetric air control system (actually that one is monthly, but today was a good day to NOT die), drain and restore the tap water filtration system, etc, etc.

I have already changed all my clocks.
:hair:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9931 on: November 02, 2019, 11:09:48 PM »
Your winter preparations sound intense.

Personally, I never had a problem adapting to daylight savings time. It was just an hour which is not a lot of time to me. Change the clocks and go to bed an hour earlier or later and it's done.

We've had it three times I think over the years and we and Queensland won't have it again. Queensland has it tougher though, because a lot of people live and work near the state line where they have to go to New South Wales to their houses and work. New South Wales has daylight savings time so that means Queensland is an hour behind them.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9932 on: November 03, 2019, 06:21:36 AM »
We have DST here too. Now that my kids are older I don't care as much but getting the dogs to adjust is worse than toddlers ever were.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9933 on: November 03, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »
Went to the diner for breakfast
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9934 on: November 03, 2019, 11:43:08 AM »
Killed two wasps trying to get into the house.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9935 on: November 03, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »

Finished up two projects hanging over my head, not quite finished. Now, no more worries.

I can start new fun stuff. :headbang2:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9936 on: November 03, 2019, 02:02:39 PM »

Finished up two projects hanging over my head, not quite finished. Now, no more worries.

I can start new fun stuff. :headbang2:
That always feels good, getting the have to dos out of the way.

Today I took care of my friends cats and turtle, then came home and slept few hours. Trying to beat this bronchitis. Just finished my weekly meal plan and grocery list. So ahead of the game since I didn't have to do it until tomorrow.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9937 on: November 04, 2019, 06:40:49 PM »
Felt like I spent half the night running around after Liam. Whenever he wanted something, he clawed my bedroom window fly wire. Twice I had to turn the shower on so he could drink out of it, then I fed him, then he wanted me to watch him eat (infuriating), then he wanted to be let out into the backyard. He was very vocal about that.

Then Mollie wanted to be let out and back in again, then both she and Kira wanted to be fed. It was about 7am by then.

Bloody cats.

I can see a nap coming up this afternoon.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9938 on: November 04, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »
got my car serviced.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9939 on: November 05, 2019, 03:04:25 AM »
I had a nap then I talked to my mum on the phone for about an hour, heh.

My optometrist appointment went well, there is no change to my prescription for once. I just have to take my glasses off when I want to read or do anything close-up. I found some frames I wanted - $275. Wow. But my private health insurance covered all but $50. So I paid that. Now I have to save for my Irlen lenses.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9940 on: November 05, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »
voted

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9941 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:04 PM »
voted
Good on you. :plus:

Today I've been for a walk with my support worker. I have also put on a load of washing, black clothes for volunteering.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9942 on: November 06, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »
Actuallly, this "thing" began yesterday. When it turned cold, I reversed the ceiling fans and suddenly the two main ones developed a kind of disturbing swing and out of balance look and the one in our dining room was actually making a noise.

The third one in our master bedroom seemed fine. The one over our dining room area was demanding attention, so I got out my ladder and investigated. I found that three of the giant blades were so loose that I could move them with my hand. We were about to have an airborne guillotine situation develop.

After tightening all that up, lubricating both top and bottom bearings, giving it an OCD cleaning, that one was perfect with no more noise and no out of balance behavior. I felt great.
 :2thumbsup:

The one in the living room is a bit different and actually has a built in channel that makes oiling the bearings very easy. I had never taken it apart, but it was in need of a decent balance job after all these years. SO, back up on my ladder, the first thing I did was to remove the motor from the hanging mechanism so I could check all the connection points for stability, balance and overall cleanliness. Really though, even considering that this unit is quite old the so called "balance" should not change over time, except due to EXTREME wear in the bearings or looseness somewhere as with the other unit.
I was resolving myself to preparing to replace the bearings. Not that hard of a job, but involved.

Back on the ladder again, I am taking the top hanger hardware apart to inspect THAT mechanism when I discovered that when this thing was hung up in the ceiling the install hack only used one screw, instead of the two required and on top of that he did not even use a proper machine screw, but a fucking drywall screw. Anyway, we have been sitting under this dodgily hung ceiling fan for twenty seven years we have been in this house (YES, our mortgage is almost paid off!!).

I ended last night by shoring up the mounting area inside the ceiling that supports the weight of this fifty five pound fan and its spinning torque and re-tapping the hole for a larger screw where the idiot put the wrong type of screw in, finding two good screws, cinching all that up solid as it is supposed to be, re-setting the hanger extension bar and positioning the trim piece which has been "crooked" for years. I now know why it was crooked up there.

Today I have taken the motor apart and serviced the bearings, replaced the little felt washer thingies that protect the finish on the blades from the solid brass of the arms that hold them to the shaft of the motor. I did not bother to mark which blade came from which spot, as I learned many years ago, because the fan has been hanging crooked for years and will need a full re-balance of the blades anyway.

Now I am waiting for some help getting this motor back into position and re-installed properly. My son was handy last night while taking it down, but he is at work, now and my wife is enjoying her normal sleep time after her return from work at around four AM this morning.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:06:08 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9943 on: November 09, 2019, 10:04:45 AM »
The last planter has been emptied into the woods and that ends that for this year.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9944 on: November 09, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
Had a greatly needed 2 hr nap.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad