Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157296 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9345 on: November 16, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
Took a ride...looked at some property.

About 5 1/2 acres and a trailer in the middle of nowhere.

Nice area, but the main property was low and cut in the middle and back by two streams that look like seasonal flood risks, the trailer is beyond saving, and 3 acres are straight up a cliff.

Yep, that would send up a red flag considering the amount of rain we've had recently.  I love the sounds of a stream, but not that close especially thinking of the spring thaw!  And trailers, well, you can't fix those like a regular house.

Always wanted a stream in the back yard...or overlooking the river on a hill...I like being close to water, but not in my living room close. :laugh:

Or through your living room, kitchen, basement....... ;)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9346 on: November 17, 2018, 04:47:34 AM »
Came back from my holiday at dad's. Just like in April I took a long detour back, the full length of the Gwydir Hwy from Walgett to Grafton. 12 hours.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #9347 on: November 17, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
I got drunk
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9348 on: November 17, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »
Worked some mostly just showing the general contractor what needs to get done before I start
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9349 on: November 17, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »

I actually went looking for a contractor today. Have an issue that has been encroaching upon my comfort for a while, but it is time to make the proper moves and get it all done.

Wish you lived within driving distance, Parts.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9350 on: November 17, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
Other than that horrid personal note, I have increased my "ready for use" wood pile.

Over the past two months I have cut down three smallish (little over a foot in diameter trunks) hickory trees, four smaller redbuds, a larger maple.
Today, I cut things into more manageable lengths and made a seriously awesome stack of really nice wood for the spring firepit nights.

Just to clarify, I HAD to cut these trees down to prevent them from interfering with power lines. All were squirrel planted or volunteered to grow, but they were all in bad places. Loved them for years, hated to see them go but I HAD to cut them down.

All that work was done with a battery powered chainsaw. My wife bought this chainsaw for me a few years ago and I used it some and was a bit impressed, but until I actually bought a few more batteries and got down to business with the thing, I was just OK with it.
Now that I have four batteries (first one on the charge is ready by the time the last one dies, so not stoppage in work)  I can just go until I CAN NOT go anymore.

Made a new pile. Still have about a waste high pile of oak, about five feet long, from last year that I will probably go through this winter before the weather becomes so yuck that even being outside at all is not pleasant.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:08:23 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9351 on: November 17, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
Met with a friend. Walked the dog. Did stuff.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9352 on: November 17, 2018, 03:13:44 PM »
Just to help you understand about the squirrel planted comment, I did my best job in years of mulching over everything in the garden this year. I walk around and I lost count at forty something of squirrel plantings.
Easy to see with fresh mulch down.

If left for ten years, those acorns will be fifteen feet tall or more, endangering power lines.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:02:47 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9353 on: November 17, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »

I have concluded that our dog had lost some of his pack mentality when we got him. Going outside by himself has been a battle we have only just overcome. He expects a walk with a harness and a leash, etc. Even at first when I went with him to the back yard, he would either want to play or just sit and watch or chase birds. He would not do any "business"

It has become apparent that he was raised by an old person who lived alone, never had visitors, lived in an apartment with no back yard, then suddenly died and no one in the family could manage the little guy, because he had become SO protective of ONE person and that person was no longer there.

Anyway, getting the dog out to the back yard was a challenge at first, but he will follow me out and today I spent a lot of time making noise (with my chainsaw) and he seemed to keep busy with his bird aversion. It's like NOTHING that flies can land in his yard.

He must be walked and I insist three times per day, but Making progress on getting him to go out to the back yard has been looking better lately.

To think that four families had tried to adopt him and brought him back to the pound because they were not able to figure out his behaviors has been a really wonderful thing, because, NOW, we have him and we love him and he is an amazing little fellow who only ever needed to be understood and loved.
So, in reality, I have four families to thank for rejecting him and allowing us to find him and save him.

Oh, and living among a pack, his instincts seem to have come back. He checks on everyone of us before he calls it quits for the night. During the day he makes his rounds of the family making sure we are all cool, typical pack mentality. I am so glad to see this.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:59:14 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9354 on: November 17, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »

I have concluded that our dog had lost some of his pack mentality when we got him. Going outside by himself has been a battle we have only just overcome. He expects a walk with a harness and a leash, etc. Even at first when I went with him to the back yard, he would either want to play or just sit and watch or chase birds. He would not do any "business"

It has become apparent that he was raised by an old person who lived alone, never had visitors, lived in an apartment with no back yard, then suddenly died and no one in the family could manage the little guy, because he had become SO protective of ONE person and that person was no longer there.

Anyway, getting the dog out to the back yard was a challenge at first, but he will follow me out and today I spent a lot of time making noise (with my chainsaw) and he seemed to keep busy with his bird aversion. It's like NOTHING that flies can land in his yard.

He must be walked and I insist three times per day, but Making progress on getting him to go out to the back yard has been looking better lately.

To think that four families had tried to adopt him and brought him back to the pound because they were not able to figure out his behaviors has been a really wonderful thing, because, NOW, we have him and we love him and he is an amazing little fellow who only ever needed to be understood and loved.
So, in reality, I have four families to thank for rejecting him and allowing us to find him and save him.

Oh, and living among a pack, his instincts seem to have come back. He checks on everyone of us before he calls it quits for the night. During the day he makes his rounds of the family making sure we are all cool, typical pack mentality. I am so glad to see this.

My dog has an almost manic urge to guard her pack. She's suspicious of anyone outside it while loving anyone in it. She's an active one and needs to be walked a lot, preferably long walks, but she also needs to engage her brain.

I love her to bits. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9355 on: November 17, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »

My dog has an almost manic urge to guard her pack. She's suspicious of anyone outside it while loving anyone in it. She's an active one and needs to be walked a lot, preferably long walks, but she also needs to engage her brain.

I love her to bits. :)

I feel we are getting back to that behavior with  our dog which is perfectly normal, and mostly we are.

Brain? Yeah, he is so smart and so attentive of his pack. We are getting there with him.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9356 on: November 18, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
Went for a walk then submitted my application for the bank job.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9357 on: November 18, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »
Stapled up netting used a box of 5000 staples and ran out before the second floor was even done :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9358 on: November 18, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »

Will you buy me something when you get your fancy bank job?  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9359 on: November 18, 2018, 11:15:24 PM »
Will you buy me something when you get your fancy bank job?  :zoinks:
Of course. If I get it, it would mean $10,000 for three months' work.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae