Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157965 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9195 on: September 08, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
Went to a few tag sales
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9196 on: September 08, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
Find any treasure?

I almost always find "something."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:26:18 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9197 on: September 08, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
Spent some time with The PR partially clearing out her room.  Two large trash bags of stuffed animals to the thrift store, one large trash bag of trash so far.  And I found $2.26 - my reward for helping.  Finders keepers...
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9198 on: September 08, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »
Almost finished my experimental nanotech based speed cook :) :heisenberg:
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9199 on: September 09, 2018, 04:35:44 AM »
I DID test run the plastidipping today. The rear badge turned out not so good as maybe I sprayed too much on, but I went ahead and did the trim on one door. Yes now my doors are mismatched :laugh:.

My god it's arduous masking everything off though! It seemed to take about 90 mins alone! None the less I masked off another door to do in the morning.
It's the same with house painting - they say the preparation takes the most time. Post a pic when you're done? :)

Today I went to see my dad. He lives in a retirement village. We just had lunch and watched football all day.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9200 on: September 09, 2018, 05:19:27 AM »
Despite all the masking there was still misty overspray! I didn't work out till today that bug splat remover works wonders at getting it off (as opposed to the elbow grease I was using last night. Now the swirls on my rear quarter panel are back  :'()

I've gotta find time to do the other side and the grille. My CA Program starts tomorrow though.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9201 on: September 09, 2018, 07:11:00 AM »
Been on my back deck drinking coffee a bit this morning. It has been raining for three days, not like Noah needs to speed it up, but just a slow drizzly, soaking rain, which we desperately need this time of year if we expect decent fall color next month.

I do not quite get what this is, but I usually experience a couple of instances of hummingbird visits to my yard most days. Today (and in previous years around this time, but not in rain) I have seen more hummingbirds than I kept count of. Not just the same one either since I have seen several out there at the same time, boys and girls. It is rainy though and you would think that these teeny tiny, smaller than my thumb birds would not enjoy being soaked and would "stay in," but no, these are marauding right now, in the rain.
All the flowers are closed up as well, except for my viburnums, which do not close up.

Awesome to watch.
But ...
 :dunno:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9202 on: September 09, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
Well I finished it, successfully I might add, first time with this new nanotech method and it worked like a charm. A slight pink discoloration (this appears to  be rather common with amphetamine, and is quite possibly due to the salting, and how precise it was. I just added a couple of drops of conc. sulfuric to the upper layer after salting it out with caustic base, and it was the portion that was't immediately crystallized, but rather, remained in contact with the acidified layer for longer that turned a pinkish colour in some areas of  the dried material.

But the portion that was prepared in isopropanol and subjected to short-path distillation of part of the isopropanol solvent,  and subsequently crashed out with anhydrous acetone, dried for several hours over 3A molecular sieves, it just started falling out in a snow-white flurry, like a snowglobe, absolutely perfect colouration, snow white sulfate falling out  after the acetone crash, and leaving it in the fridge for a bit to settle, the pink stuff, it was  just the portion that couldn't be rapidly stripped and was left to dry in the air, with a little water present.

Going to need more copper (II) chloride and ASAP. This copper nanoparticle based method, I'm liking it already. No noxious  mercury slops that are a nightmare to work up,  a nightmare to clean and a nightmare to recycle or dispose of the toxic waste left behind, no need for multiple  distillations under hard vacuum to purify amphetamine freebase before transfer to a little isopropanol dried over quicklime (calcium oxide) adding the appropriate quantity of sulfuric acid, and finally giving it a crash with anhydrous acetone which has been cooled in a cryogen mix bath to below zero (the acetone crash works by virtue of the fact that the product is soluble in isopropanol, but is not soluble in acetone, so by diluting the solvent the product is dissolved in once it has been worked up and purified, it forces the goods out of solution, and it quite literally crashes out right before your eyes.

Finished the work at about 7-8AM, had a taste, and after, maybe four  little bumps insufflated, and its nearly half 2 pm now, and the time has just flashed by without my noticing it.

In fact I'd be working on something else, the preparation of some white fuming nitric acid via  distillation of a nitrate salt and concentrated sulfuric, for dissolving copper, as the other acids I have, atm, HCl, H3PO4, H2SO4, not sure about HI2Cl, I've done nothing with this weird arsed hydrohalic acid bastard  child of HI and HCl...two iodine atoms and one chlorine in a hydrohalic  acid..what the fuck...but apparently iodine  monochloride does hydrolyze that way. And sulfamic acid again I'm not sure of. Citric acid sure won't do. But I do know copper is rapidly and effectively attacked by nitric acid, due to its powerfully oxidizing nature. And using fine copper dust with a very high surface area, it should dissolve easily, giving off rather noxious, toxic NOx fumes, so gas mask needed and good ventilation and air extraction needed as well.

I kinda wanted to do the distillation and produce the nitric acid, subject the red fuming nitric (it builds up NOx fumes over time, and can shatter bottles due to pressure evolution if not regularly vented, so white fuming nitric is far more desirable and nicer to handle than RFNA) But I can forgive myself as it isn't laziness, even with the phet pushing me, my back is sore, from sitting at a really uncomfortable little plastic bench,  wrong height, no back support, and I'm aching all over my back now because of it, and staying up for all day, all night working  away. I've done my share of work  for now. Anything that doesn't involve stretching out over the sofa can bugger off:heisenberg:

Just going to spend today kicking back, lazing on the sofa playing heavy industrial metal and enjoying the fruits of my labours :)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9203 on: September 09, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »
I voted today.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #9204 on: September 09, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
Despite all the masking there was still misty overspray! I didn't work out till today that bug splat remover works wonders at getting it off (as opposed to the elbow grease I was using last night. Now the swirls on my rear quarter panel are back  :'()

I've gotta find time to do the other side and the grille. My CA Program starts tomorrow though.

Looks really good from the picture I saw.

Thinking about doing my wheels with that stuff, flat black and then a chameleon or a violet topcoat.

Went to a birthday party today, crowded because of the rain everyone was crammed inside. Hid in a corner and played with the dogs as usual.  :laugh:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9205 on: September 09, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »
A) Continued house clearing and cleaning
B) Laundry
C) Put out trash
D) Shared some groceries with a friend
E) LOTS of emotional support and hugs were handed out
F) Played Fishdom on the computer

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9206 on: September 10, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »
Got all that banking shit done this morning.
My strategist guy did something I was not expecting to go so smoothly, but it is done. After getting all the Re-Finance crap taken care of and my asking a couple of times about what this other stack of paperwork was about, He produced another set of papers to peruse, all set out in case I was wanting to do this -

Anyway, we started this whole thing with my wanting to pay off the house with my "maturing thing" and wanting to keep my taxes minimal. All the while telling them that we want to buy my wife a newer car this summer.
Then my mom got really ill and ...
They have been working and analyzing all our stuff and basically offered us an instant line of credit account with a standard looking credit card to access it with a 5.9 per cent rate and a one hundred forty thousand dollar limit (representing the equity in our home) in order to (give us our best chance of paying them even more) help us get into a newer car.

I decided to take it, despite the fact that we already got her a newer car. I told him that the thing had already happened. He asked the interest rate and told me that car dealers often beat his interest rate by more than half with those customers who have verifiable good credit scores.

Thing of all of this is that my mom's health is failing and my brother insists that he wants nothing to do with her property (he wants to just sell it all to whoever and be done with it all - I have other ideas) which we will inherit jointly after she is gone (which I hope is a long time in the future, BTW!!).

I am now set to go to any bank and give him his half in cash or check and I will be able keep the entire acreage. I do not want this to happen any time soon, but now I can relax with the knowledge that I will be able to keep the entire acreage (my mom's part of the old homestead - twenty something acres in west Texas) within our family.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:25:50 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9207 on: September 15, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »
Cooked a big bowl of pasta, started to eat said pasta.

I had a full pack, unopened, and a part of another pack, that I fucked up completely, because I had a seizure and attempted to cook it in isopropanol, courtesy of the (to borrow a pithy and apt phrase from a certain lovely wee smartarsed, smart-mouthed 'lil foxpot of a lady by the name of Kassiane) 'post-ictal shitty' which scrambled my head pretty thoroughly. Some went on the floor too, and  the rest was of course,utterly inedible, took one bite and realized immediately that it had in fact been boiled in anhydrous isopropyl alcohol, dried thoroughly then stored over quicklime to keep it free of water; immediately spat it out in disgust. I HATE the smell of iPA, and OMFG! the  taste! jesus H christ is it ever cunting foul. Jesus god on an arse-spike, that was abhorrent!

So I did an extra large helping of the same kind of pasta, the leftovers of the pack that the rest of it got boiled in isopropanol when it was meant to be cooked in salted water, there wasn't enough for a meal in that partial pack. So I added the uncooked (or rather; the bit that didn't get stewed in isopropyl alcohol because of the post-ictal shitty.) and not insubstantial bit of extra pasta to the full pack that I would generally eat for a meal.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #9208 on: September 16, 2018, 07:55:43 AM »
Made coffee and breakfast.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9209 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »
IQ is ahead of me.  I've only made coffee.  The Bologna sandwich will have to wait.