Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157659 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9120 on: August 05, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
When I see stuff like that, I think about the people who will have to deal with the hoard after they're dead.  :lol1:

OH, there are some people who make a decent living taking care of shit like what you described.

Not sure if you saw a recent post and ongoing drama about an old handmade viola in a hand carved case or not, but the guy who showed me this makes his living going to family estate auctions (and I suppose, performing a kind of cleaning service?) buying it all and disposing of it in his time after they just want to be done with it all.

Sad in a way, but a great way to find old stuff.
I have him constantly looking for LPs, BTW and they are becoming more and more difficult to find in these kinds of sales. It is like the kids get rid of dad's old records first.
It has been a while since he called me with a large haul, but he has helped me fill an entire wall of my garage with awesome albums from all genre and all era.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:47:39 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9121 on: August 05, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
I'm not planning on dying in the forseeable future, but I've started selling jewelry that I know The PR won't want or wear.  Also started giving away "extra" items I've accumulated.  Example - I have 3 two cup measuring cups.  Don't know how I got 3, but 2 are going.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9122 on: August 05, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
Helped a friend move part of his record collection.  This is just some of the 15000 or so 45s :o

WOW, I thought I had a big collection!    :o
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9123 on: August 05, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »
I'm still working on sorting WolFish's stuff. First priority is the stories, I'm sorting them by world and setting them up with some larping props in proper cubbyholes in the set of shelves in the living room, with the most important books in the lawyers' cases under the window. There's artwork too and a few of the best pieces are getting framed and put up.

There is still a room and a half of boxes in the basement, waiting to be opened and unpacked, so that I can then move the workshop stuff out of the family room it's currently occupying and into the room that was supposed to be the workshop. The guest bedroom is the half-full room but at least there's now room in there for a double bed and space to unpack a couple suitcases.

My current sadness: I've found parts to at least four blenders/food processors, but the only one that's complete, I can't get it put together right. There's a metal crank thing on the inside which won't go in tight enough so that when the blender is turned on, it just spins uselessly instead of turning the blades. The cub is starting on solids this month and I would love to make them myself instead of buying the storebought crap, but I don't yet have the equipment.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9124 on: August 05, 2018, 10:48:43 PM »
I'm not planning on dying in the forseeable future, but I've started selling jewelry that I know The PR won't want or wear.  Also started giving away "extra" items I've accumulated.  Example - I have 3 two cup measuring cups.  Don't know how I got 3, but 2 are going.

This is a kind of blessing to your offspring that may only be understood by a few.

When I recently traveled to Texas to visit my mom in the hospital, things looking kind of grim, I stayed at her house. It is so PACKED with so many things - she is a collector, I am a collector, my dad was a collector, etc but my brother is not and has never been.
She has so much furniture in her house that, even though it is fairly large in square footage, there was no place for me to stretch and do my daily "old man yoga" which I MUST do every single day or I have troubles. I had to find some place outside to stretch out.

My brother says just burn it all or find a church you hate and give it to them and various other very negative things. I think just call all the youngsters who are thinking about setting up housekeeping and just let them take it all.  Then call the guy who does sales and close our eyes as it all goes away.

There is still an old reel to reel machine that I would keep.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9125 on: August 05, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
I'm still working on sorting WolFish's stuff. First priority is the stories, I'm sorting them by world and setting them up with some larping props in proper cubbyholes in the set of shelves in the living room, with the most important books in the lawyers' cases under the window. There's artwork too and a few of the best pieces are getting framed and put up.

There is still a room and a half of boxes in the basement, waiting to be opened and unpacked, so that I can then move the workshop stuff out of the family room it's currently occupying and into the room that was supposed to be the workshop. The guest bedroom is the half-full room but at least there's now room in there for a double bed and space to unpack a couple suitcases.

My current sadness: I've found parts to at least four blenders/food processors, but the only one that's complete, I can't get it put together right. There's a metal crank thing on the inside which won't go in tight enough so that when the blender is turned on, it just spins uselessly instead of turning the blades. The cub is starting on solids this month and I would love to make them myself instead of buying the storebought crap, but I don't yet have the equipment.

Cub?
Why do you and I seem to be so out of touch, lately. Not to put too keen of an edge on it all, but I do think of you and your art site from ages ago when I am not typing here.
But a cub and I missed it all? OK!  Nevermind.

Get a new one (processor, not cub) so you do not have to use canned shit. Throw the rest away into a recycle bin.
You have much work to do, so think "big picture" and save thinking about details for your cub time.

Sorry I have not been around as much, but my cubs (or Scabs as I tend to call them, since their Mom has yet to "heal" or ever go back to being a girl instead of a mama bear type person. but nothing more sexy than a hawt mama bear!) are mostly grown now.
Nineteen and seventeen and I can not get either one to learn to drive.
They both have jobs, now. So, they both win one!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:06:22 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9126 on: August 05, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »
This thread, this thread and this thread ought to catch you up on my life for the past year and a bit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:12:07 PM by Pyraxis »
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9127 on: August 05, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
As far as the rest of it:
Kind of sounds like you are one the right track. Keeping on top things important to you will help you to sort through and value the things that meant more to him.

Godspeed!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9128 on: August 05, 2018, 11:12:33 PM »
This thread, this thread and this thread ought to catch you up on my life for the past year and a bit.

Thank you. I will peruse!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9129 on: August 05, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »

The first two pages are making my cry, chickadee!

Tears are salty and sweet for reasons we only feel at the right times.

Congratulations!!!!!

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9130 on: August 05, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »
Thank you!  :)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9131 on: August 06, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »
QV-you better bloody not, or damn me to hell I'll dig you up and kill you again. My foot, your arse. And then dig you up a third time and kick you up the arse until you've been booted up the bum'ole back into the land of the living.

You, along with 'Raxy and 'the Renster, you are some of those here who I think of as....well, like extended family. And of course I care a great deal about the PR, I'd hate to see her suffer that, and would worry for her more than you could imagine from someone that has never even met her in the flesh. But I care for you both as I would my own flesh and blood QV.  Same goes for you 'raxy and for ren too.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9132 on: August 12, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
Just finished setting up a still to strip the dichloromethane from the P2P so the oxime can be prepared using hydroxylamine and ammonium acatate as a base to deprotonate the salt, prepare the ketoxime then a catalytic transfer hydrogenation using ammonium formate and zinc dust to give amphetamine.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9133 on: August 12, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »
Took the still apart after distilling off the DCM

At the stage of preparigng the ammonium formate, gassing formic acid with NH3.

I.e almost done. This is the gas generator

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9134 on: August 12, 2018, 09:44:29 PM »
And it in action, putting out great clouds of white fume, that creeps along the surfaces it moves over like a cloud of some military poison gas.