Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157035 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9090 on: July 10, 2018, 10:19:13 PM »

Saw Yellow Submarine in the theatre. What a blast on the big screen,

Freaking awesome!!

I think it was early eighties when I last saw it in any large screen format. It was a double feature. HELP was next, but not as ...

I have borrowed that epic from the local library and enjoyed it a few times on my own system, but not the same as a theater viewing.

They made new 35mm prints with a remixed Dolby Digital soundtrack some years ago, and I was lucky enough to screen it at "my" cinema. It was awesome.

You like to make me drool, right?
Yellow Submarine and possibly anything Star Wars you can find.

Kind of wish WE could find a way to put my twenty some odd eighteens, sixty something fifteens, sixty odd twelves, forty some odd high horns and drivers, eighty something Super tweets  just behind the perfectly transparent larger than life itself screen and just fucking learn to live again.

I do not have enough Crown to power it all anymore so we might have to go modern for some of the low end. I recently counted --- I have twenty two Crown VFX  (those are crossovers) of various sorts to help bring it all together.  (not including the two I use in my 2CH system inside)

We would have to locate some EQs as well.  I am certain there is no perfect venue.

Unfortunately, my shit would fill up two large trucks and cost a fortune to ship to Sweden. We need to narrow it all down to one boat and then, party time!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:24:47 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9091 on: July 10, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »
Tore apart, sprayed, and adjusted carbs on two trash picked gas trimmers.

They live.

Only about 6 more sitting in pile I need to sort through and assess.
Fucking breathed again after I read it right, No, not crabs but carbs ...

I was ready to pull up my socks and find a way to run,  WHEW!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9093 on: July 11, 2018, 01:22:31 AM »

Freaking awesome!!

I think it was early eighties when I last saw it in any large screen format. It was a double feature. HELP was next, but not as ...

I have borrowed that epic from the local library and enjoyed it a few times on my own system, but not the same as a theater viewing.

They made new 35mm prints with a remixed Dolby Digital soundtrack some years ago, and I was lucky enough to screen it at "my" cinema. It was awesome.

Kind of wish WE could find a way to put my twenty some odd eighteens, sixty something fifteens, sixty odd twelves, forty some odd high horns and drivers, eighty something Super tweets  just behind the perfectly transparent larger than life itself screen and just fucking learn to live again.

I do not have enough Crown to power it all anymore so we might have to go modern for some of the low end. I recently counted --- I have twenty two Crown VFX  (those are crossovers) of various sorts to help bring it all together.  (not including the two I use in my 2CH system inside)

We would have to locate some EQs as well.  I am certain there is no perfect venue.

Unfortunately, my shit would fill up two large trucks and cost a fortune to ship to Sweden. We need to narrow it all down to one boat and then, party time!!

When are you coming? I have cold beer now but it might be gone before you arrive if I don't have times to keep. ;D

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9094 on: July 11, 2018, 01:54:13 AM »

Freaking awesome!!

When are you coming? I have cold beer now but it might be gone before you arrive if I don't have times to keep. ;D

Beer seems a no brainer, but I have not partaken in about six years, maybe more - not sure ...

(I am convinced that if you count days, weeks, months, years since your last libation (please do not get me in trouble with the Jewish, but libation is an elegant word for fucking pounding a ton of drinks or a few dozen), then you might have a problem - - -

I simply just wanted to allow my old self to be stronger and alcohol was an illusory unfound treasure I had been seeking, then I identified it and it was not beautiful- but I am healthy),

...but for this trip all doctors, scientists, philosophers, witches, blacksmiths, lawyers, preachers, cobblers bakers and candlestick makers  can ALL go to hell! ...   and fight their way back or stay there with both sides of my "blessing."
Times are always the hardest, though.

I am anticipating that the boat is an obstacle as well.

It used to be all the trucks required were the main obstacles, but boats? 

Sorry, pal, but We might have to keep this trip fairly low on the "bucket list"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9095 on: July 11, 2018, 02:08:20 AM »
There might be one or two obstacles. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9096 on: July 22, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
Bugger that, bottle of russian pharmaceutical grade undenatured azeotropic ethanol, 95%, liter for 20 quid on ebay. Gold coloured bottle, amber plastic with essentially' ethanol, spirit' on the ingredients list. Not toxic, If one shot from a teacup didn't put you flat on your ass, I'd eat my hat, if I wore one.

Bloody ferocious stuff, tastes better than good vodka, but has to be dilutes with a little cold drinkable fluid because otherwise it BURNS, and I don't mean like spirit, I mean, like somebody just hit you in the stomach with a hammer, right in the solar plexus, enough to drop someone if they aren't cautious and don't dilute it down to about 70% even that, one shot will do you, shit, every time I've thought about it enough to describe its going down a throat, its triggered an  involuntary choking reflex, thinking about it, without its even being present. Stuff would level the worst pisshead on the planet on the cheap and actually being better than the shop bought vodka in this country. Those fucking russkis don't piss about when it comes to their firewater :autism:
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9097 on: July 22, 2018, 09:06:09 PM »
Lestat, do you get hangovers from drinking that pure stuff?

I really only drink cider or gin (and tonic) these days. The cider we get in Oz is mostly sweet apple cider. I f***ing HATE flavoured ciders. Bleggggh.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9098 on: July 22, 2018, 10:41:28 PM »
Hits too fast to drink that much, one shot and you are out for four hours. Minimum. Within minutes.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9099 on: July 22, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
Hits too fast to drink that much, one shot and you are out for four hours. Minimum. Within minutes.

So do you wake up hungover like you've drunk a dozen cheap Central European beers or home-brewed schnapps? Or Indonesian "fake" spirits made out of palm wine and methanol?

Or do you wake up feeling okay, just a little groggy, like you've drunk some really good vodka or gin?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9100 on: July 22, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »
Nah its clean as, feels as good as or better than any of f the shelf booze here in the UK bar beer IMO.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9101 on: July 24, 2018, 03:03:51 PM »
Looked at the job I am doing Monday and made a material list
Finished up work on yesterdays job, delivered some of  tomorrows materials
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9102 on: July 24, 2018, 04:40:30 PM »
Not a lot. On holiday this week.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9103 on: July 24, 2018, 05:11:00 PM »
On the way to bringing the carriage to the mechanic I got some gas.  It stopped twice on the way between the station and the mechanic's.  Then it wouldn't start at the mechanic's.  Not sure if it is bad fuel since it stopped like that about 2 weeks ago.   
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9104 on: July 24, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
Done some reading up and research into catalytic transfer hydrogenations using formate, formamide, formic acid as a hydrogen donor. After an initial false start with a magnesium mediated reaction, and a shitspeaking fuck submitting a crap paper for peer review (sorry...D-orbitals anybody? calling metals with D orbitals, have we got a MAGNESIUM in the crowd somewhere?...NO WE FUCKING DON'T!)

Its the same lot claiming the CTH reduction using zinc and ammonium formate in methanol works for reduction of arylalkyl aldoximes and arylalkyl ketoximes, though, so I'm suspicious. BUT, there is a member of the Swarm who has said 'works like a charm' in respect of a particular arylalkyl ketoxime to amine reduction. Although there is also some suggestion that it may in fact, be reducing partially, to the N-hydroxyamine.

Still if it does, that isn't a terrible thing, as a certain organic chemist in the same overall field, who is essentially one of the fathers of phenethylamine, tryptamine, and phenisopropylamine psychedelic chemistry did look into some similar concepts and found that, and it should apply to this theoretical N-OH-amine if the ketoxime does indeed go through a partial reduction to the N-hydroxyamine rather than all the way to the bare primary amine, the ones he synthesized resembled their primary amine counterparts so closely as to be almost identical, that one would be hard done by to tell one from the other in a double-blind bioassay.

And its close enough chemistry and pharmacology that it ought to act similarly on monoaminergic release and reuptake to the primary amine original target. So N-OH amine, in this case if it does result (and I will be wanting to find out if it does, so I can better comprehend the mechanistic minutiae of the reduction, of course :) ) then its no loss, almost certainly.

Should  make it all the more interesting for  a research project.

And indeed, could perhaps adapt it to other N-hydroxyamines  via ketoximes. I wonder...I just wonder now. What that fine zinc dust has to offer in combination with ammonium formate, and possibly formic acid, or Zn/amm.formate/HCOOH. Still got to work up my ketone though, and check the density of the acid  via a hydrometer so I can determine the concentration of the HCOOH via it's specific gravity.

And I have  a plan to concentrate it too, from the OTC stuff, which could afaik be  between 30% and twice that strength, so there wouldn't be so much water to need removing from the prepared salt. Pure formic acid, unfortunately cannot be treated with concentrated H2SO4 to remove the water and distilled, because it would decompose it to carbon monoxide. Which of course is unwelcome.

BUT, I had a neat idea, went to take a look up it's  melting point, and i found  that of pure HCOOH, it freezes at around 8-9 'C; so I had the idea to try selectively freezing the formic acid out of the H2O, lowering the temperature to below the freezing point of HCOOH but holding it above 0 'C, so that ideally, it will end up as chunks of ice floating about in a pool of liquid, the 'ice' however, being in fact, pure formic acid selectively frozen out of the water, which would then simply be dropped through a sieve into a bowl, and the solids transferred to a container for use in preparing the ammonium formate, after first subjecting the contents of the bowl to a couple more rounds  of careful adjustment of the temperature until no more hunks of solidified formic acid 'ice' are deposited, or the PH is on the probably, slightly acidic side of neutral. That way, not having to neutralize the off the shelf acid product with ammonia, and then having to strip it of anything from 40 to 70% of the remainder, being just water. A pain in the arse, given the high boiling point of water due to the extensive intermolecular hydrogen bonding  in H2O. Which also happens  with HCOOH, formic acid hydrogen bonds extensively to form dimeric pairs of  HCOOH molecules one bonded to another, like H2O does, which accounts for the high BP for such a small pair of molecular species. Which also makes the very first thing I thought to evaluate trying, distillation to separate the formic from the water, totally, completely fucking worthless, because H2O and HCOOH  have a boiling point just 0.8 'C apart, with formic acid  having the slightly higher BP of 100.08 'C and with such a miniscule difference in boiling point, distillation just isn't an option. Even though I haven't got one, they are quite possibly the most expensive kind of distillation column that I know of, something called a spinning band column, which uses a water current or gas jet to rapidly rotate a mobile collar that extends up inside a condenser, on the inner wall at high speed, they are used for the trickiest of distillations, where the differences in boiling points of one compound vs the other, or else there is an azeotrope somewhere, etc., not that it'll break the azeotrope, but I mean between two secondary compounds  vs the distillate sought and whatever one is meant to be separating it from in a tertiary mixture or one of greater complexity.

Very expensive though. Expensive as hell, but very efficient for discriminating between the smallest practical boiling point differences that it is still practical to separate via distillation. I haven't got one though. Although I would most certainly like to own one in my laboratory kit items-set. I'll have to get saving up though. Because  dear fucking baby jesus denying his own divinity to his own bloody father on a field trip to hell, the first one on ebay is listed for 4K, plus $132.30 shipping. Fucking hell.

Thats a fucking pisstake for shipping from the US too. I hate that, when they jack the shipping prices up for expensive items that don't weigh a huge amount, and that aren't actually any bigger physically than the likes of a condenser of conventional types that they often include the shipping for free! taking the fucking piss is what it is.