Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157458 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9030 on: June 29, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
Took The PR bowling, pt some $ in the bank, grocery shopped. 

Had some conversations with The PR about her part (none) in adult responsibilities and decisions.  She felt some situations were caused by her.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9031 on: June 30, 2018, 07:34:55 AM »
Did some cleaning around the house.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9032 on: June 30, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
I gave Martha, our cat, her first bath  She's 15.  She really didn't need one, but I thought it would take a lot of dead fur off of her and a lot of dirt from her nightly adventures.

I put less than 1 inch of water and 1 teaspoon of baby bubble bath in the tub.  I just gently washed her off with my hand. 

TLDR:  I washed a cat and we both survived.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9033 on: July 01, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
Installed insulation it was 98F(36.7C) with 60% humidity when I finished at noon :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9034 on: July 02, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
Installed insulation it was 98F(36.7C) with 60% humidity when I finished at noon :zombiefuck:

Now you need some
 :glug:
:melon:
and a :rollercoaster:(cool breeze).

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9035 on: July 04, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
 Reading a book on carbonate esters, in particular interested in synthesis of certain specific ones, which can be done in a couple of highly specific cases, without using phosgene to prepare them, something I absolutely WILL NOT use under any circumstances because it is a truly lethally potent, deadly toxic gas, with little warning properties and which once exposed to it, if one is exposed to even a very small quantity, there is no healing to be done, no treatment, no cure. You die. About 2 parts per million in air is enough to absorb a lethal dose almost immediately to straight away within a breath or two at most.

But a handful, just two or three of these useful alkylating agents of low toxicity and useful solvents can be prepared using alkylene epoxides, such as ethylene and propylene oxide, and from these, other esters can be made using transesterification techniques which allows the ones that are usually made with phosgene  to be made from the ones which can use epoxide ring-opening techniques instead.

Because some of these carbonate esters, such as dimethyl carbonate, for example are alkylating agents, but which unlike 'traditional' commoner alkylating agents are both greatly less in toxicity than things like dimethyl sulfate, diethyl sulfate, even methyl iodide, and certainly less dangerous than the likes of methyl fluorosulfonate 'magic methyl', an EXTREMELY powerful and highly toxic superelectrophilic methylating agent, banned in most research labs due to toxicity, and diazomethane, another very effective methylating agent, being more or less a methyl carbocation precursor trapped as a diazo compound, which is highly unstable (indeed, extremely explosive and very sensitive, needing special diazomethane glassware kits for generation and use of it, a yellow, very poisonous gas which can explode from as little as contact of the gas with a sharp edge (think a pipette-tip, if it hasn't been specially flame-polished before use, or the ground glass joints of glassware, even a hairline crack in a small region of the glassware anywhere, can cause it to detonate, and it is as toxic, easily, as phosgene, and also a carcinogen). It decomposes on use, the diazonium group breaking down and leaving as the extremely stable and inert elemental, gaseous N2 (nitrogen gas) and delivering a free methyl carbocation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazomethane

Diazomethane, aka diazirine needs using in a fume hood, by a chemist in full protective personal equipment and who is aware and knows what they are doing handling it, special glassware setup and the fume hood behind a blast-shield. I wouldn't dream of using it. I don't have any confidence in my ability to survive the experience.

But dimethyl carbonate isn't just vastly less toxic than almost all methylating or other alkylating agents, its even green and environmentally friendly. Just needs phosgene to make it. But ethylene carbonate, or propylene carbonate don't need (Cl2)C)=O and could AFAIK be transesterified with methanol to make it.

Useful solvent too, same for propylene/ethylene carbonates. Plenty of things I could do with those, and other hobby chemists would be as delighted to be able to obtain it as I would. Which means if I do, the hobbyist community can be made aware of the fact and then come to ol' uncle Lestat for their carbonate ester needs and desires. Do have other things to do of course, but if I can get that synthesis from ethylene and propylene oxides and transesterification with MeOH to work, then I think it would be quite popular. On ebay too, I KNOW it would get snapped up on ebay by people with minds who function on the same wavelengths I do.

Hell, if I found any on ebay I'd grab it.

So I've been studying that book on the carbonate esters; found it online.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9036 on: July 04, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
Participated in a social event.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9037 on: July 04, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »
B'fast with g'friend
Grocery shopping

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9038 on: July 04, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
Worked. It's a holiday, so it was nice to catch up on my tasks a bit without anyone simultaneously adding more.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #9039 on: July 04, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »
Did my civic duty and blew up a bunch of stuff today. However, I did it in honor of the native indigenous peoples who were wiped out by genocide to allow for the land to be appropriated to create this country and the African slaves whose backs were broken to build this country.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9040 on: July 05, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »
Did my usual "hunting and gathering" of groceries, including the ingredients for Carla to make a "20 minute" Tiramisu for one of her pharmacy technician's birthday.  And my typical hot summer day treat, a pint of Ben and Jerry's Vanilla ice cream...after it sits out and softens for 5-10 minutes or so.  For the best flavor!   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9041 on: July 05, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »
Worked. Revised a paper for a conference.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9042 on: July 05, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »
Sorted out a bit of confusion over being sent a debit card on a closed account.

Grocery shopped.

Fed The PR.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9043 on: July 05, 2018, 02:58:24 PM »
Watching mysteries at the museum and hearing very distant thunder.     Love it!    8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9044 on: July 06, 2018, 08:21:38 AM »
Worked all day. Now on a train on my way back home.

- Albert Einstein