Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157544 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #8205 on: April 25, 2017, 06:05:51 PM »
  Kicked ass at work, shopped for supplies, now I am settled at home for my two days off.  :nicegear:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8206 on: April 26, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »
Why the wink your highness?

Forgot-also ordered a borosilicate glass powder dropping funnel (a powder funnel is a small [usually, although one supposes they can come in whatever somebody wants them to come in, size-wise within reason] wide-flared funnel with a short stem that has a wide bore. They are, as they sound like, for addition of powders to glassware, the wide bore size of the stem makes for easy addition of whatever solids  are to be added to the vessel they are mated to at the time so it falls in easily without jamming up

Already I have one soxhlet but didn't have a condenser for it. A soxhlet extractor is for continuous cyclic extraction of something contained in a soxhlet thimble, a porous cup which goes down into the central bore, which consists of a wide column with several pipes, an inlet for the solvent, which is placed in a collection/recirculation flask, just a standard flask with a ground glass joint with which to mate the flask to the soxhlet, a normal round bottom flask, and which connects to the upper, outlet pipe of the soxhlet extractor but which has a seal between the bottom of the part that holds the thimble and the joint to connect it to the solvent reservoir flask, which serves both that role and the receiver flask for the things to be extracted. Solvent is heated in the flask, and it rises up the bottom tube, and percolates through the material (particularly they are of great utility in extracting things from natural sources such as plants, fungi etc. Or they can also be used for slow, steady, continuous addition of a reagent into the solvent in the bottom flask in which it is soluble, the reagent being placed within the thimble and leached out of it gradually by the condensing vapors.

When the level of solvent rises sufficiently for a single cycle of extraction, it then gets to the level of the upper tube, which connects back under the seal, and allows it to siphon  back down into the collection flask. Lather, rinse, repeat, a powerful and efficient condenser, mounted vertically in the top (female) joint of the soxhlet serves to continually recondense the vapors of solvent and trickle them back down the bore into the extractor again, and again, and again; which allows a much MUCH smaller quantity of solvent to perform much more efficiently, rather than soaking for instance, ground up plant material, fungi or whatever else is to be extracted/leached into a reaction by continually cycling the same portion through the stuff being extracted from instead of a regular extraction using portions of solvent, stewing the substrate being extracted in separate multiple portions of solvent and either evaporating it off, distilling and reclaiming it (preferable, both environmentally and of course, who on earth would want to pay for liters of solvents when 100s of ml can be used and continually recirculated until saturated, dumped into the collection flask, then freed of the solute being collected as that same solvent is sent back up the pipes again for its next cycles, until you've eluted all your desired compounds from the material its contained within and the material in the thimble is exhausted and leached dry of whatever thing it happens to be that the person doing the extraction desires to collect or remove or react etc.

A very efficient piece of equipment, designed from the outset with economy and effectiveness in mind, operating on a simple but quite ingenious principle.                                                     

This is the soxhlet I already have, although I don't have a condenser of sufficient size for the top joint, which is in the large 40-38 size and taper, but there is a matching allihn condenser coming with the new soxhlet (I bought it largely for the condenser actually, since I already have a soxhlet extractor, but since they came as a pair for a price that would have been fair for the condenser alone, I figured I might as well take advantage and get a second soxhlet thrown in along with it :santa:

And my current allihn-type reflux condenser (300mm length, 24/40 joint size/taper, although this fits most of my glassware it'll not fit the soxhlet, most of my lab glass is in 24/40 or 24/32 aside from my microscale kit (such as 5ml, 10ml flasks and integrated flask/micro-sized vigreaux column with a sidearm on the flask, for a thermometer, although I need to find a suitable adapter for the sidearm and get an additional microscale cylindrical liebig-style integrated condenser portion of it repaired after the pigs damaged it. Which I am furious about, because I got that piece of kit at a knockdown price (a fiver) and new it would be an expensive piece, or a custom made and out of my price range to easily replace. So I'm going to have to make them pay for the damages (not that I have the slightest issue with doing THAT, as well as things like microscale test tubes and pipettes.)  won't fit, but is identical in type, only with a much larger male joint to fit to the soxhlets, as a dedicated piece more or less, heres a pic of that too:

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8207 on: April 26, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »
Had to give the old man the rent money (booo!) plus half of what I owed him as I borrowed a bit of money for food and supplies a couple of weeks ago, plus for some aluminium foil, I needed a roll of since I'd need the entire roll right then and there on the spot, and it couldn't be used for food afterwards, partially because it would be made toxic owing to its amalgamation with mercury salts, and partially because it would in the process of what I needed it to do, be consumed and disintegrated into the consistency of sludge. paid him just over half that, owe him about £7 now which isn't too onerous.

Woke up very late (around 5-5:30pm), probably because I didn't sleep last night, I was sleepless to begin with, just one of those nights where I'm not at all tired or sleepy so I decided to go occupy myself instead with some chemical tinkering instead for a while, then eventually popped a couple of strong prescription sleeping pills and read for a while, hoping to get to sleep, but no joy there. Ended up having to take 2-3x5mg nitrazepam and 3 chlormethiazole capsules, maybe 4, can't quite remember, plus a muscle relaxer and something that blocks noradrenaline release, and a few instant release oxycodone capsules. All together, that DID manage to let me sleep, although it did pretty much ensure that once I GOT to sleep I wasn't going to wake up again for quite some time.  Fell asleep very early in the morning eventually.

When I woke-finished up crystallizing a large (2-2.5l erlenmeyer flasks worth of saturated cupric chloride solution, a dark shade of green that if ever there was call for the term 'sickly, billious acidic green' as a shade of paint, speciallly custom-ordered by somebody for painting skull and crossbones symbols on tanks of toxic waste, that really would be perfect. Smells as bad as it is virulent-looking, a sour, acidic, acrid metallic astringency that sets your teeth on edge and makes them feel like you have a mouth full of acid-soaked, dried out cement dust, mixed with powdered dessicated vomit. And giving off enough hydrogen chloride gas fumes to cause a plume of white smoke if a test tube of ammonia solution be held within about a  8 inches away of it where the ammonia vapors mix with the acid fumes.

Drying the chloride by boiling most of it off wasn't a very nice task, and in fact I didn't even do it in the lab, I did have to move it there temporarily, and after a brief time in the presence, theres the beginnings of a tinge of rusting thats taken hold on iron crucibles, which  I will deal with tonight to arrest before it can progress and eat them away to nothing.

The font of putrescence in question:

Beginning the purification:

Starting to crystallize out of a supersaturated solution:

And its crystallizing properly, with just a little water to be driven off, then the CuCl2 itself to be chemically dehydrated to the anhydrous salt by heating it in a stream of anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas (refluxing in thionyl chloride can be used alternatively, but this is an expensive reagent, and one that if you must make it, is very difficult to make, best used for ensuring absolutely anhydrous salt as and when needed to remove the last traces of water, distilling off the residual SOCl2 after using excess, neat thionyl chloride. But that does get it totally anhydrous, even if it does produce a bunch of pretty nasty gases in the process that need trapping.

One drop of the concentrate of this stuff went straight through a wad of folded up aluminium foil as though it were the blood from those creatures in the movie 'alien', when one is wounded and the acid for blood they have ends up burning through several decks of the spacecraft and keeping on going.

Crystals at last, reduced down from 2.5 liters of saturated cupric chloride 'brine':

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:23:31 PM by Lestat »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8208 on: April 26, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »
Royalty doesn't wink.  We do however give a thumbs up on occasion.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8209 on: April 26, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
I did nothing as cool as Lestat did. :-[

Soaked a carb in Coke and put a rebuild kit in it...another mower lives again.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8210 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
Soaked a carb in Coke

This makes me think of dipping a cookie in a soda.  :tard: :coke:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8211 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »
  Today I slept really late for a change, internetted on my computer, internetted on my phone ...
  and absolutely pined for some beautiful Mid-Century Modern houses.  I so love the floor-to-ceiling
  glass in some of them, all that natural light and the feeling of the outdoors being right in the room.
  Which is funny, because in my real-life apartment, I keep the all blinds closed round the clock.  :tinfoil:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8212 on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »
The PR and I have a lunch birthday meal tomorrow.  I went to the laundromat and washed clothes,

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8213 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:38 AM »
  Today I slept really late for a change, internetted on my computer, internetted on my phone ...
  and absolutely pined for some beautiful Mid-Century Modern houses.  I so love the floor-to-ceiling
  glass in some of them, all that natural light and the feeling of the outdoors being right in the room.
  Which is funny, because in my real-life apartment, I keep the all blinds closed round the clock.  :tinfoil:

I love those...they make many of them from shipping containers now.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8214 on: April 27, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »

I love those...they make many of them from shipping containers now.

Some others are all brick and metal and almost windowless; they look like municipal buildings.
   I love the anonymity of those.  I would feel safe living in one of those, hidden in plain sight.  8)

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8215 on: April 27, 2017, 06:35:49 AM »
I'd not want to live in a horror like that. Way too easy for nosy people to watch the property and activities of those within.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8216 on: April 27, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
Who's b/day is it QV? happy birthday to whichever of you it is :)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8217 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39:47 AM »
I'd not want to live in a horror like that. Way too easy for nosy people to watch the property and activities of those within.

Some people have massive drapes to cover the windows when they like.
  Here is a different type of Mid-Century Modern home, one that I would feel safer living in.  8)

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8218 on: April 27, 2017, 06:45:58 AM »
  Another one with that anonymous/functional/municipal-building look.  :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8219 on: April 27, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
Who's b/day is it QV? happy birthday to whichever of you it is :)

Oops.  It's the birthday of my BFF's daughter.  She (daughter) has Tuberous Sclerosis Complex.  Our daughters went to school together and now bowl together.