Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157458 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #7515 on: August 27, 2016, 03:00:17 AM »
Not a lot yet. Planning to spend an hour or two working, then sharing a pint with a friend.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7516 on: August 27, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »
Chances are she'd own me too ren. Its been...quite a long time, not since I was a bit younger than 16. 30 now. Conclusion-she'd eat me alive. And save my eyes to mount on cocktail sticks in some kind of fancy ass drink.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7517 on: August 27, 2016, 10:20:11 AM »
After chipping the rust off that is. Not that there is probably much of a talent  underneath.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7518 on: August 27, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »
homework
grading
training
more homework

a little more grading and a lot more homework is left.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7519 on: August 27, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »
Went to a couple tag sales then loaded up the van for tomorrow
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7520 on: August 27, 2016, 05:01:31 PM »
The PR will let you use bumpers.  She only bumps about 2 or 3 times in a row.  Her proudest day was when she bowled a hambone, 4 strikes in a row.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7521 on: August 28, 2016, 12:39:57 AM »
^ That is bloody awesome.

So far today, homework.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7522 on: August 28, 2016, 03:19:03 AM »
I've been posting here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7523 on: August 28, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
Sold up at the flea market
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7524 on: August 28, 2016, 05:26:20 PM »
Does sold up mean like sold out?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7525 on: August 28, 2016, 10:49:32 PM »
Yes I believe so.

As for me-just scraped my methylthiazole-2-yl-ethan-2-ol onto a plate off its coffee filter, and put both spent filter and scraped precipitate onto a dinnerplate, and on top of the grill metalwork above the cooker, with the flame on the lowest it can go to dry it out.  I'd have vac filtered, only the filth stole my vacuum bleed inlets.

No risk from the flame, as its been precipitated from H2O solution of bisulfite. Nonflammable as iit gets. Some stink of SO2 of course but nothiinng my gas mask wont take care of, and thats just because the smell is dislikeable. Obtained product as a paste of pure white ultra-fine floc. This is the intended product, I am certain of it. Taking great care it does not burn. But aside from washing out bisulfite needing doing by recrystallization from boiling methanol once done, nothing needs doing to it bar what I wish to do in the final, second half of the rn. Looks clean though. Hope so. Will have to test for crospovidone with base, but the crospovidone, unlike povidone is water soluble. So easy to get out by virtue of the fact that the thiazole is non soluble in H2O.

THEN the gas mask comes out for real. Not for irritation. Thionyl chloride is nasty shit. But I love the reagents capabilities. And most of all, its speed and versatility. Doing a reaction with it, it happens FAST. Minutes is quite doable. Much more pleasurable than waiting say 24-48h for something to finish and doing nothing. And it is not only exceptionally rapid, it is also clean, all rxn products usually gaseous, decomp of SOCl2 produces HCl and SO2. Both gases that can be evaporated or boiled out of solution, or boiled under vacuum to strip it all off. It does however, fume like a bitch and give off one hell of a stink and miasma of corrosive vapor.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:53:21 PM by Lestat »

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7526 on: August 29, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
Waded through the mud at a local u-pull-it looking for a back door latch for the "tomato" (SO's, 2001 Chevy Tracker), they only had about 4 and the latches were gone or worse than the broken one already in it. (Thank fucking heavens for duct tape and bungee cords, because that's what's holding the door closed.)

Figured while I was there I would grab a missing dash piece for the S10 while I was standing in a field of them. :zoinks:

A little square knockout piece about 4" x 4"....I have been looking at the hole in the dash forever now and everytime I see it, my OCD kicks in.

It was missing, in EVERY single one. That one piece, everything else was there...but that one stupid, little piece. Checked all of them..all fucking 18 of them, and 15 Blazer clones also.

Nope, nadda, fuck me.

So we trudge back out to the parking lot, hot, sweaty, and muddy (I think I even swallowed a gnat)...and what is parked next to us...someone's little S10, same year, same model, same color dash, I look in the window and....THE FUCKING TRIM PIECE IS THERE...staring at me.  :roar: 

I almost busted the window and took the fucking trim piece in a fit of insanity.

I am done with today.
Done.
Fuck you Monday...you suck.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7527 on: August 29, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
  I've done a lot of thinking, as I usually do.  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7528 on: August 29, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
*hugs IQ*

*squeezes CBC too, /definitely/ not forgetting that:) oh hell no am I*

My day has been spent at first in the obtaining of my prescription meds, some of them partially forgotten, like my anticonvulsant. The one of four I need most. The rest, morphine 30s, oxy 10s and morphine 10s being the others, although these I have. I was given 7 short of my fucking antiseizure med and its a bank holiday so I cannot go bitch the surgery out. It SHOULD have been on my repeats. But not. They have been aware of the change for a little short of a month they have been aware it is meant to be on repeat without my having to TELL them to do it. It has BEEN repeating, so its not some receptionist's purview to fuck with that. I of course can cope until tomorrow and even if they forgot it entirely, I could make it quite quickly, I have the intermediate actually, in a vial in the lab.

Quicker to make the antiseizure med from it by a long shot  than to actually do the prep work for its immediate precursor. That took most of all day yesterday and most of the night, from start to finish of the project for the intermediate but could could certainly do the chlorination step in minutes, because thionyl chloride is SUCH a fast reagent to perform many of the duties requested of it, it fumes, it stinks and gives off some pretty vile, stinky, acidic-type corrosive gases of a moderately toxic nature (sulfur dioxide, irritant and tends to rust metals fairly quickly too, annoying when spilling for ex. bisulfite solution on a sink countertop haha, my old man looked at the brown then dried and looking like dust patch and was enquiring as to whether or not it was anything he need to worry about and any toxicity. But no it was just rusting of the metal in the sink from a splash of saturated bisulfite solution, which too gives off sulfur dioxide somewhat, and is acidic, haha that saturated soln....sink bowl did NOT like that!:P

The other byproduct of the SOCl2 (thionyl chloride) is of course, hydrochloric acid gas fumes. But the byproducts being HCl(g) and SO2, both are gaseous, which gives SOCl2 the wonderful property of  allowing one to easily strip every trace of it from the post reaction workup by merely boiling it off to expel the gases, or if its sensitive, to give it a light vacuum which will lower the solubility and boil things off at far lower temperature.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7529 on: August 29, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Took The PR to ARC, came home, finished sleeping, lunch, donated blood, picked The PR up,  took her to the clinic for some pain that is probably nothing, but she's had for a week or so, grocery shop, make dinner.

Later tonight:  fix The PR's lunch, wash her hair, feed the cat(s), bathe, read an overdue library book I just found, bed.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: