Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157516 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #6990 on: March 14, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
I put mine in a large pot with good potting soil from the greenhouse that sells the chive.  They do need room for their roots to spread out.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6991 on: March 14, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »

Actually, it was Saturday, but it was a BIG thing for me.

My cousin (still a working musician) called me a couple of weeks ago and asked if I still had that old mandola that my dad used to own, because she wanted to buy it. I told her I was not considering selling off my father's instruments. She told me that they want that kind of sound on their new record, besides, her dad (my uncle) is getting too old to play his (tiny) regular mandolin he has owned for about sixty years.
After much deliberation, I decided to sell it to her with a few restrictions.

First, the "evaluation and historical documentation" that my father had done in the '80s stays with the instrument.
Second, if she ever decides to sell it, I HAVE FIRST option to buy it back and if I was dead, then the instrument had to be sold within our family, not to some stranger.
Third, if she takes it on tour with them, make sure it is well insured against damage AND theft.
She agreed and kind of assumed all that.

So I drove to Kentucky, meeting her about half way from where she lives in Tennessee with my dad's very cool and extremely RARE Gibson mandola (only about three hundred of these were ever made, no telling how many still have the original case, etc), which she has never seen before. She had heard her father talk about how huge it was. 

When I opened the case, her jaw literally dropped and her eyes bugged out. It took her a moment to speak legibly. She said she could not buy that. She could NOT afford that kind of instrument. She said from her dad's description, I probably had some old ugly pillbug shaped thing made in Mexico.
She told me she had only heard of these things but had never seen one, and that it had to be worth ten or fifteen thousand dollars. I told her that my mom had it appraised about a year after my dad died in '98 and it was only worth eight thousand dollars then, but not to worry, I was going to make her a good deal on it.

It is a Gibson (well known for high quality guitars AND mandolins) made in 1926 with a carved scroll on the upper body and the head with beautiful mother of pearl inlays for fret markers and the "Gibson" name. The case is bent birch with felt padding and velvet lining in a kind of hot pink with a calfskin outer covering and brass hardware.
Anyway, after she promised to keep "my terms" and actually get some use out of it, which my dad would have loved,  I sold it to her for five hundred dollars.
I also made her promise to send me a pic of her dad playing it.

It was a really long trip back home. It had been a tough decision to make, but I feel that I did the "right" thing with it and I think she will honor and respect the treasure that an instrument like that truly is.

I still have a tear that wants some air, though.
 :'(
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6992 on: March 14, 2016, 09:38:14 PM »
WolFish bought me some chives and put the pot by the kitchen table, where it grew a little and then started wilting and dying. We were keeping it watered. Do they need a lot of sunlight?

They do need a lot of sunlight and not nearly as much water as most folk think.
I do not grow chives inside, though, since they are fine perennials here. I usually allow them to make seed late in the year and plant them in clumps here and there, always in full sun.

I also dry them, cut them into small pieces and freeze them. Works great!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:39:45 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6993 on: March 15, 2016, 01:35:21 AM »

My cousin (still a working musician) called me a couple of weeks ago and asked if I still had that old mandola that my dad used to own, because she wanted to buy it. I told her I was not considering selling off my father's instruments. She told me that they want that kind of sound on their new record, besides, her dad (my uncle) is getting too old to play his (tiny) regular mandolin he has owned for about sixty years.

First, the "evaluation and historical documentation" that my father had done in the '80s stays with the instrument.
Second, if she ever decides to sell it, I HAVE FIRST option to buy it back and if I was dead, then the instrument had to be sold within our family, not to some stranger.
Third, if she takes it on tour with them, make sure it is well insured against damage AND theft.

So I drove to Kentucky, meeting her about half way from where she lives in Tennessee with my dad's very cool and extremely RARE Gibson mandola (only about three hundred of these were ever made, no telling how many still have the original case, etc), which she has never seen before. She had heard her father talk about how huge it was. 

When I opened the case, her jaw literally dropped and her eyes bugged out. It took her a moment to speak legibly. She said she could not buy that. She could NOT afford that kind of instrument. She said from her dad's description, I probably had some old ugly pillbug shaped thing made in Mexico.
She told me she had only heard of these things but had never seen one, and that it had to be worth ten or fifteen thousand dollars. I told her that my mom had it appraised about a year after my dad died in '98 and it was only worth eight thousand dollars then, but not to worry, I was going to make her a good deal on it.

It is a Gibson (well known for high quality guitars AND mandolins) made in 1926 with a carved scroll on the upper body and the head with beautiful mother of pearl inlays for fret markers and the "Gibson" name. The case is bent birch with felt padding and velvet lining in a kind of hot pink with a calfskin outer covering and brass hardware.
Anyway, after she promised to keep "my terms" and actually get some use out of it, which my dad would have loved,  I sold it to her for five hundred dollars.

It was a really long trip back home. It had been a tough decision to make, but I feel that I did the "right" thing with it and I think she will honor and respect the treasure that an instrument like that truly is.

I'm not sure I could have done what you did. I understand why, but this sort of thing is never logical.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6994 on: March 15, 2016, 03:03:36 AM »

Awesome. Now it will have a place where it can shine.

Worth airing a tear.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6995 on: March 16, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
Sweated like a pig at the gym. Had a fair share of laughs there too. Awesome ab training, laughing.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6996 on: March 16, 2016, 06:28:31 AM »
Had surgery. Now resting.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6997 on: March 16, 2016, 08:02:02 AM »
Sweated like a pig at the gym. Had a fair share of laughs there too. Awesome ab training, laughing.

Fixed that for you!  Cows sweat too!  :hyke:  Build up that core strength!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6998 on: March 16, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
  Moped and pouted at the quick decline in my post-per-day average.  I think the trouble is that
    I'm constantly logged on here on my phone, which dilutes my posts into the idle time.  :'(

People forget.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6999 on: March 16, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
got more mousetraps
ate breakfast (i think)
played civilization
folded laundry
cleaned house
got garden stuff
made a new budget to account for $55 loss to a parking ticket
watched gumball
ate salad for comfort
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7000 on: March 16, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »
Washed the walls in the upstairs hallway along with the doors and trim
Yet more work on repairing the walls in my sons bedroom due to OCD kicking in I fucking hate plaster work
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7001 on: March 16, 2016, 01:33:39 PM »
Made travel reservations for flight and rental car! 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7002 on: March 16, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »

Are you a comfortable flier?  I hope so.   :plane:

People forget.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7003 on: March 16, 2016, 03:48:46 PM »

Are you a comfortable flier?  I hope so.   :plane:

Not really, I just consign my soul to the Gods and carry a talisman to protect us both!   

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7004 on: March 17, 2016, 12:57:44 AM »
got more mousetraps
ate breakfast (i think)
played civilization
folded laundry
cleaned house
got garden stuff
made a new budget to account for $55 loss to a parking ticket
watched gumball
ate salad for comfort

You also reached a pretty postcount. 2222.