Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157475 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #6300 on: September 24, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
An appt, errands, cleaned, taught, picked  up, dropped off, cooked, cleaned some more.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6301 on: September 25, 2015, 12:01:01 AM »
Logged on here. Posted. Had coffee.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6302 on: September 29, 2015, 05:03:37 AM »
Not much. But, I did finish my tartan. The fabric is a bit stiff, the edges could be a bit neater, especially in the beginning. I did start a bit too dense. But, it is nice. And for a first attempt, I really do like it a lot. So does the oldest. She likes stiff fabrics, and she likes tartans. So, got a new scarf today.

I'm not allowed to warp the loom again this week. It is way too addictive to work on it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6303 on: September 29, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
What does warping a loom mean?

It's only 10:30am here but so far I have gone grocery shopping, fed everyone in the house that needs to be fed, dogs included and did some cleaning and some work.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6304 on: September 29, 2015, 09:56:17 AM »
What does warping a loom mean?

Did it in a different way, but this is the simplest way to explain what it means.

Bought a loom the other day, second hand, in good shape, and of a brand that is known for quality, but is out of production.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6305 on: September 29, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
Okay I really need to learn how to work with a loom and fibres because I would find that so relaxing.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6306 on: September 29, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
Okay I really need to learn how to work with a loom and fibres because I would find that so relaxing.

Time to have a look around in thriftshops and secondhand online stuff.

It's addictive, I fear. For me it is not as relaxing as spinning is though. But it is very satisfying. Knitting, at least till now, is more relaxing than weaving, imo. But not nearly as fast in the results. And who knows how it will be when I have weaved more than just this one little practising piece.
The focus needed to warp is something pleasing too. And, thank goodness, it does not all have to be done in one evening.
In my head I am already pondering on the next pattern I want to weave.  :laugh:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6307 on: September 29, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »

Time to have a look around in thriftshops and secondhand online stuff.

It's addictive, I fear. For me it is not as relaxing as spinning is though. But it is very satisfying. Knitting, at least till now, is more relaxing than weaving, imo. But not nearly as fast in the results. And who knows how it will be when I have weaved more than just this one little practising piece.
The focus needed to warp is something pleasing too. And, thank goodness, it does not all have to be done in one evening.
In my head I am already pondering on the next pattern I want to weave.  :laugh:
Yes, I can't look just yet but in about a years time I hope to be in a place where i have time to do that. It's something good I could get lost in for a bit.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6308 on: September 29, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
Worked got home early and went to bed
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #6309 on: September 29, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »
Autumn cleaning continues!    :P
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6310 on: September 30, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
Went an looked at an attic

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6311 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
So far it's been teaching, errands and work. But it's only lunchtime. Still lots left to be done.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6312 on: September 30, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »
Cut more wood discs from logs with the chainsaw for table center pieces

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6313 on: September 30, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »

My neighbor and I have been collecting and splitting wood for the coming months. We got hold of a really nice (huge) maple tree last week. We are not very far along with making the HUGE pieces "house broke" yet, but we are getting there.

Your table center piece idea made think of a gift I made for my wife a few years ago and I plan another series out of this massive tree.

About two years ago, we were splitting wood and I saw a piece that just screamed to be turned into a cooking spoon, the grain, the way it split, etc. It turned out to take me about ten times longer than I had imagined that it would, but I set that piece aside and gave it a go. I also gave up four or five times but I eventually came back to the project each time and eventually, from some pipe dreamy eyed idea in the heat of summer, I managed to give her a Christmas gift of a "perfect," large, long handled spoon for the stove. Yep, about six months to make one spoon.

Anyway, this latest batch is maple, instead of oak like the last one, and around many of the knots, I find the kind of grain structure that might readily be turned into another wooden spoon. I learned a lot last time and I have set aside two pieces this time. Not sure if I have the time for a fun project, but I just might try again.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6314 on: September 30, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »

My neighbor and I have been collecting and splitting wood for the coming months. We got hold of a really nice (huge) maple tree last week. We are not very far along with making the HUGE pieces "house broke" yet, but we are getting there.

Your table center piece idea made think of a gift I made for my wife a few years ago and I plan another series out of this massive tree.

About two years ago, we were splitting wood and I saw a piece that just screamed to be turned into a cooking spoon, the grain, the way it split, etc. It turned out to take me about ten times longer than I had imagined that it would, but I set that piece aside and gave it a go. I also gave up four or five times but I eventually came back to the project each time and eventually, from some pipe dreamy eyed idea in the heat of summer, I managed to give her a Christmas gift of a "perfect," large, long handled spoon for the stove. Yep, about six months to make one spoon.

Anyway, this latest batch is maple, instead of oak like the last one, and around many of the knots, I find the kind of grain structure that might readily be turned into another wooden spoon. I learned a lot last time and I have set aside two pieces this time. Not sure if I have the time for a fun project, but I just might try again.

These are nothing fancy and are going to be used like giant coasters for the rest of the center piece on tables at a wedding but they have given me a lot of ideas on other things that could be made with them

George Bernard Shaw