Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157654 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #5460 on: November 02, 2014, 01:16:12 AM »
Back on topic and again, as always, I am generally late to report.

Last night was Halloween (unfortunately, the weather was horrific and we did get many t or t'ers) and I had been working in my spare time to create a disc of combined "Scary" sound effects that I had gleaned from several corny discs from the library.

I slammed a few together, using Audacity to combine thunder, rain, howling, screaming, bumping and creaking effects effects all into one track, etc. I made a fairly awesome hour long disc, using or combining the  best parts of five other creepy sound effect discs.

I set out one of my bass speakers, dual fifteen JBL, wired in stereo, but all in one enclosure. I figured that no one would care that it was not actually presented in true stereo after they had approached all those enhanced low frequency sound effects emanating from bass speakers, instead any of those squeaky little  speakers that most people put outside.

Unfortunately, the weather sucked (we had snow, ffs!) and we only had about twenty "trick or treaters"
Planning to make this a new family tradition since both kidletts (too old to go trick or treating) were SO into this idea.

You might be amazed how awesome these screamy, thundery, creepy things sound coming from bass speakers! NO shit!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:17:53 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5461 on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:06 AM »
Had coffee and posted here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5462 on: November 02, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »

Last night was Halloween (unfortunately, the weather was horrific and we did get many t or t'ers) and I had been working in my spare time to create a disc of combined "Scary" sound effects that I had gleaned from several corny discs from the library.

I slammed a few together, using Audacity to combine thunder, rain, howling, screaming, bumping and creaking effects effects all into one track, etc. I made a fairly awesome hour long disc, using or combining the  best parts of five other creepy sound effect discs.

I set out one of my bass speakers, dual fifteen JBL, wired in stereo, but all in one enclosure. I figured that no one would care that it was not actually presented in true stereo after they had approached all those enhanced low frequency sound effects emanating from bass speakers, instead any of those squeaky little  speakers that most people put outside.

Unfortunately, the weather sucked (we had snow, ffs!) and we only had about twenty "trick or treaters"
Planning to make this a new family tradition since both kidletts (too old to go trick or treating) were SO into this idea.

You might be amazed how awesome these screamy, thundery, creepy things sound coming from bass speakers! NO shit!

My dad built 3 hi-fi sets in the early 1960's.  On New Year's Eve he would put the speaker to our set outside and play Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture at full blast.  He always timed it so the cannons shot off at midnight.  (It was a record made with real cannons overlayed with the hall recording.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5463 on: November 02, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
  Today I got my   :laundry:   done by noon.  Good for me.  :angel:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5464 on: November 02, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
Went out to breakfast
Fixed some work tools
Got a new light for the storage part of the basement and installed it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5465 on: November 02, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
Went to a martial arts workshop, made tacos, watched some Futurama, read things on the internet.

Kind of interested to know what a a "Martial Arts Workshop" might be.

Offer details?

Oh, and tacos sound really good to me right now! Any more details?

:thumbup:

It was an Arnis Cruzada hosted by the local arnis group that I've been with for the past year and a half. Three groups from cities in the area got together at a community center for the day and some of the masters and more advanced students taught sessions. This time around there was more fun stuff than srs bzness. It was halloween themed, so each of the groups picked a monster from Filipino mythology and adapted some techniques from the art that might be particularly useful against it.

Our group did the tikbalang, which is a giant creature that has the head of a horse, the torso of a man and the legs of a horse. It has a golden mane and the story goes that if you can pluck three golden hairs, you can control it. It would come charging head-on at you, so the techniques involved doing a side step while swinging the stick/blade at the nearest knee, coming up into an overhead strike on the back of the neck as you flanked it.

Another was the matruculan, which is an invisible ghoul that attacks a pregnant woman and eats her fetus. A couple of guys taught the knife techniques which the man of the house is supposed to do while standing over her belly, as someone else chants the prayers. One guy did the prayer in tagalog while a woman put a towel up her shirt and lay down, and it was pretty creepy to hear and see.

The third one was the aswang, which appears as a beautiful woman during the day, but during the night goes to the banana groves and separates along the waist, so the legs are left standing there while the top half morphs into an old winged hag and flies off to hunt. Supposedly they can be hurt by a manta ray tail the same way a werewolf can be hurt by a silver bullet, so the techniques were about how to choke someone and take them down using a rolled-up towel or rope. Also if you can find the legs, you can salt the top of them and then the top half won't be able to connect to them again and it'll die at dawn.

The tacos were very ordinary tacos. :P Hard taco shells from the grocery, a salsa which WolFish had taken from a jar and strained the liquid out of so that it wouldn't be so watery, ground beef with seasoning, fresh avocado (my favorite part) and lettuce.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5466 on: November 02, 2014, 11:42:44 PM »
I have a craving for tacos now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5467 on: November 03, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
Got up with an hour and 3 minutes to dress and take PA to a doctor's appt.  Nailed it.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5468 on: November 03, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
Did some repair work on a house damaged two years ago during hurricane Sandy :zombiefuck:
Did some cosmetic foundation repairs on another house
Made and painted some decorative trim boards to install tomorrow
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5469 on: November 05, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »
Showered, had some coffee and posted here.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5470 on: November 06, 2014, 01:26:46 AM »
Went on a morning walk then had a chocolate milkshake which was tasty. Came home and barely able to get inside due to Ceilidh moving stuff out of her room and in the way of the front door. She is moving the bed around so there is more floor space. I swept in her room to help out.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5471 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:25 PM »

My dad built 3 hi-fi sets in the early 1960's.  On New Year's Eve he would put the speaker to our set outside and play Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture at full blast.  He always timed it so the cannons shot off at midnight.  (It was a record made with real cannons overlayed with the hall recording.)

One thing that is interesting about that particular piece of musical work is that is is so often played with some sort of make believe cannon sound effect.

Even inside; once I used my sound system (it was paid work) where, at the right moment they had a "percussion musician" fire a shotgun into a barrel filled with sand to emulate the sound of a cannon.

Yes, every one of my microphones (I think I had seventeen microphones covering the orchestra) went "max out"  and as loud as the sound was live, back stage, my sound system, amplified the the sounds it captured. REALLY. Half of the people in the audience stood up and clapped.

They experienced not only the massive sound of a shotgun fired into a barrel  backstage in a super efficient  auditorium, they felt basically every thing my sound system could do to support that sound from  the stage.(I never went minimal with my sound jobs - I had a lot of power there, really!) Everyone stood up and clapped, but I am sure it was from the fact that the orchestra company scared everyone in the audience with an incredible sound effect created outside most everyone's imagination.

Honestly. it was a night to remember as evidenced by the simple fact that, after all these nights and all these other jobs  have done since, I still remember THAT night, after about thirty years.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5472 on: November 06, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »

BTW, I think that your dad's timing had to be almost superhumanly amazing!!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5473 on: November 06, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
OK, so now I am actually talking about today, for once.

Today,  set aside and "processed" twenty seven hundred movies (mostly Halloween shit that did not sell) to be sent back to our warehouse for credit.

I am sort of exhausted, but kind of in a Halloween way. I feel that all the joy of Halloween has been sucked out of me by some kind of work vampires. SHIT!! 

Even went in on my day off to get rid of Halloween, Seriously!

Thankfully, It is done and I can actually take some sleep, now!

Only problem; I have about forty boxes of Christmas shit  to put out now.

:hurl:

EDIT: Trying this:   :puke:

Sorry, I though that was how the smiley worked, but suffice it to say, I am puking about having to deal with Christmas already.

Finished with editing, but at least, I now remember how to puke on screen.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:23:34 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5474 on: November 06, 2014, 10:46:44 PM »
Went to a martial arts workshop, made tacos, watched some Futurama, read things on the internet.

Kind of interested to know what a a "Martial Arts Workshop" might be.

Offer details?

Oh, and tacos sound really good to me right now! Any more details?

:thumbup:

It was an Arnis Cruzada hosted by the local arnis group that I've been with for the past year and a half. Three groups from cities in the area got together at a community center for the day and some of the masters and more advanced students taught sessions. This time around there was more fun stuff than srs bzness. It was halloween themed, so each of the groups picked a monster from Filipino mythology and adapted some techniques from the art that might be particularly useful against it.

Our group did the tikbalang, which is a giant creature that has the head of a horse, the torso of a man and the legs of a horse. It has a golden mane and the story goes that if you can pluck three golden hairs, you can control it. It would come charging head-on at you, so the techniques involved doing a side step while swinging the stick/blade at the nearest knee, coming up into an overhead strike on the back of the neck as you flanked it.

Another was the matruculan, which is an invisible ghoul that attacks a pregnant woman and eats her fetus. A couple of guys taught the knife techniques which the man of the house is supposed to do while standing over her belly, as someone else chants the prayers. One guy did the prayer in tagalog while a woman put a towel up her shirt and lay down, and it was pretty creepy to hear and see.

The third one was the aswang, which appears as a beautiful woman during the day, but during the night goes to the banana groves and separates along the waist, so the legs are left standing there while the top half morphs into an old winged hag and flies off to hunt. Supposedly they can be hurt by a manta ray tail the same way a werewolf can be hurt by a silver bullet, so the techniques were about how to choke someone and take them down using a rolled-up towel or rope. Also if you can find the legs, you can salt the top of them and then the top half won't be able to connect to them again and it'll die at dawn.

The tacos were very ordinary tacos. :P Hard taco shells from the grocery, a salsa which WolFish had taken from a jar and strained the liquid out of so that it wouldn't be so watery, ground beef with seasoning, fresh avocado (my favorite part) and lettuce.

I take my hat of to you and bow.

I am really pleased to see some of the "young folk" learn martial arts. I have actually been a "practicing student"  since I was sixteen years of age.
At My point in life, having to allow for my horrid hip injury/surgery  (I only have one side with true power. The other, I  have to keep safe, if you know what THAT might entail. Most of my forty three years of training is useless, now.)(EDIT:  That bit might be an over statement.  I might not be as far along as I am if it had not been for what I have learned along the way.  Just NEVER give up! fight for every inch!  ... and you will find miles of success! Sorry to pretend to be a sensei, but wait, I WAS born before you, but I feel that anyone who reads my advice and follows through will be stronger.) has set me quite a bit behind where I should be in helping my kids grow to be as strong as I once was.

Keep making yourself as pure as you can be. You will amaze even yourself with what you can accomplish!

Take it from an old hat!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:59:25 PM by DirtDawg »