Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157656 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #5160 on: July 16, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
Took the kid to his apt since his dad is sick.

Nowhere to park, room fun of screaming kids and dysfunctional adults, some religious sermon playing on the radio, an over one hour wait, and some kid started throwing legos at me until I shot him one of those "leave me alone or I will eat your soul" looks.  :GA:

Thank heavens I took my meds. :zoinks:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5161 on: July 16, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
Walked way too far.

I'm visiting my aspie friend and we went to the park and drew things, went to a museum, and found a trail down a steep slope into a patch of woodland in the middle of the city so thick you couldn't see the buildings any longer and couldn't tell you weren't in the middle of nowhere. Stopped at a cafe to get a drink and then trekked home.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5162 on: July 16, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
Took the kid to his apt since his dad is sick.

Nowhere to park, room fun of screaming kids and dysfunctional adults, some religious sermon playing on the radio, an over one hour wait, and some kid started throwing legos at me until I shot him one of those "leave me alone or I will eat your soul" looks.  :GA:

Thank heavens I took my meds. :zoinks:

I had to puzzle this one out.  I thought apt = apartment,  it must be appointment.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5163 on: July 20, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »
Just made myself a jar full of plum jam. Some of the plums were well ripe and some (com.) fruit flies had found the plums too. Um, I had to act swiftly.. and did so.. and within 10 minutes I had 'meself' p/m 400 ml of nice jam.

Have ordered a new door also this afternoon. Bathroom door is ready now and I'm going to replace all 3 doors in the hallway on the first floor. One after the other. Two to go, thus.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5164 on: July 20, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
I've never done plum, but made some really nice blackberry jam before. There is a playing field just a stones throw from my gaff that dog walkers use etc. and one side is completely covered in masses of blackberry bushes.

Might experiment this year, as I've found a big patch of japanese wineberries, and sea buckthorn bushes (unrelated to the true buckthorn, and lacks the purgative properties of the former), sea buckthorn produces clusters of small round orange berries, sour and tart in taste, with one of the highest vitamin C contents of any fruit. Not THE highest, but its a close contender for the title. Unique flavor, quite aromatic and tasty. I'm considering trying them stewed with sugar, to bake in a pie for the filling, perhaps with the wineberries mixed in.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5165 on: July 20, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
The jam made of plums is really nice. Maybe if you bump into them some day and they're not that expensive (the season is now.. you might find them for a little money). The procedure is the same as for most jams.. and/but no extra pectin is needed with plums.

I was busy explaining the procedure (here/now) but then thought.. nah, that's not needed at all. He knows how to make jam.

Maybe a pro-tip is: to 'marinade' the cleaned plums (made smaller) with the sugar, the lemon juice, a stick of cinnamon and half a vanilla pod (plus scraping of it's inside) for an hour/maybe two before you start boiling them for p/m 4/5 minutes. Stick and pod to be removed just before that.

I did so this time..

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5166 on: July 20, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
Oh I can get plums easily enough, its just that I have never actually gone to the shop with the intent to buy any and make jam.

They are nice enough, but not my favourite fruit. That title would have to go either to lychee, mango, or grenadilla, or possibly custard apple (Cherimoya spp.), Not that any of those would last long enough to survive the journey from sale point to home, let alone to get cooked down to jam. Although lychee preserve sounds like it would be delightful..the local newsagent corner shop sells boxes of the juice by the liter, and I've bought him out of stock a fair few times, even then, it has barely lasted a couple of hours before drinking the lot. I LOVE lychees.

Can't wait to go hunting for wild nosh when i go hiking in a couple of days. My old man has managed to get some time off, have a carer come round to deal with my mom for 8 hours, so we are going round a few different places, a reservoir and some woods. Perfect time to do some mushroom hunting. I hope the weather doesn't stay so hot and rainless, so there will be more chance of bringing supper home. My mom won't eat anything I pick, she never has trusted wild mushroom harvests, never mind the fact that I've never been poisoned. Oh well, that just means all the more for me.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5167 on: July 20, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
If you cook the stones  of the plums with the jam, and leave them in the jam when storing it in jars, the plum jam will get an almond-like flavour. A flavour that will get stronger over time.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5168 on: July 20, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
Nothing like a hint of cyanide to add flavor to your jam making efforts:D

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5169 on: July 21, 2014, 01:06:02 AM »
 :viking:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5170 on: July 21, 2014, 01:44:02 AM »
Many Prunus species, and allies contain sufficient cyanogenic glycosides to pose a risk of cyanide poisoning if actually consumed, in the case of peace pits, they have even been used as a historic means of capital punishment, although I forget in what country. That bitter almond scent is pleasant though, I love marzipan, and working in the lab if ever I need to use benzaldehyde for anything (same smell, although without the toxicity of xyzC=-N (meant to look like a triple bond, there being nothing to represent it on the keyboard, and buggered if I can be bothered looking up to see if there is in ASCII) its always pleasant, first encountered it whilst making some TNT as a kid, having tried to run the nitration with a nitrate salt and conc. H2SO4, the entire room ponged to high heaven of marzipan, I could even smell it from the landing or down the stairs for a while it was that all-pervading. Much nicer than some things capable of doing the same though, far rather benzaldehyde than for instance, methanethiol (sort of fecal, rotting meaty, gas-leak like stink that CARRIES like nobodys fucking business, even a fungus species endemic to the british isles amongst other places, that releases trace quantities of it can sometimes be located by nose alone from as far as half a mile or so)

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5171 on: July 21, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »
I was never allowed to eat more than two prune stone kernels from the jam. And was warned about not chewing up too many apple seeds too. Love the bitter-sweet of it.
Love almonds, and marzipan. Great scent, great taste.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5172 on: July 21, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
Went out to the range with SO and practiced with the little .22 and the .222.

Came home did :laundry: ,cooked, and watched them put the second layer of paving on the road in front.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5173 on: July 24, 2014, 05:45:59 AM »

I just finished making myself some onion soup. Going to eat it for dinner later on. Maybe teach myself to fart our national anthem after that.  :autism:

Nah..

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5174 on: July 24, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
Worked more weeding out the neighbors yard/hillside.