Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157503 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #4680 on: January 18, 2014, 12:32:46 PM »
Deep cleaning around the house
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4681 on: January 18, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »
Life is easy, compared to a few years ago.

I laugh a lot. My girls are growing getting stronger, more mature, still playfull with a wicked sense of humour.

And, though it sucks not to be able to get a paid job at the moment, I now am happy to be in a volunteering position. I can see what it going wrong, but it will not have an effect on my income. I can use it to learn to deal with the stress it brings, and can use it to see my strengths and my dangers.

(Somehow now I get away with pretty obnoxious behaviour, because it pays off, but in a paid position, I would not have that freedom, not this much at least)

Getting an assessment next week, to see if there is someone willing to hire an aspie without disability compensation. Good to know my weaknesses and strengths better, when having that meeting.

Oh, thanks for the update! Yeah, work is a tough one. I'm considering if it's possible or worthwhile discussing the Aspergers with them. It's undisclosed at the moment, but my environment is noisy, difficult to work in for most people, let alone me who can't keep up with all the backstabbing and games. That in itself is stressful.

Lucky to have a job though. Just always wonder if disclosing would ever be a good idea.

I hope your assessment goes well!

I tend to NOT disclose anything, until I can "trust" someone, then I let it out in tiny parcels, making THEM  put it all together and assess each step as I go.

:violin:

... been down this road before. It is a tough call and dangerous, either way you go.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4682 on: January 18, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »

I laugh a lot. My girls are growing getting stronger, more mature, still playfull with a wicked sense of humour.

And, though it sucks not to be able to get a paid job at the moment, I now am happy to be in a volunteering position. I can see what it going wrong, but it will not have an effect on my income. I can use it to learn to deal with the stress it brings, and can use it to see my strengths and my dangers.

(Somehow now I get away with pretty obnoxious behaviour, because it pays off, but in a paid position, I would not have that freedom, not this much at least)

Getting an assessment next week, to see if there is someone willing to hire an aspie without disability compensation. Good to know my weaknesses and strengths better, when having that meeting.

Oh, thanks for the update! Yeah, work is a tough one. I'm considering if it's possible or worthwhile discussing the Aspergers with them. It's undisclosed at the moment, but my environment is noisy, difficult to work in for most people, let alone me who can't keep up with all the backstabbing and games. That in itself is stressful.

Lucky to have a job though. Just always wonder if disclosing would ever be a good idea.

These are legitimate complaints without disclosure.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4683 on: January 18, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »

I tend to NOT disclose anything, until I can "trust" someone, then I let it out in tiny parcels, making THEM  put it all together and assess each step as I go.

:violin:

... been down this road before. It is a tough call and dangerous, either way you go.

Indeed. My disclosure came after I burned down, and found out about Aspergers. They kept me on sick leave for a long long time. I was on that for two years. I wanted to start to work, therapeutically, or anything, but they did not let me. It's now in my files. Not disclosing would not make sense now, I have a gap of years in my resume. But it is biting me in the ass.
I applied for disability income, just because with the DX a disability income would get me a job, that would get me a boss getting compensated for hiring me. That's what a disability income for a condition stemming from childhood is meant for in this country. The guy I saw for applying, he said I was the reason the income was invented, but alas, I would fall through the cracks, and not get it. He tried his best, and was man enough to call me himself, telling me he had not succeeded getting it for me.

Despite me having had jobs before, now with a known DX, I am screwed.

Did tell me a lot about people though, having my DX disclosed. For some it makes no difference, they take me for who I am, for my talents and faults, just like they do with everyone. There are others too. Some of them people who knew me for quite a long time. And they now treat me as if I don't exist, or am like shit.
Most people I meet are OK about it. But on paper, it screws my chances for a job, so far.

So, disclosure, only if you know it is really safe to do so, I think, or after getting retired. I do think it is important that adults tell about being on the spectrum. It is important for the ones younger than us, that society knows we exist, that there are adults on the spectrum, adults functioning in society. But, as long as adults get shunned for that, losing job opportunities, it is a dangerous thing to do.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4684 on: January 18, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I think I go through phases of wanting to disclose, but when I deeply think it through, it somehow feels more stressful than keeping it hidden!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4685 on: January 18, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I think I go through phases of wanting to disclose, but when I deeply think it through, it somehow feels more stressful than keeping it hidden!

Most people are OK with quirks, habits and sensitivities. As long as they don't get the name autism. You might get away quite well with telling how some things really irk you at work.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4686 on: January 19, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
Accepted an invitation to watch an American football game this afternoon, cooked up the pork roast we were going to have for dinner (may have it Monday instead or freeze it), washed a load of clothes.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4687 on: January 19, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »

Most people are OK with quirks, habits and sensitivities. As long as they don't get the name autism. You might get away quite well with telling how some things really irk you at work.

It's the one thing where removing Asperger as a separate dx will do harm. Disclosure.

Funny, btw, how you can get away with things if you don't have a label.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4688 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:33 AM »

It's the one thing where removing Asperger as a separate dx will do harm. Disclosure.

:indeed:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4689 on: January 20, 2014, 01:11:17 AM »
Reported two kids sick today.   :(

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4690 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:59 AM »

I don't understand what your sentence means Odeon? Could you elaborate or rewrite?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4691 on: January 20, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »
Went out and got a coffee with Max then walked a little by the river

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4692 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »

I don't understand what your sentence means Odeon? Could you elaborate or rewrite?

Telling people you have Asperger's will make them think of you as a nerd but telling you are autistic will make them think you are retarded. People are ignorant about these things. So removing Asperger as a separate dx is a problem if you want to disclose your dx, IMHO.

Did I manage to explain it better?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4693 on: January 20, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »

Telling people you have Asperger's will make them think of you as a nerd but telling you are autistic will make them think you are retarded. People are ignorant about these things. So removing Asperger as a separate dx is a problem if you want to disclose your dx, IMHO.

There is always the option of just telling them Asperger's  anyway like they will really know what it means it's also still in wide use.  I personally don't tell people much of anything about it as they take any sort of mental heath issue as your crazy

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4694 on: January 20, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »

There is always the option of just telling them Asperger's  anyway like they will really know what it means it's also still in wide use.  I personally don't tell people much of anything about it as they take any sort of mental heath issue as your crazy

Telling about the things that bother you the most, without mentioning Aspergers or Autism probably is the safest way to disclose something of what is hard for you in life.