Start here > Games

What have you done today? (Pt 2)

<< < (2568/2585) > >>

Parts:
Loaded up the van for the weekend
Hid two garden gnomes in my son's yard for the grandkids to look for.  I hide little ones around my house for them to find like a scavenger hunt when they come over :green:

renaeden:

--- Quote from: Parts on April 25, 2024, 05:42:29 PM ---Loaded up the van for the weekend
Hid two garden gnomes in my son's yard for the grandkids to look for.  I hide little ones around my house for them to find like a scavenger hunt when they come over :green:

--- End quote ---
Aw, you're a good grandfather. :)

All I've done this morning is feed the cats and take meds.

DirtDawg:
A couple of days ago I spent half the day with my daughter on a plant search, but not the bigbox stores. We trekked to find the local mom and pops nurseries looking for something unique, but mainly to support small business rather than just saving a buck or two.

Lowe's doesn't care, but dropping $40 on a plant at a small store means more to them.
I came home with three nice big well grown perennials to plant out.

Started that same afternoon preparing the spots for planting.
Soil in this place is absolute garbage junk crap, mostly clay with enough stones to make a concrete starter.

Today, I got all three in the ground! Properly bedded for years, the way I do it up.

*hero pose*

Gopher Gary:
Yesterday I grocery shopped and picked up prescriptions. Today I did my Saturday housework and washed the cars. :hadron:

DirtDawg:

--- Quote from: DirtDawg on April 21, 2024, 10:11:40 AM ---Not today, but yesterday!

But MOST importantly, I came across my next project!
......  this old crusty rusty dried out cast iron beast is going to RUN!

--- End quote ---

Back to this for a moment ........    been busy today with this .........

That Baldor sat here for too long (gardening season - NOW) before I even brought my old dim bulb thingy over to see what happens when I try some juice. Nothing smoked. I kept going.

It runs on 220V dual phase normally, but there is a connection configuration setting for 110v single phase, which I had handy and I tried. It worked, barely, sounded horrible, so I re-figured all the wiring and set it up for 220V. Managed a long cable. Don't ask.

Well, this old rusted out motor blasted away like a herd of turtles. IT RUNS!! It's rough, but it's NOT junk. I'll make it new again!

I took the safety thing away and gave it another shot. It works and seems powerful, but it sounds like a thrashing machine.

I shut it down right away, oiled everything again. Gave it another go. The damn thing runs sharp as a tack on 220V, but needs bearings and such.

This is another time when I wish I could give a shit about yuotube. Rebuilding this beast might make for what ever it is that makes ad revenue from shit you just post out there.
Not my area.

Next is to just take it completely apart, clean everything and redress all the moving and contact surfaces. I actually found the exact replacement bearings and brushes from a few minutes search. Less than easy, compared to some things I've tried to find.

I thought about just waiting until I was done with my current project before ordering the parts, but it's only about $90 for everything, even the new thrust bushings with smaller extras to set thrust properly. That and the oiler felt pieces I had not even thought of yet. It's very old. It has its ways! But it's made out of cast iron! Heavy as fuck!

Once I move it off the bench, I am afraid that forever might be here before I get started on it, again.
Ordering the parts seemed smart.

Grainger to the rescue. I decided to call, talk to a human and place the order.

I'm ordering all this motor stuff and of course, I am upsold as far as possible, but the guy never offered me anything that I couldn't use on this rebuild. His problem with building his sale to me was that I already have everything else I need to get this back to better than brand new with modern super bones from his company and freshly revived guts, all new copper wiring connections, etc.

Tip of my hat though for decent treatment to a random nobody like me on the phone from that guy serving customers. I'll ask for Jason D, next time!

Still watching the weather for a decent painting day. I want to finish my speakers! It's been toooooo wet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version