Educational

Author Topic: Lack of Online Resources Explaining the Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories  (Read 3788 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: Lack of Online Resources Explaining the Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »
Mythbusters and Penn & Teller were good.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Lack of Online Resources Explaining the Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »
You know, we see a lot of sites that speak against religion but not enough against conspiracy theories. Wish there were more of them, specifically pertaining to the psychology behind such theories (if they should be called theories).

I'm not  sure if it's still up, but skeptic.com used to be a good site for de-bunking just about everything.

It's run by Dr. Michael Shermer, a hevyweight in the de-bunking biz here in the US.

He's good friends with the Mythbusters duo ( Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage), Penn&Teller and Eugine Scott from the National Center for Science Education.

It's up. Very good site.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
There is most likely all sorts of shady crap going on with governments and such, and I don't deny any possible existence of some secret "world government", but to be honest I am fairly apathetic about it. I hate humanity too much to care. :LOL:

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »
There is most likely all sorts of shady crap going on with governments and such, and I don't deny any possible existence of some secret "world government", but to be honest I am fairly apathetic about it. I hate humanity too much to care. :LOL:

It's clear from this post you are the leader of such a government. :tinfoil: :GA:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 08:10:33 PM »
I just want everyone to know that my government is exemplary, and totally honest. :harp:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »
I just want everyone to know that my government is exemplary, and totally honest. :harp:

How can we not believe Her Majesty?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »

Thank you.  Your comment is most kind.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »

Indeed, at 4'11" she is clearly too tiny and cute to do anything dishonest!  :heart:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »
Besides,

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
Besides,

Consult with Lady Weeble to see if I can fit you into my schedule.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »
[Telephone ringing...]

"Lady Weeble, is there a possiblity that QV can fit me into her schedule?

Thanks"

[click]

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 11:59:03 PM »
[Telephone ringing...]

"Lady Weeble, is there a possiblity that QV can fit me into her schedule?

Thanks"

[click]

I'm always happy to help Her Majesty's subjects when they wish to meet with her!   :snowman:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

midlifeaspie

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
Speaking of conspiracy theories, how about global warming?

We know that global warming is a natural event that happens at the beginning and end of each ice-age, and yet we have all these greenies and pollies pushing the alternative energy message. I'm convinced that it's all to do with money, as the alternative energy people need grants and things to get their projects underway, and who better to convince than the greenies who have the government's ear.

Global warming = carbon tax = more money for govt funding.

That particular conspiracy theory belongs to the anti-science American neo-conservative tea party movement.  i didn't know it actually got any traction out in the rest of the rest of the world.  My opinion of Australia just dropped :(

midlifeaspie

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »
I must sound crazy :P

Just a little bit. :)

Occam's Razor.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
Speaking of conspiracy theories, how about global warming?

We know that global warming is a natural event that happens at the beginning and end of each ice-age, and yet we have all these greenies and pollies pushing the alternative energy message. I'm convinced that it's all to do with money, as the alternative energy people need grants and things to get their projects underway, and who better to convince than the greenies who have the government's ear.

Global warming = carbon tax = more money for govt funding.

That particular conspiracy theory belongs to the anti-science American neo-conservative tea party movement.  i didn't know it actually got any traction out in the rest of the rest of the world.  My opinion of Australia just dropped :(

No, the global warming theory is conspiracy, as these idiots think that by getting govt taxes to spend on half-assed projects like solar power and windfarms, they are going to save the planet. Bullshit with a capital B.