Educational

Author Topic: Bar Codes  (Read 175 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Bar Codes
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:45:51 PM »
A friend sent me this.  If you're interested in "Buying American"  this might help.  Don't know if it is good in other countries.

HOW TO READ BAR CODES

ALWAYS READ THE LABELS ON THE FOODS YOU BUY--NO MATTER WHAT THE FRONT OF THE BOX OR PACKAGE SAYS, TURN IT OVER AND READ THE BACK---CAREFULLY

With all the food and pet products now coming from China, it is best to make sure you read the label at the store and especially Walmart when buying food products.  Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is located.  It is important to read the bar code to track its origin.  This may be interesting to know when grocery shopping if it's a concern to you.

If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690, 691or 692, the product is made in China.

00 - 09 ...USA & CANADA
30 - 37 ... FRANCE
40 - 44 ...GERMANY
471 ... TAIWAN
49 ... JAPAN
50 ... UK

UPDATE - According to Snopes the numbers cannot be strictly relied on to indicate source.  An item may be grown in Chili, but processed in Mexico and would show a Mexican bar code.  So, take this list with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:52:10 PM by Queen Victoria »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

eris

Re: Bar Codes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
I know someone that has a barcode tattooed on the back of his neck. I dont know what the numbers are.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
I know someone that has a barcode tattooed on the back of his neck. I dont know what the numbers are.

Are you sure it's a barcode and not a prison number?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

eris

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
:D yes

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
I looked at the box for the inflatable mattress I have and the first numbers on the bar code are way different. But the box says that it was Made in China.

So, I guess we're not safe. But are there any examples of food products that are made in China and sold in the USA? I know it's extremely common with stuff like electronics and toys, but not with food.