Author Topic: WTF?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
Re: WTF?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
Netflix was the second to last nail.  I think RedBox finished them off.

I always said that job could be done by monkeys, but a vending machine makes even more sense.  I thought Redbox came out before Netflix, but I could be wrong on that.  Netflix streaming has certainly killed both my video renting habits and any need for cable TV, though I hadn't rented a movie in years anyway. 

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
I wish the same happened to GameStop. :thumbdn:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »

The Redbox locations in my city carry games now.  Not many, but I doubt it will be long before there are dedicated vending machines for games.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »

Never worked for them, though I did have stint at EB games between game testing gigs back in the day.  With any luck, streaming games should put them under soon enough, though their trade in scam is pretty lucrative so it could take a while.  Nasty place to work, everyone thinks their old games are worth what they paid for them, get pissed when you won't take their scratched up discs, bitches that the used games are only $5 less than the new ones, etc.  Everyone thinks "ooh, video games, that should be a fun job"...

Osensitive1

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
Gamestop doesn't rent. What's your complaint with them?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »
Anyway, dvds are cheap enough nowadays you can buy a copy and never have to worry about late fees. And if you want personal copies, just burn them.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »

They open up new copies of games and sell them as new, for one thing.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/report-gamestop-opening-deus-ex-copies-removing-free-game-code.ars

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
There is no way I'd ever agree to paying anything if I knew I had returned the DVDs.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
There is no way I'd ever agree to paying anything if I knew I had returned the DVDs.

Agreed. I would stick to my guns and just never go there again if they keep being assholes about it. They'll loose out hundreds of dollars on future renting I might have done and for what, insisting a few bucks on late fees when I returned them on time? Fuck 'em.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »

Agreed. I would stick to my guns and just never go there again if they keep being assholes about it. They'll loose out hundreds of dollars on future renting I might have done and for what, insisting a few bucks on late fees when I returned them on time? Fuck 'em.

And I'd make noise about it all the way.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
I feel ya. Had something similar happen to me a few years ago.

Something's just not right with the system here in Australia.

Osensitive1

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »

They open up new copies of games and sell them as new, for one thing.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/report-gamestop-opening-deus-ex-copies-removing-free-game-code.ars
Thought they only did used stuff, but yes, that's a crap thing to do, also strange to do.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
Don't pay them!   just out of curiosity - do they have cctv in there store?  I wonder if they
have looked at it and seen that you did hand over the dvd's!
blah blah blah

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
Don't pay them!   just out of curiosity - do they have cctv in there store?  I wonder if they
have looked at it and seen that you did hand over the dvd's!

I think they do have cctv, and the empty cases are all you see on the shelves. The dvds themselves are meant to be in the cabinet at the counter.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 02:12:32 AM »

And I'd make noise about it all the way.
Two things stopped me.

1. I have been on the bones of my arse until recently and I fucking remember the horror of the all too often harassment from collection areas and so forth, over fuck all. I really was not that invested in bringing that atrtention on.

2. That said I was willing to tear this Manager a new one until I saw his performance in trying to be hard and tough over this and he was so nervous, awkward, stressed and so on....I simply caved. If he had of been a bastard I would have ripped shit out of him and publically and probably had a lot of fun.
I mean I basically gave him an out because I felt sorry for him. I felt like telling him he really wasn't good at this.
He seemed relieved when I told him he did not have to try and convince me of fault even though he had failed here and that I would pay it regardless. It would have been easier if he was an arsehole or arrogant. He simply wasn't. It is hard to berate someone like that.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap