Educational

Author Topic: Brainteaser: The Truthteller and the Togglers  (Read 7217 times)

Osensitive1

Re: Brainteaser: The Truthteller and the Togglers
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 12:18:54 AM »
Yeah. Thinking you're trolling me again. It's in plain black and white. Toggler, whether telling the truth, or telling a lie, identifies the truth teller. It's simple. The question isn't are you a toggler, but who is a toggler/ who are the togglers.

No, you said the question is 'are you a toggler?'

Even the question 'who is/are the toggler(s)?' won't give you the answer you want on the fiirst question.

Why do you accuse trolling when someone disagrees with you?
Like I said, not reading my posts. My first correct solution was to ask, are you a toggler. This required two questions. I've since come up with a better quesiton which requires no second question, and that question is who are the togglers. On the assumption of full truth and lie. My answer is correct.  Not thinking you disagree, but aren't reading.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:24:15 AM by Jack »

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 12:19:34 AM »
You know, I love this thread, nice thinking exercise. But I think it was fluke that I solved it because usually I'm supposed to suck at brainteasers lol. :laugh:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2011, 12:20:28 AM »

Yeah. Thinking you're trolling me again. It's in plain black and white. Toggler, whether telling the truth, or telling a lie, identifies the truth teller. It's simple. The question isn't are you a toggler, but who is a toggler/ who are the togglers.

Even the question 'who is/are the toggler(s)?' won't give you the answer you want on the fiirst question.

It depends on how a lying toggler answers. If he's going to be completely lying, then yes, one question only is needed. If he's going to mention himself as a toggler along with the Truthteller, then yes it becomes a problem.

Both of you are right.

Thanks.

It really is a tricky conundrum, one that can keep people going for ages.

Where did you find that one, MC?

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »
You know, I love this thread, nice thinking exercise. But I think it was fluke that I solved it because usually I'm supposed to suck at brainteasers lol. :laugh:

To be honest, I actually didn't expect such enthusiasm. But I'm pleasantly surprised.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 12:22:44 AM »

It depends on how a lying toggler answers. If he's going to be completely lying, then yes, one question only is needed. If he's going to mention himself as a toggler along with the Truthteller, then yes it becomes a problem.

Both of you are right.

Thanks.

It really is a tricky conundrum, one that can keep people going for ages.

Where did you find that one, MC?

Yeah, it's a brilliant exercise, isn't it? I got it from one of the brainteaser videos at Khan Academy. But even the guy speaking in the video seemed to have been confused by this problem.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2011, 12:25:51 AM »

To be honest, I actually didn't expect such enthusiasm. But I'm pleasantly surprised.

If that were asked at WP, you'd get responses like 'what's a toggler?', 'autistics don't lie!', 'Autism Speaks will find a cure!' etc. I would say this is the thinking-persons' forum, alright.

Osensitive1

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »

It kind of pissed me off a little. :laugh:

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »

That's what brainteasers for. ;)

P7PSP

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:06 AM »

Not me, I just posted a bonehead response and let the smart ones figure it out.  :viking:

Osensitive1

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 12:42:35 AM »
Toggler. You knew the answer the whole time.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 02:26:17 AM »
Nah, I've never known PPK to lie, so he can't be a toggler.

Unless you're suggesting.....

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2011, 02:29:39 AM »
...We're all togglers?
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 04:05:04 AM »
Well, think about it this way.

Only 5 have posted here in this thread. This matches the number of the 5 men in that riddle.

Therefore, four of us are Togglers and one of us is the Truthteller.

The question is ... who's who?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
This thread is Aspie gold  :thumbup:

P7PSP

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »