Author Topic: Brainteaser: The Truthteller and the Togglers  (Read 7232 times)

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Brainteaser: The Truthteller and the Togglers
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »
I'm unable to fully understand your points, Professor. But I appreciate the effort you made in coming up with your own answer.

Your answer could be correct for all I know, but my simple mind is just unable to figure out if it's so. Sorry, mate.

But that was pure ownage nevertheless. :autism:

Let's see Jack's answer next.

Osensitive1

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Aso had trouble with the professor's answer but after thinking about it, believe it would certainly work. The first question is, who are the four togglers? The truth teller will answer, everyone but themself. A lying toggler will also answer everyone but them self. Either way, the second quesiton of, who is the truth teller, will be true. If the answer to the first question includes their self as a toggler, then one knows they're telling the truth, and no second quesiton is needed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:16:16 PM by Jack »

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »
Your who are togglers question is the key. First ask, are you a toggler? If the answer is no, then it's either the truth teller or a lying toggler. Either way, the next answer will be true, so if the answer is no then the second question should be, who is the truth teller? If the answer to the first question is yes, then it has to be a toggler telling the truth, because the truth teller would answer no. Since the second answer will be a lie, the second question should be, who else is a toggler?

Oh, and don't be messing with my karma. :P

Correct, Jack. Well done. You've thought it through carefully.

Here's some kar ... actually, nevermind. I'll just give it to Professor for you. :P

Osensitive1

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
Here's some kar ... actually, nevermind. I'll just give it to Professor for you. :P
Professor got it right first. :)

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
Aso had trouble with the professor's answer but after thinking about it, believe it would certainly work. The first question is, who are the four togglers? The truth teller will answer, everyone but themself. A lying toggler will also answer everyone but them self. Either way, the second quesiton of, who is the truth teller, will be true. If a toggler includes their self as a toggler, then one knows they're telling the truth, and no second quesiton is needed.

If that's what Professor said, then that does seem to be correct.

Ok, then. Professor got it correct first. Congrats, mate.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
Question 1 could be: Are you a liar?

The truthteller will always answer 'no' to this, as they never lie. The togglers will answer either yes or no, depending if they are lying/telling the truth. Either answer could still provoke a second question, as you can't confirm the liars/truthtellers from just the one question.

The second question therefore is a tricky one, and as you still have all 5 participants in play, it means it has to be a question that will nail the case shut. Unfortunately, I haven't the foggiest of what to ask for that one.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »

The truthteller will always answer 'no' to this, as they never lie. The togglers will answer either yes or no, depending if they are lying/telling the truth. Either answer could still provoke a second question, as you can't confirm the liars/truthtellers from just the one question.

The second question therefore is a tricky one, and as you still have all 5 participants in play, it means it has to be a question that will nail the case shut. Unfortunately, I haven't the foggiest of what to ask for that one.

Well, if you or anyone else can come up with another correct answer, it'd be good to post. Who knows how many correct answers this problem has.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
Aso had trouble with the professor's answer but after thinking about it, believe it would certainly work. The first question is, who are the four togglers? The truth teller will answer, everyone but themself. A lying toggler will also answer everyone but them self. Either way, the second quesiton of, who is the truth teller, will be true. If a toggler includes their self as a toggler, then one knows they're telling the truth, and no second quesiton is needed.

Thanks. Although I think I misinterpreted statement as meaning sentences within the same answer. So my answer to this was more elaborate than needed.

My method is more about exploiting the rules and forcing them to answer in a way that makes it piss easy to know the solution without the need of a second question, even if they try to get smart and invoke multiple statements in one answer.

But here's the thing, a lying toggler actually cannot say everyone but himself, because it's an half-truth as one statement/answer and that contradicts the rules and also renders the rules meaningless if allowed. So he's forced to tell the truth and include himself on the list. The second question is then never needed, but in case you're unsure, might as well use it. :orly:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:29:10 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
lol, I'll just keep it simple for my own sanity.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
lol, I'll just keep it simple for my own sanity.

Heh, and I'll keep it complicated for my own insanity. :toporly:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Osensitive1

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »

Wasn't entirely sure that's what he said, but agree the question of who are the four togglers works perfectly.

Are you a liar is the same as asking are you a toggler, so an answer of no would prompt the quesion of who is the truth teller. An answer of yes would prompt the question of who else is a liar.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »
Asking only one person makes it a bit more difficult to get a conclusive answer, as you are never goi8ng to know which one is which straight up. Using my theory:

Q1 - Are you a liar?

#1: No
#2: No
#3: No
#4: No
#5: No

One of those statements is definitively the truth, as the truthteller can never lie. So the togglers would be lying if they said no as the the formula goes lie/truth/lie; or if it went truth/lie/truth, then they too would be telling the truth. Assuming the first formula is correct, the next question will be:

Q2: Is your answer to Q1 correct?

You will get a yes from the truthteller, but you may still not know exactly who they are, as each haven't answered their questions. But, for example, let's say it's person 1:

#1: Yes - truth
#2: Yes - lie
#3: Yes - lie
#4: Yes - lie
#5: Yes - lie

The problem with this scenario is that an assumption has to be made who is the truthteller, and all 5 participants still have to be asked.

Very tricky problem indeed.

Osensitive1

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
But here's the thing, a lying toggler actually cannot say everyone but himself, because it's an half-truth
Yes he can say everyone but himself and it still be a complete lie. The question is who are the four togglers, not who among you are togglers.

That makes me think of another one. The first quesion is, who among you are togglers. The truth teller will name everyone but himself, a truth telling toggler will have to include himself, and a lying toggler will only be able to name the truth teller. Either way, no second quesion is needed.

Osensitive1

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
That's right.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
But here's the thing, a lying toggler actually cannot say everyone but himself, because it's an half-truth
Yes he can say everyone but himself and it still be a complete lie. The question is who are the four togglers, not who among you are togglers.

That makes me think of another one. The first quesion is, who among you are togglers. The truth teller will name everyone but himself, a truth telling toggler will have to include himself, and a lying toggler will only be able to name the truth teller. Either way, no second quesion is needed.

That's assuming you get the correct person on the first attempt. As I said, the truthteller can't actually be revealed until Q2 has been answered, as no-one will know for sure who is who (except those being asked) and the questioner has to do the finding out.