Educational

Author Topic: Dox47  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Dox47
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »
Do you give free delivery to mainland customers if your pizzas are cold cos you couldn't get a boat?

Nah, we're island only.  There's actually a bridge on one side of the island that goes to an Indian reservation, but we don't deliver there, they're stuck with Domino's.  I don't think anyone does delivery guarantees anymore anyway, too many lawsuits when rushed drivers caused accidents back in the 80's.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Do you give free delivery to mainland customers if your pizzas are cold cos you couldn't get a boat?

Nah, we're island only.  There's actually a bridge on one side of the island that goes to an Indian reservation, but we don't deliver there, they're stuck with Domino's.  I don't think anyone does delivery guarantees anymore anyway, too many lawsuits when rushed drivers caused accidents back in the 80's.

Pizza Hut and Eagle Boys here still offer guarantees.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 01:15:40 AM »
I used to deliver pizza and I used to have to wear a bright pink polo shirt. Awful. Even though I delivered for only a short time, I had some strange experiences.

Are you doing this for a job now?

Eagle Boys?
Yeah! My sister's friend was part owner so that is how I got the job. I did it for nearly a year.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »
A few years ago there was a fight between Domino's and Eagle Boys over something I never really got the gist of. Something about one of them using unhealthy practices, and the other claiming their deliverers were being harassed. I think it was mainly centred around Townsville., sometime in '06-'07. Of course, it was only rumour, and the person who told me could have been laying the fertilizer.

eris

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
You seem like a bit of an internet hardman.

Do you feel that your tough guy reputation is damaged by the fact that you have been bitching and whining on a pizza delivery boys forum, about all pizza boys uniforms being too similar?

Nope, I've never hidden that I've slung pie off and on for years, I'm not ashamed about making $20/hr to drive around smoking cigars and dropping off food.  Why would working for a living affect my "tough guy" image?  Guns and such are my hobby and occasionally my job, but I do have bills to pay and I'm not too proud to take other work when I have to.  Ever worked in a late night restaurant?  Probably more guns, knives and clubs in there than in a respectable street gang, it's an interesting work environment.

20$ an hour to deliver pizza ? I cry foul. No way in hell.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »

Washington state minimum wage is $8.65 an hour or so.  I get $2 per order as commission, and I often take 3 or more at a time, with an average tip of $4+ per order.  Do the math, it's not hard to make that or more doing delivery work, and even better waiting tables or tending bar.  I can do $100+ in tips alone on a busy night, on a 4 hour shift no less.  It's easy money, especially for part time work.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »
Most pizza places I know specify at least 30-45 mins delivery, so how can you do 3 an hour? And the 30-45 mins is for a town of about 20,000 pop (my hometown). Here, the pop is probably 100,000 but there are more than one outlet for each store. Still the same delivery time.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 04:35:04 AM »
Most pizza places I know specify at least 30-45 mins delivery, so how can you do 3 an hour? And the 30-45 mins is for a town of about 20,000 pop (my hometown). Here, the pop is probably 100,000 but there are more than one outlet for each store. Still the same delivery time.

It only takes about 10 minutes to make a pizza from the time it's ordered including the cooking time, saucing cheeesing and topping only takes a sec, the limiting factor is the size and number of ovens the store has.  I can make one starting from a dough ball in 10 minutes, faster if I'm working from a pre-rolled skin.  My store quotes 30-60 minutes not because it takes us that long to make the food, but to give us more of a fudge factor to group close orders together with single drivers and/or account for mistakes and oven turns.  My store isn't even that busy, when I worked in Seattle we'd often do 4-5 deliveries at a time to the dorm rooms or apartment buildings; 30-40 runs a shift was not unusual.  Even that's not considered a busy store, some of the East Coast places with really high population density routinely have drivers doing 50+ deliveries a night, close in row houses and such make for fast delivery. 

eris

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »

Washington state minimum wage is $8.65 an hour or so.  I get $2 per order as commission, and I often take 3 or more at a time, with an average tip of $4+ per order.  Do the math, it's not hard to make that or more doing delivery work, and even better waiting tables or tending bar.  I can do $100+ in tips alone on a busy night, on a 4 hour shift no less.  It's easy money, especially for part time work.

I dont think the delivery man gets 2$ commission per pizza. And there is no way you can deliver that many pizzas a night or get that many tips.

If this was the case, and you really could make that much money, everyone would want the job.

eris

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
I did a quick google search of what washington state delivery drivers make delivering pizza, and everything pretty much says minimum wage, with no mention of commission or frequency.

I did however get many links to apply for food stamps if you work as one, as they dont make much money

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »
$4 seems pretty good for an average tip. I usually give between £0.75 and £1.50, and thats more than most folk give here.

eris

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »
If he got 4$ for every tip, it would take 25 deliveries to get 100$.

I dont think he can do that many deliveries in 8  hours.

Osensitive1

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »
Usually tip a doller per pizza ordered, so would only tip $4 if ordering four pizzas.

Psychophant

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
I give the pizza delivery guy a $4 tip here every time.  It's delicious pizza and they know us and deliver pretty quick.    8)

eris

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
i'm a good tipper. I leave 5$ at restaurants ( with like 25$ purchase) and always like 4$ and the "change" with delivery. I know that most people dont.

My dad wont ever tip anyone anything. I tried to explain to him that that is how waitresses make their money and they dont get paid much. He doesnt care :)