Educational

Author Topic: Low Quality Trolling  (Read 7889 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Re: Low Quality Trolling
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 06:44:25 AM »
Oh and PROTIP: Making things TL;DR automatically fails, especially when engaging another troll. :trollface:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Heya Dox. Long time no see.
Thanks for sharing.
Now here is the thing. I have read and listened to your opinion and I respect what you are saying. I simply do not agree.
Why? Trolling. Low grade trolling? Well it is perspective and bear with me. Sometimes there is a culture which exists and a status quo that needs attention. An injustice, an inconsistency, an unfairness or a wrongful misrepresentation.
When we see it we can choose to address it by the means we have available or by means that are not available.
We could also choose to ignore it.
I choose the addressing.
As to the amount of sheer effort in addressing it, well in the case of what I was prepared to do way back when? Certainly more than I am willing to be now. It addressed what I considered a problem and yes, I am pleased with that.
Low grade trolling now? Certainly, why do you expect me to go all out and address something not in my mind worth anymore than a bit of fun and derision?
You can call it an aspie being an aspie and say things were out of Parakeet's ability to control, but I see differently.
I think if you choose to threaten someone you deserve a slap. If you abuse someone you do as well. If you insult a group of people then aspie or not you will likely get some pushback and you ought to expect it.
You are not suggesting Parakeet is a completely without any cognitive function are you? No I thought as much.
You are not saying as an adult he ought not bear responsibility for his actions when he CHOOSES to insult? No?
You arguement kind of fails then in my opinion.
Much as I appreciate you voicing it, I do not see his I am an aspie as a kind of get out of jail free card like you do.
Food for thought mate.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 06:50:54 AM »
You used to have a gun pointing avatar on WP for a long while. I had a similar avatar for about five minutes before sins removed it. What made you so special? :M

I live within easy driving distance of her, and she knew it...  That's my guess anyway.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »
It's got nothing to do whether paratwit is an Aspie or not. He's being picked on cos he's a dick. No other reason.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 07:04:23 AM »
You used to have a gun pointing avatar on WP for a long while. I had a similar avatar for about five minutes before sins removed it. What made you so special? :M

I live within easy driving distance of her, and she knew it...  That's my guess anyway.

So you were intimidating to her? ???

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
I think you misunderstand me Sirles, I completely agree that AS is no get out of jail card (though I reserve the right to try it if I'm ever arrested), I just don't think the provocation warranted the level of response.  I mean someone insults you, you insult him back, end of story.  So what if he made a stupid threat, it happens when people lose their tempers.  What I saw was people deep into his personal life, insulting his wife, putting false information out there that could have real impact for him, doing real harm.  What particularly bothered me was the righteousness being expressed, like because of keet's religious beliefs it wasn't just OK but morally imperative to do this to him because the cause justified it.  To me, that's a very slippery slope because everyone has a different opinion on what is a just cause and what ends justify what means.  Maybe you think that fighting homophobia justifies a harassment and impersonation campaign, maybe someone else thinks bullying of any kind justifies murder, a commonly expressed opinion on Aspie sites.  Who's to say which is more wrong, since we're just talking about different points on the same moral relativity scale here.

Remember the lynchmob from when that girl killed herself after her neighbor strung her along on facebook?  Imagine that something like that happened here and Joe Public was suddenly looking at this whole sordid little mess.  Can you imagine what the reaction would be like?  Especially at the Aspie on Aspie aspect?  I mean half the world already seems to think we're just assholes with an excuse while the other thinks we're either dangerous or like Rainman, I don't even want to think about the backlash on something like that.

I'm just saying to look at it from an outside perspective and how the whole thing looks, which IMHO is pretty damn ugly.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 07:13:25 AM »

Well I certainly hope so, she was probably my least favorite WP mod, though QM could certainly give her a run for the money.  I'm trying to think who I talked to about avatar complaints, I think it was Sins but it was in public and not through PM, and I pointed out that nothing in the TOS barred pictures of me with a gun and other people had had them before me without problems.  Later, I was on decent terms with DW and Maku, and they helped keep QM and Lau off my back about BS like my avatar.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 07:22:20 AM »
So disagree with you = threats of being shot. Typical Libertardian. :zoinks:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 07:22:37 AM »
When I was making the profiles, you where one of the people who convinced me I had gone too far. You were right, and I had respect for you.

Now you are still going on about it, and you appear butthurt and whiney.

Ive chosen not to be mean to VDthis time. If others choose to be mean, then that is their choice.

Last time, your white knight act may have had some justification. Now its way more pathetic than the worst trolling.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
So disagree with you = threats of being shot. Typical Libertardian. :zoinks:

Typical internet tough guy in other words. :zoinks:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 08:15:40 AM »

Well I certainly hope so, she was probably my least favorite WP mod, though QM could certainly give her a run for the money.  I'm trying to think who I talked to about avatar complaints, I think it was Sins but it was in public and not through PM, and I pointed out that nothing in the TOS barred pictures of me with a gun and other people had had them before me without problems.  Later, I was on decent terms with DW and Maku, and they helped keep QM and Lau off my back about BS like my avatar.

Gun pointing avatars were supposedly against the rules because they were possibly threatening/intimidating/unnerving to other members.

So you pretty much waved your loaded pistol around in sin's face in order to keep it? ???

eris

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
who the fuck cares if he is an aspie ? Wasnt that chick in NASA that drive halfway across the county in a fucking diaper to kill her boyfirends chick an aspie too ?

I dont give a fuck if someone has autism or not. IF they deserve it, they deserve it.

And pick a side, k ? I mean should we NOT troll him or troll him BETTER.

eris

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »

First, the target is another Aspie with classic AS issues

hmmm

The only people I ever really went after on WP had their names in green,

hypocrite

midlifeaspie

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »
Really guys, watching this parakeet drama from both sides of it has been pretty sad.  I mean maybe he thinks this place is full of devious master trolls cunningly plotting his downfall, but all I'm seeing is the cruelty without the funny or the clever that is the mark of quality trolling.

First, the target is another Aspie with classic AS issues like paranoia, a reliance on authority figures for problem solving, naivety, etc, and strong religious views to boot.  Anyone could troll a guy like that, that's just clubbing a baby seal.  Where's the challenge? 
The only people I ever really went after on WP had their names in green, and they had to seriously bend their own rules to ban me, and only after months of me in their faces.  Getting the ban reversed was the final slap in the face to them, and far more satisfying than just making some guy mad because it's easy.

Secondly, the "trolling" itself has been just sub-par.  Gay jokes?  Fat jokes? Imposter profiles on third party sites?  Really?  I think not having to worry about mods and rules has made people lazy.  If I want to fuck with someone on WP, I can call them a jerk, a moron an asshole and a loser without ever using those words and still have the message get through loud and clear, it just takes a bit more thought and deviousness.  Anyone can make a dummy account and get in a few personal shots before the mods there delete them, doing it in such a way that no rules are technically broken and there is no pretext for action takes much more skill.  I know there are people here who can do it, but I'm just not seeing it here. 

Finally, the justification.  Like I mentioned before, it looks an awful lot like people are bullying an Aspie for reacting like an Aspie to being taunted, not cool in my book.  If it really was all about the lulz a la 4chan, there wouldn't be the self righteous justifications, either own the behavior or don't do it, don't wuss out by making it about "avenging" homophobia or some bullshit about threats. 
Now that he's come in here of his own volition, that's sort of accepting whatever comes his way here, but what went on earlier in the year with the fake profiles and such was seriously fucked.  Schoolyard bullshit, and without even the risk of an asskicking that being a dick to someone in person carries.  I expected better.

Hmm, perhaps this should have gone in callouts...

We can't all be as spectacular as you.  It's depressing, but I have come to grips with it through counseling and medication.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
The fact you're taking me too seriously shows you fail at understanding trolls. I couldn't care less about the issue, I only saw an opportunity to be an asshole and took it.

Oh, believe me, I understand trolling very well.  Emotion is like blood in the water to me, I see emotion coming off of a post and I just zero in on it.  The difference is that I don't place so much value in assholery for it's own sake that I devote huge amounts of time and effort to it or go out of my way to be one.  I'm a tit-for-tat sort of guy, and I prefer to let people make assholes of themselves rather than the other way around.  Think of it like rope-a-dope, why put the effort into smacking a guy around who will do it to himself given enough rope? 

I'm only reacting to you seriously because as a WP regular I've seen the effect on 'keet firsthand, and it hasn't been pretty.  I think he's actually an ok guy with many of the usual AS issues, religion aside,, and honestly it made me angry to see him being hurt like that.  It may have been good fun for some people, but there were real consequences to it and I think that should be taken seriously.  The guy has literally been jumping at shadows for months now and driving the mods crazy, so clearly he's been damaged by your "fun".  Forgive me if I find bullying distasteful, especially when it's Aspie on Aspie.

You are fucking hilarious.  As an Aspie you take offense to Aspies being mean to Aspies because your empathy for the guy is just so strong.  If you want to defend the guy because you have a thing for him, just say so.  You don't need to hide it behind several layers of bullshit excuses, it takes all kinds and we are the last group to give you shit for your sexual preferences, though you might get a little for your taste in men.