Educational

Author Topic: siblings  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: siblings
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
:laugh: It's not true. You really are the centre of the universe.
  Then the universe is really in some deep shit. :LOL:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
:laugh: It's not true. You really are the centre of the universe.
  Then the universe is really in some deep shit. :LOL:

Well, yes. It went downhill from the Big Bang. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 01:58:08 AM »
It seems that it is the personality of your siblings that is important.  Not merely their presence.  They could
be really helpful or really fuck you up.  Interesting.  You know when people say things like 'you are just like
your brother/sister'  they usually mean physical characteristics.  How likely is it that we are more like our
siblings in personality?   It seems we are not.    So what shapes our personality?  Is it not genetics?   Is it just nurture in the 'nature versus nurture debate'?

Apologies.  Just thinking.  Been told plenty of times it is not something i do too well. Lol.  I just
cant help but wonder about these things.
blah blah blah

Scrapheap

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 02:12:13 AM »
I've 2 older brothers, both have pissed me off to no end. Always very condescending and disapproving. Even if I got a Noble prize, they'd still treat me like I'm 8 years old. The weird thing is though that I seem to have more sense than them two. They're the ones with criminal records. :laugh:

It's even more unsettling that they've made out I'm more of a retard than I am to others to taint any hope of me being socially accepted. This caused living in Carrickmacross (where I was until 2-3 years ago) to be much more difficult especially in later years. Even worse is that it's a small town, there's only one main street and you have to walk past these people all the time and put up being ridiculed.

I gave up trying to please them long ago, got the fuck out of that shithole of a town and now I'm much happier.

That's how my older siblings are to me.

My oldest brother is a 47 year old assistiant manager at McDonalds and he thinks he's a god of the food industry.  :facepalm2:

My sister keeps marying total losers who control and dominate her, and she thinks she's the best judge of character on earth.  :facepalm2:

I have 5 NHRA World Championship Rings and I've built stuff that is in orbit around the earth, and on other planets. In their eyes, I'm the retard of the family.  ::)  ::)  ::)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:17:49 AM by Scraphawk »

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 06:47:19 AM »
@Bod. I agree about personality. My big sister is only a couple of years older than me. She could have been great for me, but she was a bitch to me, and one of lifes failures. I got bullied at school, and she would be friendly with my bullies, and continue picking on me at home. Now she wonders why I let her live in poverty, and wont do a thing to stop it.

And I think circumstances of the child have a big impact on how much theu need siblings. If the child is lonely, and doesnt have many friends,  then a siblong could makr a huge difference. I was lucky and met mu best friend before I started school. Since then, Ive been able to make her friends into my friends.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
Just wondering about the influence of siblings when raising a child?  Does it make any difference if
that child is on the spectrum?  If so,  would brothers and sisters be an advantage or a disadvantage?

I been reading about different groups in society and the idea that autistic kids are better off  in large
families.   Not sure what i make of it,  but most of you know i am raising an only child on the spectrum
and just wondered what you  think.         

I have two brothers, my husband has two sisters, and we are raising an only.

She would like to have a sibling, but I don't think that's likely to happen.

There are pluses and minuses of both, IMO.

She gets more attention than she would if she were one of several children.  I'm working on her Halloween costume right now.  She wants to be "Lloyd in Space."

I doubt that I would have time to do this for ten children.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »
I have 5 NHRA World Championship Rings
That made me curious.

http://www.nhra.com/points/champs.aspx

It seems that nobody wins just one - kind of like potato chips  :LOL:
If cut and paste into an excel spreadsheet you will see that several people have three, even more have four and one guy has six and two guys have ten or more, but nobody has five.  Do they need to update their website?

I did find this site though:  http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/Catalog.asp?CID=268875&PFID=2005061014001413374&GID=22230

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
I have 5 NHRA World Championship Rings
That made me curious.

http://www.nhra.com/points/champs.aspx

It seems that nobody wins just one - kind of like potato chips  :LOL:
If cut and paste into an excel spreadsheet you will see that several people have three, even more have four and one guy has six and two guys have ten or more, but nobody has five.  Do they need to update their website?

I did find this site though:  http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/Catalog.asp?CID=268875&PFID=2005061014001413374&GID=22230

Scrapheap worked for John Force Racing for several years.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:39 PM »
That dood is a winner  :thumbup:

Scrapheap

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
Scrapheap worked for John Force Racing for several years.

That dood is a winner  :thumbup:

I also worked for the now defunct Foxen Canyon Motorsports.

We won 2 Top Fuel Championships, while I was there, with Gary Scelzi in the Winston Dragster. :hotrodder:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
Met with my sister today on my way back home. I wouldn't want to be without my siblings. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 02:56:35 AM »
Met with my sister today on my way back home. I wouldn't want to be without my siblings. :)

My sister died years  ago.  Miss her terribly but have two comedians as older brothers
which is some consolation.  They have pissed me off over the years but would never
want to be without them either.
blah blah blah

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
I have two sisters. One is exactly 6 years older than me and the other almost 1 year younger. Especially the older one was my point of reference when I was a young kiddo and she helped me a lot with social stuff and I learned a great deal from her by simply copying things she did when I was young. Um, in retrospective, she moving out of my parents house when I was 13/14 y/o made quite an impact on this fella back then. Shook my world and quite a bit shite happened in the following years. All her fault.

Nah, of course not (about it being her fault).. but looking back now I did lose a big stable anchor-point then and basically....

Mmmm, does this post have any point to make?

Well, for me goes I'm glad I had siblings when I grew up. Think still, those two understand me better than most other folks.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
As a parent, I tend to think that having siblings is a good thing. Helps the kid understand that no, s/he isn't necessarily the centre of the universe.
Good point. :agreed:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »

My sister died years  ago.  Miss her terribly but have two comedians as older brothers
which is some consolation.  They have pissed me off over the years but would never
want to be without them either.

Sorry about your sister, glad you have the brothers.  :hug:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"