Author Topic: Should Scrapheap buy a Yamaha XS 650??  (Read 3386 times)

Scrapheap

Should Scrapheap buy a Yamaha XS 650??
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »
I've been obsesing over bikes that need as little maintanence as possible and/or are easy to maintain on your own.

Lately I'm obsessing over the Yamaha XS 650 because it only has 2 carbs, and is easy to work on. Another benefit is that it is one of the few street bikes with a kick starter. So if your battery or starter dies, you can still get the bike started to escape the Zombies.

Anyways, here's one that I found for sale in Oakland (about a 5 hour drive from here).

If I go up to buy it, it would be real cool to see PPK up there. He hasn't been active lately, so is there somebody here who can contact him?? It would also be cool if PPK could look at it first for me before I drive 5 hours.

I used to have a Marine Corps buddy who lived in the Bay area, but he moved.  :'(

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2501138020.html

Frolic_Fun

Re: Should Scrapheap buy a Yamaha XS 650??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »
Get this instead, yamaha DX7:

:zoinks:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Or the Yamaha BD-S1065 is also nice:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
Lately I'm obsessing over the Yamaha XS 650 because it only has 2 carbs, and is easy to work on. Another benefit is that it is one of the few street bikes with a kick starter. So if your battery or starter dies, you can still get the bike started to escape the Zombies.

Awesome. :thumbup:

Seriously, you only go around once. It looks like it's in pretty nice shape too. 8)

eris

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »
 that seems cheap, and I like that it is green. go for it

even if it needs work, it is only 1000$. I dont know what such things cost, but that doesnt seem much.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
Yes and ride it often!

If it floats your boat - go for it!

Incidentally,  do people name their bikes like they do trucks?
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
Shouldn't it have a shaft drive?
blah blah blah

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:24 PM »
Welcome to MBS (multiple bike syndrome). It's a terrible affliction. :thumbup:

Yes, get it!

Offline Tommy Johnson

• Constant Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:32:45 PM »
I've been obsesing over bikes that need as little maintanence as possible and/or are easy to maintain on your own.

Anyways, here's one that I found for sale in Oakland (about a 5 hour drive from here).

If I go up to buy it, it would be real cool to see PPK up there. He hasn't been active lately, so is there somebody here who can contact him?? It would also be cool if PPK could look at it first for me before I drive 5 hours.

I used to have a Marine Corps buddy who lived in the Bay area, but he moved.  :'(

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2501138020.html
You should buy  the bike you took a picture of in Anaheim or as you know it as, Lil Vietnam. What are you, too pussy to go to Oakland by yourself?  For someone that talks as much shit as you do, Oakland should be no worry for you.

Scrapheap

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:44:03 AM »

Scrapheap

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:46:45 AM »
that seems cheap, and I like that it is green. go for it

even if it needs work, it is only 1000$. I dont know what such things cost, but that doesnt seem much.

I like the green color too.  :)

$1000 is as cheap as I've seen one that wasn't a total POS.

This one is fairly original too. Most people chop these up into Choppers, Bobbers and Cafe Bikes.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »
Shouldn't it have a shaft drive?

You voted for option 3, I take it.

Scrapheap

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »
Welcome to MBS (multiple bike syndrome). It's a terrible affliction. :thumbup:

Yes, get it!

Welcom back Diesel!!!  :2thumbsup:

Yes, and after this I want to get an older 5-600 cc Dual Sport with kick start.  8)

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
You should buy  the bike you took a picture of in Anaheim or as you know it as, Lil Vietnam.

Your research is very poor butcofe, I don't recall ever taking a pic of a bike in Anaheim, and that area isn't called Lil Vietnam, that area is in a different city in Orange County.

What are you, too pussy to go to Oakland by yourself?  For someone that talks as much shit as you do, Oakland should be no worry for you.

I've been to Oakland before. It's largely a nigger ghetto. I have no fear of going there, as it will be daytime. I wouldn't go there at night though.

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
I'm beginning to think this guy is jerking me around. He keeps insisting that there's no back fees at the DMV, but he wont give me a plate # or VIN # to confirm with the DMV that there's no back fees.

Oh, well, I found a simmilar XS 650 on ebay in Lancaster (that's about 2 hours less of a drive).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=320734226762&viewitem=&category=80650