Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201392 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #3270 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
Wondering where I would be best to start if I wanted to re-learn (slash learn) the high school math stuff I seem to have utterly lost.  I ended up with only about two years' worth of it (Algebra 1 and geometry), then had some college math course I barely passed (due at least as much to extenuating circumstances as actual comprehension), and have had no math other than in-major statistics since.  Did OK on the GREs when I took 'em, though.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3271 on: June 03, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
Wondering where I would be best to start if I wanted to re-learn (slash learn) the high school math stuff I seem to have utterly lost.  I ended up with only about two years' worth of it (Algebra 1 and geometry), then had some college math course I barely passed (due at least as much to extenuating circumstances as actual comprehension), and have had no math other than in-major statistics since.  Did OK on the GREs when I took 'em, though.

If it were me, I would review algebra first since it's the basis for much of the math that follows and you probably took the GREs a while ago.

What was the college math class called, if you remember?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3272 on: June 03, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

If it were me, I would review algebra first since it's the basis for much of the math that follows and you probably took the GREs a while ago.

Some kind of Math 101.  It focused largely on probability.  I could learn the same stuff as was being taught in that class by getting into tabletop gaming.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3273 on: June 03, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
I think it's disturbing when kids learn to manipulate the system young. Like discovering how many adults jump into a frenzy if you claim abuse. It doesn't mention how old the younger sister was. She could have been eight or fourteen. It also doesn't mention whether their mother encouraged her to call the police. If the police thought it was a case of domestic violence, wouldn't the courts have done more than slap the boy with a fine?

The District Courts in Sweden are amateurs and sometimes take on cases that are then ridiculed by news papers all the way to the higher instances that quickly throw them out. It's nowhere near a perfect system and it's made worse by the authorities' tendency to overprotect the citizens.
Curious:  How do you think the court system in Sweden compares to what we have in the US?  I'm of the opinion that we're pretty well fucked through and through over here, but I know it could be a lot worse.

I think your court system is fucked up in a different way from Sweden's. There's no way Swedes can sue people for the kind of money that seems to be the norm over there, so I'd say the focus is different. Sweden's court system reflects the Swedes in many way, OTOH, so there is a big brother mentality you don't seem to have.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #3274 on: June 04, 2012, 03:06:17 AM »
This song was an excellent theme for True Romance.

I really like how in the final shootout director Lee Silverstein (played by Saul Rubinek) goes apeshit on the snitch precipitating a massacre. And then the happy ending with Clarence and Alabama on the beach with their son Elvis.  :thumbup:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3275 on: June 04, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »

Some kind of Math 101.  It focused largely on probability.  I could learn the same stuff as was being taught in that class by getting into tabletop gaming.

I was using this today, to help with playing this.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #3276 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »

If someone attacks you on the street, I assume you will settle things without involving an overburdened court system unless you actually lose function of some part of your body in the process?

That's a ridiculous straw man and you know it :)

Offline PuppetSockPenguin

• Superlurker of the penguin elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • experience is memory is experience is
« Reply #3277 on: June 04, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
I can't believe my local supermarket doesn't carry duct tape anymore!  :dunno:

Just use a ball gag. Or shove a sock in their mouth.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3278 on: June 04, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
I can't believe my local supermarket doesn't carry duct tape anymore!  :dunno:

Just use a ball gag. Or shove a sock in their mouth.
:lol1:
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3279 on: June 04, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »

If someone attacks you on the street, I assume you will settle things without involving an overburdened court system unless you actually lose function of some part of your body in the process?

How is it ridiculous? Why are you imposing a different set of rules on children than adults? Parents, IMHO, form an even more arbitrary local justice system than Swedish District Courts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #3280 on: June 04, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »

How is it ridiculous? Why are you imposing a different set of rules on children than adults? Parents, IMHO, form an even more arbitrary local justice system than Swedish District Courts.

Because they are children.  How can you presume to hold children to the same standard as adults in this matter but not all others?  Do you agree with a minimum drinking age?  A minimum driving age?  How about a minimum age for being a surgeon or an airline pilot?

I don't know anything about Swedish Courts, but if you think they are equipped to handle parenting for the country's citizens they must be a far sight better than US courts.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3281 on: June 04, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »
Why are people honking their horn down the street?  I wish they would stop it's annoying
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3282 on: June 04, 2012, 11:28:36 PM »

Because they are children.  How can you presume to hold children to the same standard as adults in this matter but not all others?  Do you agree with a minimum drinking age?  A minimum driving age?  How about a minimum age for being a surgeon or an airline pilot?

How's that for a strawman? But here's a question for you: who enforces those minimum ages? The parents?

I don't know anything about Swedish Courts, but if you think they are equipped to handle parenting for the country's citizens they must be a far sight better than US courts.

No, I don't. I think they are ill equipped for most types of justice. But that's not the point. The point is the principle that every person should have the same protection, regardless of age.

- Albert Einstein

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3283 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:25 AM »
I'm thinking it's not even 5am and I really should be sleeping but I woke up at 3:30am and have been wide awake ever since. It would be really helpful if my kitty wouldn't start meowing mournfully in the middle of the night, in front of whatever bedroom door of the child who is missing from their beds because they're at their Dad's. She doesn't like it when they're not home.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3284 on: June 05, 2012, 03:01:23 AM »
At night, cats can be plain evil.  :kitten:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!