Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201385 times)

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #14505 on: April 20, 2023, 09:18:31 PM »
Are you running Windows (Ver?)?
It used to, back in the WinXP days, but I have not used Windows audio software in about twenty years. WMC used to recognize this and ask if you wanted to open a new audio file and begin recording.

You will need a "Record" function available from somewhere. You are asking your machine to "READ" from an analog source and convert it to a digital output.
Not sure if that is still a part of Windows. Older "Windows Media Center" had that available.

I think for best results, you will need a third party software application or you might need to upgrade your Windows Media install.

I have used Audacity (freeware) for many years for simple things like this.

I do almost the same thing using the output from my phono preamp straight into my sound card L&R inputs, completely different cabling, but the same exact process. I have to open a NEW FILE and tell Audacity where to find my connections, name the file and in seconds I am recording an analog LP into a FLAC digital or you can choose among many file types to create the type of file you need.

Here is a link to the software I use. Don't be put off by how damn much it CAN DO. It is very simple to operate if you just want to capture from one device to another, normally.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

BTW, I just opened my Windows Media Player preinstalled on my Windows 10 computer (probably for the first time) and there is no record function that I can find. Sorry.
You might need some third party software from somehwere if Windows Update does not offer an advanced media plugin for this use.

Hiya DirtDawg. :) Thank you for the well-thought out response. I am running Windows 11 Home. Are you saying that using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable; one end plugged into the microphone/headphone port of the laptop, the other end into the headphone port of the cassette player - will have the same effect as what you describe as output from your phono preamp straight into your sound card L&R inputs? I remember using Audacity years ago, probably in the XP days. I assume it's changed much since then.
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14506 on: April 20, 2023, 09:25:06 PM »
Does anyone remember IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and mIRC? I remember mIRC had a command where you could "slap someone around a bit with a wet trout" or something. Others used to replace it with "wet noodle" instead.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14507 on: April 20, 2023, 10:43:30 PM »
Are you running Windows (Ver?)?
It used to, back in the WinXP days, but I have not used Windows audio software in about twenty years. WMC used to recognize this and ask if you wanted to open a new audio file and begin recording.

You will need a "Record" function available from somewhere. You are asking your machine to "READ" from an analog source and convert it to a digital output.
Not sure if that is still a part of Windows. Older "Windows Media Center" had that available.

I think for best results, you will need a third party software application or you might need to upgrade your Windows Media install.

I have used Audacity (freeware) for many years for simple things like this.

I do almost the same thing using the output from my phono preamp straight into my sound card L&R inputs, completely different cabling, but the same exact process. I have to open a NEW FILE and tell Audacity where to find my connections, name the file and in seconds I am recording an analog LP into a FLAC digital or you can choose among many file types to create the type of file you need.

Here is a link to the software I use. Don't be put off by how damn much it CAN DO. It is very simple to operate if you just want to capture from one device to another, normally.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

BTW, I just opened my Windows Media Player preinstalled on my Windows 10 computer (probably for the first time) and there is no record function that I can find. Sorry.
You might need some third party software from somehwere if Windows Update does not offer an advanced media plugin for this use.

Hiya DirtDawg. :) Thank you for the well-thought out response. I am running Windows 11 Home. Are you saying that using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable; one end plugged into the microphone/headphone port of the laptop, the other end into the headphone port of the cassette player - will have the same effect as what you describe as output from your phono preamp straight into your sound card L&R inputs? I remember using Audacity years ago, probably in the XP days. I assume it's changed much since then.

Yeah, the cabling and hook up is different but the conversion process is the same. Don't focus on the cable much, as long as it works.

The obstacle you will have to overcome is the conversion process from an analog source (your old cassette player) to a digital file that a computer can use.

After a quick search I found a FAQ page with a couple of references to a Sound Recorder app for use in doing exactly what you might need; capturing from a microphone (or your cassette player) to store a digital file.

I did not search Windows Update for that app, because I do not want them to update me, right now.
:hide:

Since you are already using Win11, maybe Windows Update can help you if you don't want to install Audacity.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14508 on: April 21, 2023, 03:48:33 AM »
Ok, I'll write renovations details here:

Laundry sink replacement, bathroom vanity replacement and kitchen cupboards replacement all next Thursday, 27-4-23.

Tiling splashbacks all next Friday, 28-4-23.

Internal painting Tuesday, 6-06-23. May take 3 days to complete.

Vinyl tile flooring Thursday, 8-06-23. May take 3 days to complete.

I'm not looking forward to June.

Holy crap! What a nighmare. Paint and vinyl flooring mastics are horrible to smell. June will be ugly.
It will be awesome once it's all finished, though.
 :thumbup:
I'm concerned about the cats when it comes to the smell of paint and floor chemicals. I don't mind those smells. We'll be swapping the cats from bedroom to bedroom to hopefully keep them comfortable and not too scared with all the noise.

I can't wait for a new kitchen.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14509 on: April 21, 2023, 06:54:15 AM »
Great job keeping your furry friends in mind. They will suffer more than you know with thier abode being invaded by strangers, making noise.

My "late" kitty was terrified from just having a washer and dryer delivered. When they did the roof a couple of years before, it was two days of noisy terror for her.
Poor baby! She stayed very close to me.
 :lol1:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #14510 on: April 21, 2023, 02:10:13 PM »
  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14511 on: April 22, 2023, 03:20:51 PM »
If I connect something like this to the headphone socket of an old cassette player, and plug the other end into the audio/microphone (Mine is 2 in 1) socket in my laptop, will the audio transfer using proper software? Or can't it work? I'm guessing the way a microphone works is different to just audio in. My laptop hardly has any hardware ports of any kind, like a lot of laptops these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTo3MDcxMDkxNjY0MTE4MjM5OjE2ODE4MTY4OTc6c3BfZGV0YWlsOjIwMTExODE1NjgwODk4Ojo6Og&url=%2Fdp%2FB01I0SI1SG%2Fref%3Dsspa_dk_detail_1%3Fpsc%3D1%26pd_rd_i%3DB01I0SI1SG%26pd_rd_w%3Dw4rK0%26content-id%3Damzn1.sym.15c0cc83-c6c5-4d44-aa3d-0de17a9f3682%26pf_rd_p%3D15c0cc83-c6c5-4d44-aa3d-0de17a9f3682%26pf_rd_r%3DD3E69P73VV6893FJNE57%26pd_rd_wg%3DzZoEr%26pd_rd_r%3Da83954bc-cf49-4e46-85d8-c3a415e8fc53%26s%3Delectronics%26sp_csd%3Dd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw%26smid%3DA1ZHJPE51NHH2L

DD's right. It's about the software. That cable should do what you want. Audacity is brilliant. Like DD says, it can do a lot, but it's not difficult to use.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14512 on: April 22, 2023, 03:22:22 PM »
Does anyone remember IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and mIRC? I remember mIRC had a command where you could "slap someone around a bit with a wet trout" or something. Others used to replace it with "wet noodle" instead.

I do remember IRC but not that particular command.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14513 on: April 22, 2023, 03:23:02 PM »
Thinking about old pre-internet communication now.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14514 on: April 22, 2023, 03:31:16 PM »
If I connect something like this to the headphone socket of an old cassette player, and plug the other end into the audio/microphone (Mine is 2 in 1) socket in my laptop, will the audio transfer using proper software? Or can't it work? I'm guessing the way a microphone works is different to just audio in. My laptop hardly has any hardware ports of any kind, like a lot of laptops these days.

DD's right. It's about the software. That cable should do what you want. Audacity is brilliant. Like DD says, it can do a lot, but it's not difficult to use.

DD and odeon: I was impatient and ended up buying https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08F5FB9QX before I read the responses. It works well, even if I only needed to pay way less for a cable. I dunno, maybe I can use it as a walkman. Thanks guys, all the same. :)

Cassette tapes were terrible quality.

I do remember IRC but not that particular command.

I started using it, I think in 1998. I realise IRC was around for way longer than that, though. I remember my Swedish friends had DSL already, and my family had a 56k win modem.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 03:32:57 PM by Fun With Matches »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14515 on: April 22, 2023, 03:36:12 PM »

I had penpals at my school. I think I had 3. Never got into chain letters though. I guess I broke the chains.

IMO, people had more fun before social media like Facebook.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14516 on: April 22, 2023, 03:37:52 PM »
Cassette tapes usually are terrible quality. I have a few that are about as good as they get, but I'm not sure I still have the equipment required.

A Walkman would have terrible s/n ratio, and the curve is nowhere near flat. You'll get your audio across but it's not going to be brilliant.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14517 on: April 22, 2023, 03:39:20 PM »

I had penpals at my school. I think I had 3. Never got into chain letters though. I guess I broke the chains.

I posted on the Usenet before there was an internet. It was fun but the trolls were everywhere and it got worse when the bandwidth increased.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14518 on: April 22, 2023, 03:40:28 PM »

I posted on the Usenet before there was an internet. It was fun but the trolls were everywhere and it got worse when the bandwidth increased.

How did trolling work back then? Were there types?

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14519 on: April 22, 2023, 03:42:10 PM »
Cassette tapes usually are terrible quality. I have a few that are about as good as they get, but I'm not sure I still have the equipment required.

A Walkman would have terrible s/n ratio, and the curve is nowhere near flat. You'll get your audio across but it's not going to be brilliant.

Hmm. The other option is a Panasonic (They always used to be excellent as well as Sony) Powerblaster with the cable linked between that and my laptop. Would that be a lot better?