Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 202737 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12090 on: September 16, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »
^ i'll let you know once i figure out what a LIFE-ist is
basically, i was thinking of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, and assuming that the ham is more massive than the hand  :green:
...and ofc, then there's also karma, which would probably work to much the same effect  :green:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12091 on: September 17, 2019, 10:13:01 AM »
Hoping my dinner will arrive soon.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12092 on: September 19, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
^ i'll let you know once i figure out what a LIFE-ist is
basically, i was thinking of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, and assuming that the ham is more massive than the hand  :green:
...and ofc, then there's also karma, which would probably work to much the same effect  :green:

Have you not noticed the divisiveness in "everything" these days.  Maybe you are insulated from some of it. BUT on this side of the pond, it seems that everyone falls into some kind of    ---ist description and whatever you say identifies you as having subscribed to this or that   --- ism?

This crap is some of the most absurd"ist"   attempts to divide people (making sure that the majority of the "center----ists"  can not possibly unify and create a political voting majority) I have see in recent years.

That is serious shit, but I was making a joke calling you a life-ist. As far as I know there is no such thing, yet.

:2thumbsup:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:30:17 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12093 on: September 19, 2019, 07:56:47 PM »
yeah, i've certainly noticed the ists springing up all over the place. Thought i knew what an ist was until they threw "Islamist" into the mix. This turned out to mean pretty much the polar opposite of what I thought it meant, applying what appeared to be the usual rule. So now, I just dunno. Whenever a new ist springs up, these days,  i wait and see which extreme other people  think they're at. That is, I'm now going by the rule that the majority must be right, even when they're wrong, especially where the English language is concerned.

So does a Lifeist want to disinfect the world of pigs, humans , daisies , foetuses , bacteria, strawberries , seaweed,  everything organic?...or is it one of  those rabidly  anti-abortion people  perhaps? Seeing as you just invented the word, i guess neither of us knows. We'll just have to wait for the word to take off, then watch where it lands. Come to think of it, neither of those two  descriptions applies to me, so I'm probably safe saying "No, I'm not". But I'm suerly not ready to face the Inquision on that one   :lol1:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:14:32 PM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12094 on: September 20, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
I'm an intensityist.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12095 on: September 20, 2019, 10:19:02 PM »

Claiming a label can produce unforeseen consequences. Be aware of this.
 :zombiefuck:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12096 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
I mentioned how I have reclaimed my garage work space from all the crap I tend to "hoard" over time.

One thing I found troubles me a bit.
I discovered an entire gym bag, completely full of old film, 35mm rolls by the dozens, along with maybe a hundred rolls of 120 and 220 color and black and white, even some slide film in the mess.
I had intended to donate the film to a local school, but I suppose I forgot, back in about '03 or '04.

Anyway, this shit is quite toxic if just dumped into a garbage collection bin. I have decided that it is probably of no use to anyone, these days. I will need to drop it off at our local toxic compound disposal facility - the place that deals properly with old paint, dead electronics, prescription medications, pest treatments and poisons, household chemicals of all sorts, etc.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #12097 on: September 21, 2019, 12:28:11 AM »
I mentioned how I have reclaimed my garage work space from all the crap I tend to "hoard" over time.

I discovered an entire gym bag, completely full of old film, 35mm rolls by the dozens, along with maybe a hundred rolls of 120 and 220 color and black and white, even some slide film in the mess.
I had intended to donate the film to a local school, but I suppose I forgot, back in about '03 or '04.

Anyway, this shit is quite toxic if just dumped into a garbage collection bin. I have decided that it is probably of no use to anyone, these days. I will need to drop it off at our local toxic compound disposal facility - the place that deals properly with old paint, dead electronics, prescription medications, pest treatments and poisons, household chemicals of all sorts, etc.

I know people who still use film.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12098 on: September 21, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »

Not this film, hopefully. I would be one to use film as well. It is just that I have gotten so far away from my photography interests with all my other interests these days.
I literally was going to donate it when I retired. I had it all bundled up, ready to go, then I got busy and forgot about it. It has been stored in open heat of summer and very cold winters.
Some of the black and white film might do OK, but the delicate color film (especially the E-6 processed positive film) is not as stable under questionable conditions. It has been forgotten and neglected for fourteen years.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12099 on: September 21, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »

There is quite a demand for expired file on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Expired-Film-Lot-120-220/264379364454?hash=item3d8e3cf466:g:QxoAAOSwyuZdFWmT

I'd be honest about it... or maybe shoot a roll and try it out first.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12100 on: September 22, 2019, 01:20:45 AM »
Basically, that's the same stuff as the 270 rolls of 220 Kodak Portra (39 unopened bricks plus many other loose rolls), 46 rolls of 220 Fujichrome Velvia 100 (mostly in bricks), 89 rolls of 120 Kodak Portra, 93 rolls of Agfa 50 ISO B&W in 220 (all in bricks except 3 rolls), 68 rolls Ilford 400 ISO 120 all individual rolls, 473 rolls of various 35mm, 2 - 33meter long rolls of sealed Fujichrome 50 ISO in 35mm (the "load your own rolls" type and yes, a couple of dark loaders as well).

There are also five rolls of unperforated 70mm Kodak Portra 400 ISO in 100M cans that I can not seem to find a price on. And, yes, I still have a camera, to run that film, Camerz SLR with a 70-250 zoom, fixed but, movable 8ft, 12ft or 22ft focal length lens, for that film along with a spare film magazine. Can not sell it. No one even knows what it is or how to use it. I used them for years inside studio environments. They are NOT portable!

Few other film rolls as well, but I would have to get into the smaller quantities to describe many more.

Curiosity forced me to lay it all out and count everything to determine if donating it to gain a tax deduction might be worth pursuing.  Might be worth donating still.
Determining a value is the hardest part.

As I said, this whole thing is troubling to me.
Kind of like so many of my father's old musical instruments left behind; I just need to find someone local to give it all to.

Thanks for the link, but I am not interested in dealing with eBay anymore. Hard to believe what they are getting for this stuff on eBay. Those prices are way more than what I paid for brand new product.

You guys are making me want to get out my old Nikon F4 35mm  and  Mamiya RB67 120/220 cameras and play around again. Other than two large format cameras (Sinar P2 Expert and Graflex Speed Graphic, both in 4x5 format) those are the two film cameras I kept when I liquidated everything else.
Those two models represent innovative cameras that blew every other competitor off the map when they came out. Could not really let go of those.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:26:15 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12101 on: September 24, 2019, 12:36:53 AM »
^Makes me want to dig up my film gear and shoot a few rolls.

Many years ago, long before the advent of digital, when I still made short films on 16mm, I did one using two stocks of negative, both stored for a period of time. There was no consistency in anything - both had aged but very differently, in addition to the differing grain, and I couldn't afford anything beyond a rudimentary processing at the lab. Actual colour timing was way beyond my budget. I saved money by shooting with that negative but would have had to spend a lot more to fix the results.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12102 on: September 24, 2019, 09:01:19 AM »
Your experience follows along with most of my attempts at using film, especially color film, that has not been stored well.
Black and white film is far more forgiving of many abuses, but the color processes are all just too touchy to depend upon old film and clearly so if you expect to make a living taking photographs, questionable film stocks are just not worth the gamble.

In my studio I kept a refrigerator just for film. The freezer section was full of sealed cans of long roll film, which I would move to the cooler before I opened them. I went through an evening ritual everyday to judge my room temperature stocks and pull some film for the next few days, Every Day.

I miss the fun of doing photography, not the people and the stresses. Becoming a professional photographer seems like a great idea for someone with such interests, but that movement clouded,  drained away and eventually destroyed my "Hobby Interests" in the entire process.

I have to admit, though, I would not have the investments and ability to retire well without that "career"  being a large part of my life.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:04:55 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #12103 on: September 25, 2019, 09:40:38 AM »
I need to find a way out of this rut! Pain is so bad, I can hardly breathe. Makes it difficult to get up and do anyhing. Just laying here on an ice pack and hoping my pain meds and muscle relaxants will help at some point. Just frustrating. I used to be so active: hockey, baseball, basketball, skateboarding, surfing, biking, and so much more.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #12104 on: September 25, 2019, 12:25:01 PM »
Starting the impeachment procedure now, over this matter, is probably not going to 'help' the Democrats later on.

(I think.. watching the news.. hic et nunc)
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.