Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201378 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12030 on: July 13, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
I am friends with the unfriendable, love the unlovable,  and I don't follow anybody......

Great statement.

Actually, and I mean this in the most spiritually enlightened way possible: it sounds very close to Jesus, or even Buddha. Symbolically I mean...that is, what you were describing is a great way of being about the world.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12031 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:06 PM »
Next weekend's DIY job: getting some self-levelling compound for my downstairs concrete subfloor in preparation for the flooring I want.
But the area I need to do is right in the centre of the house with no alternative way to the front door, which means when I do it I will either have to stay stuck in one end of the house until the compound sets (can still access the bathroom, computer and bedroom, but what if I run out of food?!), or stay stuck outside until the compound sets. The faster setting it is the better it will be.
Heh, can you get out of the bathroom or bedroom windows in case you run out of food?

I admire your DIY attitude.
The bathroom and bedroom are on the second level, so no  :laugh:. Out the back there is a 6ft high brick fence so no going that way either.
I might do it so I get stuck outside, so that way I'm able to rush to Bunnings should I need emergency DIY supplies.
Bunnings? Well there's the sausage sizzle there. :zoinks:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12032 on: July 17, 2019, 01:08:08 AM »
Thinking a third cup of coffee will fix this.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12033 on: July 17, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »
I am friends with the unfriendable, love the unlovable,  and I don't follow anybody......

Great statement.

Actually, and I mean this in the most spiritually enlightened way possible: it sounds very close to Jesus, or even Buddha. Symbolically I mean...that is, what you were describing is a great way of being about the world.

Yeah that deserves quoting to the members best of.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12034 on: July 18, 2019, 01:34:08 AM »
Trying to wake up, so no deep thoughts yet. :yawn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12035 on: July 19, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »
To have hog bristle in full strength, half strength and quarter strength just isn't enough. I want it at 10 different strength levels between full strength and stark white.

I self-mixed it into 1/8 strength tonight and it just looks like a fresher version of antique white USA. Time to make 1/6th strength :nerdy:

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12036 on: July 26, 2019, 09:40:52 PM »
I have concluded the first temperature test with my vinyl plank flooring sample. I put it in the fridge to see how much it would shrink, and it did by 2mm.
Now to put it in the full sun all day to see how much it expands.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12037 on: July 26, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
I have concluded the first temperature test with my vinyl plank flooring sample. I put it in the fridge to see how much it would shrink, and it did by 2mm.
Now to put it in the full sun all day to see how much it expands.

I did vinyl plank. What a shit show.

Go over your subfloor with a microscope...put down an under layment/padding before you lay it if it's not already padded on the back. No matter how much that moron in the flooring section tells you that you don't need padding...

Every uneven spot you missed, every small furrow, nail heads/screws in the sub floor no matter how flush or countersunk and patched...4 months later and I could see them all. Mine has separated, cracked at a few of the joints, and it scratches so easy it's not even funny.

The only good part about it is that it's extremely easy to trim and cut and it's definitely waterproof.

Good luck.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12038 on: July 27, 2019, 06:43:32 AM »
^ Yeah I'm leaning towards rigid hybrid flooring at the moment (it's like a cross between laminate and vinyl).
I'm installing it on a cement subfloor which may or may not need levelling first. I haven't really gotten good advice yet, but there's a few factors at play.
The sample was some Heartridge flooring which is about 5mm thick. I just don't want gaps between the planks due to changes in temp all the time.
I'll have more samples coming this week from Armstrong and Karndean 8)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12039 on: July 27, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »
^ Yeah I'm leaning towards rigid hybrid flooring at the moment (it's like a cross between laminate and vinyl).
I'm installing it on a cement subfloor which may or may not need levelling first. I haven't really gotten good advice yet, but there's a few factors at play.
The sample was some Heartridge flooring which is about 5mm thick. I just don't want gaps between the planks due to changes in temp all the time.

Sounds like you have a better base to work with.  ;)

Mine is Shaw. When I replace it I'm going with rigid, I do miss carpet in some of the rooms (especially in the winter), but my allergies don't, and I rarely have an asthma flare up now. 

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #12040 on: July 27, 2019, 09:41:02 AM »
Can't wait to eat... yumm
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12041 on: July 27, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »

Sounds like you have a better base to work with.  ;)

Mine is Shaw. When I replace it I'm going with rigid, I do miss carpet in some of the rooms (especially in the winter), but my allergies don't, and I rarely have an asthma flare up now.

When we rebuilt the house PA turned the choices and oversight over to me.  I had large (18 inch?) tiles installed for the floor.  They keep the house very cool in the summer.  Winter isn't too much of a problem since I wear shoes year round now to help minimize falling.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12042 on: July 27, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
When we rebuilt the house PA turned the choices and oversight over to me.  I had large (18 inch?) tiles installed for the floor.  They keep the house very cool in the summer.  Winter isn't too much of a problem since I wear shoes year round now to help minimize falling.
Have the same thing. Not sure if the house is actually cooler but it does seem cooler, and much better on husband's allergies. House is really loud though.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12043 on: July 29, 2019, 01:35:50 AM »
I have textured vinyl downstairs in my house. It was done about 21 years ago, supposed to last 10 years but still going strong.

I installed a floating floor in my ex's apartment near DC. I had no idea what I was doing, just basically listened to someone at the hardware store and put down the soft underlay and cut the floorboards with a handsaw. Tore up the old carpet by myself. It looked really good. I much prefer it to tiles or carpet.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12044 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:15 AM »
Have the same thing. Not sure if the house is actually cooler but it does seem cooler, and much better on husband's allergies. House is really loud though.

We had that in one section of the old house. The guy SO hired grouted it and SO walked on countless times in the time it was supposed to set....so it crumbled right out. I spent 2 days removing the old grout and preparing the floor and 1 day re-grouting it...roped it off and told them they COULD NOT walk on it for 24 hours and figured I'd seal it and be good to go. Kid listened, SO just moved the rope. Ended up tearing the whole thing up, trashing it, and stapling down carpet.

I envisioned the same thing here, since we were already moved in at the time. Some things aren't worth repeating.