Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201386 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12000 on: July 01, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
Coming up on one of my LEAST favorite holidaze in the US.  Yep, July 4th, Independence Day, etc, etc, etc.  The usual patriotic BS being spouted by our politicians.  The great excuse for boozing and setting off fireworks at all hours of the day and night.  The poor animals, domestic and wild,  that get frightened out of their wits due to said fireworks.  The usual excuses to drink and drive and act like idiots.  The shopping frenzy that happens before EVERY holiday.  I'll be happy to stay home, read a book and listen to my music and stay off the roadways. 

My absolutely least favorite holiday......New Years.  But, that's another story.  I'll enjoy Canada Day today! 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12001 on: July 01, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »
So you celebrate the holiday of your neighbours but not your own? Bit odd. In Canada they have a good time too.

In Britain we don't have a national holiday. If we did, the intolerant would play up. Armed Forces Day is the nearest, and that's relatively recent. There are regional holidays like St George's Day but these are barely celebrated. The Union itself is controversial and bigots (pro and anti) and racists would start.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:39:06 AM by Tequila »

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12002 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
So you celebrate the holiday of your neighbours but not your own? Bit odd. In Canada they have a good time too.

In Britain we don't have a national holiday. If we did, the intolerant would play up. Armed Forces Day is the nearest, and that's relatively recent. There are regional holidays like St George's Day but these are barely celebrated. The Union itself is controversial and bigots (pro and anti) and racists would start.

I have strong Canadian Connections, and my ancestors came from there.  In fact, I have many relatives in southern Quebec, though we have long since drifted apart.  Oh. I'm sure they have a good time, but, it can't be as stupid about it as were are in the US.  And the bigots and intolerant come out here and there as well.   One of my FB friends, a member here, has posted on their page about a bigot politician mini-trumpolini who was elected in a high population province of Canada.  I'm keeping that vague to avoid doxxing them. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:04:44 AM by rock hound »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12003 on: July 01, 2019, 11:32:21 AM »
Coming up on one of my LEAST favorite holidaze in the US.  Yep, July 4th, Independence Day, etc, etc, etc.  The usual patriotic BS being spouted by our politicians.  The great excuse for boozing and setting off fireworks at all hours of the day and night.  The poor animals, domestic and wild,  that get frightened out of their wits due to said fireworks.  The usual excuses to drink and drive and act like idiots.  The shopping frenzy that happens before EVERY holiday.  I'll be happy to stay home, read a book and listen to my music and stay off the roadways. 

My absolutely least favorite holiday......New Years.  But, that's another story.  I'll enjoy Canada Day today!

Your post clarified something about July 4.  President Trump wants to finally corrupt/ruin the day by a great military display, with him as the crown jewel flanked by Lincoln and Jackson.  But the original July 4 was not about the military or battles.  It was the day most of the signers signed the declaration.  It is more of a philosophical holiday.  So I will spend some time on Thursday thinking about the ideas they presented to us.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12004 on: July 01, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »
I like the U.S. but I wouldn't celebrate Independence Day!

Unless you can actually call yourself a Canadian citizen, Canada would call you childish for celebrating something that isn't you because of hare-brained political reasons.

For everyone else St Patrick's Day is for the Irish and their diaspora. With everyone else they're giving them a celebration that isn't their own in order to rake it in. If you don't qualify for the passport it's not you.

As for Trump - he's fine. The civil service is really in charge, not Trump.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:55:47 PM by Tequila »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12005 on: July 01, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »
Your post clarified something about July 4.  President Trump wants to finally corrupt/ruin the day by a great military display, with him as the crown jewel flanked by Lincoln and Jackson.  But the original July 4 was not about the military or battles.  It was the day most of the signers signed the declaration.  It is more of a philosophical holiday.  So I will spend some time on Thursday thinking about the ideas they presented to us.

He's on a wind-up. Ignore him.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12006 on: July 01, 2019, 01:49:49 PM »
Doug Ford. I know.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:20:03 PM by Tequila »

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12007 on: July 01, 2019, 03:13:54 PM »
to hot to go outside

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12008 on: July 01, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »
Night time here.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12009 on: July 01, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »

Unless you can actually call yourself a Canadian citizen, Canada would call you childish for celebrating something that isn't you because of hare-brained political reasons.

Whatever.   ::)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12010 on: July 01, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »

Exactly!

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #12011 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:57 PM »

I like this view. I will join you in doing the same that day. I have a book called "Debating Democracy: Native American Legacy of Freedom". I will read some of this in July.

I like thoughtful ways to spend holidays.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12012 on: July 01, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »

That's not true. Canada is full of individuals who would have their own separate opinions on the subject.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12013 on: July 01, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »

That's not true. Canada is full of individuals who would have their own separate opinions on the subject.

Why not celebrate Australia Day then?

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12014 on: July 01, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »

Why not celebrate Australia Day then?

It's politically incorrect to celebrate Australia Day, even in Australia.

The progressives among us refer to that day as "Invasion Day".
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass