Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201378 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11820 on: March 19, 2019, 05:21:38 AM »
We're starting to follow the way of the Japanese and have a keep left policy on escalators. I noticed in the city that there were painted directions going onto escalators with arrows to the left. So people who just stand on escalators do so, while people who want to climb the escalator stairs do so on the right. Makes a lot of sense to me.
So, until this new policy came in, was there no unwritten/unspoken expectation that people in WA should stand to the left on escalators?
No, people would stand wherever they wanted. On the left, on the right, it didn't matter. When I went to Japan in 2002, I saw the wise way of escalator use.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11821 on: March 19, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »
If you stand anywhere but to the right in the UK, you'll have very upset Brits around you. Some could actually politely ask you to move.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #11822 on: March 19, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
I should get to bed.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11823 on: March 19, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
I can tell we're in desperate need of going food shopping because there was nothing to eat but ice cream for breakfast.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #11824 on: March 20, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
I can tell we're in desperate need of going food shopping because there was nothing to eat but ice cream for breakfast.

What an excellent breakfast!
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11825 on: March 20, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
We're starting to follow the way of the Japanese and have a keep left policy on escalators. I noticed in the city that there were painted directions going onto escalators with arrows to the left. So people who just stand on escalators do so, while people who want to climb the escalator stairs do so on the right. Makes a lot of sense to me.

It does make sense for two lane traffic in left driving countries, to keep to the left and pass on the right.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11826 on: March 20, 2019, 11:28:47 PM »
So, until this new policy came in, was there no unwritten/unspoken expectation that people in WA should stand to the left on escalators?
No, people would stand wherever they wanted. On the left, on the right, it didn't matter. When I went to Japan in 2002, I saw the wise way of escalator use.

I guess there are bigger differences between cities in Australia than I imagined.

It has been "stand to the left" as long as I can remember in Sydney. Especially on the long escalators to and from the underground railway stations. I ride those every day, everyone stands to the left.

When I got back to Sydney after nearly a decade living in South East Asia, it was a bit of a culture shock to get used to the idea (again) that escalators aren't just a ride. Most people actually walk on them.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11827 on: March 21, 2019, 02:46:34 AM »
I'm lazy and just ride escalators unless I'm in a hurry.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11828 on: March 21, 2019, 10:37:47 AM »

I guess there are bigger differences between cities in Australia than I imagined.

It has been "stand to the left" as long as I can remember in Sydney. Especially on the long escalators to and from the underground railway stations. I ride those every day, everyone stands to the left.

When I got back to Sydney after nearly a decade living in South East Asia, it was a bit of a culture shock to get used to the idea (again) that escalators aren't just a ride. Most people actually walk on them.

Manchester Airport has a walk on escalators.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11829 on: March 21, 2019, 12:06:34 PM »
Taking a walk during this warm up period!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11830 on: March 22, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »
Is there anybody, besides myself, that doesn't give a flying whoopee cushion about "march madness", the US college basketball tournament????
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11831 on: March 22, 2019, 07:23:11 PM »
Is there anybody, besides myself, that doesn't give a flying whoopee cushion about "march madness", the US college basketball tournament????

Me. I love college football but tree hockey puts me to sleep.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11832 on: March 22, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »

I have no idea what tree hockey is!

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11833 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »

It's what I call basketball. Tree hockey, get it??    :laugh:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11834 on: March 23, 2019, 08:42:01 AM »

It's what I call basketball. Tree hockey, get it??    :laugh:

AH, ok, I get it!