Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201399 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11205 on: September 25, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
Thinking of what to make for dinner tomorrow.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11206 on: September 25, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
What about potting them up and moving them somewhere like the kitchen windowsill DD? might give them some more time warmer and help ripen them?

I'm thinking better go grab the new smartphone I bought earlier and start setting it up. Noticed something that wasn't advertised when I was looking the phones over and deciding which to buy, a nice surprise, in that it came with a 4gb removable flash drive on a chip about the size of a fingernail and 1mm or so thick. Damn, got to admit, the number of transistors they can get on semiconductor chips these days is getting pretty impressive in terms of compactness.

I've had plenty USB flash drives that were smaller capacity than 4 gig and at least 4'' long by about 3/4'' wide. And the SD card in my digital camera is only 512mb or so.

Although of course, I'll look for even higher capacity super-micro flash chips, but given the tiny size of the things, that would be ideal media to keep scientific my reference library on a set of high capactity micro smartcards, as well as, encrypted of course, lab notebooks in digitized form, as a place to keep all the finalized writeups for procedures after they have been fine-tuned and tweaked  and the numbers all nicely tabled, rather than the paper notebooks I keep the notes that get taken in quick writing as I'm actually observing things, so I don't have to try and rely on mental notes later.

But for transfer to an archive, the size of the chips this phone takes, not sure what sizes they make them up to capacity-wise, but even with the 4 gig type like the one that came with the phone, probably bottom of the barrel capacity given its a throw-in, should think it could be feasible to get at least 1/4 terabyte in a homebuilt container  not much larger than a packet of chewing gum if they were stacked properly.

Not too happy with its being android based and integrated with google to ANY degree, I won't even use google to search from my laptop; because they are pack of noxious data-mining whoreborn ratmasturbators who seem to take it as a given that MY data is something they have a right to exist in the same space as. Fuck that. I'll be setting up a VPN as soon as possible, and making sure the phone never logs on to the house router network, and I sure as shit draws flies and personal privacy is about as tolerable to google as a garlic-saturated holy water enema is to a vampire. Turned off all the location settings, made sure that google apps can't request  to 'manage' my data usage, connections, phone calls or texts. The very thought makes my skin crawl.

I'll have to see if I can download a TOR port, and connect to it via a VPN, as the phone does support VPN usage.

Didn't pay for the phone in cash for no reason. Although at £65 odd inc. the 20 quid top up I bought to start it up with, etc.; it's definitely not a burner.
Thats not the kind of thing I'd even look for in a smart phone, for a burner I'd only want the capability to make and receive calls and texts, maybe access disposable webmail email accounts with a basic internet. A cheap ass camera/video, but then again these days you are probably hard pushed to find a genuine old brick phone. Wish I still had the handset I had when I was in my second spazz school, bought that secondhand for a tenner, and that didn't even have the capacity to connect to anything but phone lines for calls and texts. Although in a more modern size and weight, thats more or less what I need for a work phone. Something primitive that wouldn't even know what language g66gl6 speak in hell. The kind of dirt cheap ten quid piece of shit that if needs be can be smashed with  a brick and dumped in the nearest canal.

And facebook set to autostart? nix THAT for a start! lol one of the first things I did was turn that off and bar it from talking to anything.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11207 on: September 25, 2018, 11:34:58 PM »
What about potting them up and moving them somewhere like the kitchen windowsill DD? might give them some more time warmer and help ripen them?

Impossible. For one thing peppers do not work that way. If the roots are disturbed in any significant way, the plant will just drop all the fruit and start flowering again. Second problem is that these plants' root balls are over three feet in diameter and somewhat interlaced at this point.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11208 on: September 26, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »
I have such lousy soil in my yard (it's basically sand) that it is difficult to grow many things. While some things grow really well. We have a Rosemary plant that has turned into a huge bush, we have thyme growing really well, and some of the ornamental plants do really well.

Chillis grow well in our soil BUT we have bloody cockatoos and possums. Cockatoos absolutely love chillis, as soon as they start to turn red they are gone. And possums get into the apples and lemons. We have a big yard and I'd love to try to grow more fruit but with our hungry wildlife it seems like a waste of time.

We have a small Illawarra flame tree in our front yard, bloody cockatoos chewed off all the branches. It's supposed to look like this once it starts flowering:

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11209 on: September 26, 2018, 01:35:00 AM »

My soil is crap, too. Dig down about a foot and you get pure black, alkaline clay that can be used for pottery, etc. The trick is to break it up down deep and add tons of organic compost. The top four inches or so are kept alive and working due to a massive drop of leaves every fall.
All that organic matter, breaks up the clay, so it does not stick together, improving tilth and water retention, neutralizing PH, attracting beneficial soil bacteria and earthworms, all of which allows for deeper root penetration.

MY successes are due to the fact that I have been improving my garden soil every year for over twenty five years. If I take a year off, which I had to do when I had hip replacement surgery, I lose a lot of workability in the soil - IN JUST ONE year after many years of work.

Interestingly, the same practices also improve overly sandy soil.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11210 on: September 26, 2018, 01:42:48 AM »
We are two weeks away from our first "killing freeze" here in central Indiana.
More tolerable weather is likely, even after the first big freeze. One huge plus to my family is the hard freeze will kill all the above ground insect pests, like mosquitoes, gnats, paper wasps, scary bees, and flies. I think of it as time to have my fire pit going almost every night.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11211 on: September 26, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
Sad to say, that Ambers pet rat, Absyrian, aka "Floofen"....died today.  It's amazing how such small animals can trigger deep emotions.  She chose a one eyed, hairless male rat as her first ever true pet.  Leave it to Amber to side with the misfit of the litter, she loved him and cared for him very well.  Even I got attached to the little guy, giving him his favorite treats, like grapes, green beans and such.  And yes, I did my own share of crying.  He crossed the Rainbow Bridge well loved and had a good life.   :'(
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11212 on: September 26, 2018, 11:16:31 AM »
I need a few weeks off.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11213 on: September 26, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
Sad to say, that Ambers pet rat, Absyrian, aka "Floofen"....died today.  It's amazing how such small animals can trigger deep emotions.  She chose a one eyed, hairless male rat as her first ever true pet.  Leave it to Amber to side with the misfit of the litter, she loved him and cared for him very well.  Even I got attached to the little guy, giving him his favorite treats, like grapes, green beans and such.  And yes, I did my own share of crying.  He crossed the Rainbow Bridge well loved and had a good life.   :'(

I know you and I are cross ways most of the time and have been for years.

But this touches me. I feel for Amber and all the efforts the entire family put forth to support her AND him.

Reminds me of how I fell for my daughter's chihuahua. Early on my wife and I promised each other (OK not the same as our marriage vows, but ...), no damn chihuahuas! So our grown up teen, left on her own, sort of, came home with a fucking chihuahua. I fell for the little guy. He was well trained, did not pea everywhere and listened to what we told him. After a week or so I came to realize that Spanish was his first language. He was courageous and protective just like any other great dog would be.
He developed seizures and there was nothing the vet could do except to slow down the inevitable with meds, but he was terminal. I held him in his last moments and then held him for another hour, fighting back tears. Lost the fight. :'(

She needs another pet after a decent time. That will help the healing more than anything else.
You know this, so Godspeed to you and yours! 
Peace.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11214 on: September 26, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »
Hugs to you both.

I suspect Martha, our cat, is slowing down.  She's skin and bones, sleeps a lot (but then she's a cat), but shows no sign of illness (except for some thin spots of hair and a scabby nose).  Shae just jumped down from a 4 foot window sill to come inside, scurrying through the rain.  But she is 15.

P.S. she likes to sleep on my bed with her head on my hand which is holding her arm.  That is my excuse why I don't get much done around here.  I'm the cat's bed companion.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11215 on: September 26, 2018, 07:11:21 PM »
Hugs to you both.

I suspect Martha, our cat, is slowing down.  She's skin and bones, sleeps a lot (but then she's a cat), but shows no sign of illness (except for some thin spots of hair and a scabby nose).  Shae just jumped down from a 4 foot window sill to come inside, scurrying through the rain.  But she is 15.

P.S. she likes to sleep on my bed with her head on my hand which is holding her arm.  That is my excuse why I don't get much done around here.  I'm the cat's bed companion.

Rat's do the same.  And she nibbled my hand the days before her end.  Appetite declining, but still with some life.  Animals are better at knowing the end.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11216 on: September 26, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
The  cat sleeping arm in arm with you? awww  thats cute. Cat's tiny little paws are such adorable little things.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11217 on: September 27, 2018, 12:36:29 AM »

My cat comes up (almost) every night and nuzzles her way up under my chin in bed and head bumps my chin and purrs for about two hours.
She does this massively loving, cuddly thing at a time of HER choosing, but I really miss this when she is "too busy" to do so.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11218 on: September 28, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
Dogs are easier. You choose the time, they accept.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #11219 on: September 28, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
My cat like kneading me. He seems to sense when I’m depressed and need love. He’s the best.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.