Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201391 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11190 on: September 21, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »

I think someone should say something ...
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11191 on: September 21, 2018, 11:56:02 PM »
Wondering why the new member "why" hasn't logged in and posted.

Some people wait.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #11192 on: September 22, 2018, 05:03:32 AM »
Wondering why the new member "why" hasn't logged in and posted.

Some people wait.
Some also never log in. Have read here before of people sometimes not receiving their confirmation email. A admin could send them something to be certain their membership is acknowledged. Was thinking it's funny, the member with their names in quotes, the quotes are annoying, but would probably feel the need to always quote a username such as 'why'.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11193 on: September 22, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
I recall people who never got an email that gave the wrong address.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #11194 on: September 22, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »
Jack sent them a PM. Does a new account default to receiving email notices for PM messages, or is that a profile setting only selected after logging in?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11195 on: September 23, 2018, 01:14:54 AM »
I think it's default.

But if the registration email won't come through, then the PM notification one won't either. The sender is the same.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11196 on: September 23, 2018, 02:54:48 AM »
I had one of my glass-fritted Buchner funnels somehow separate into two pieces. It was clogged with a few hundred grams of paracetamol, which had been vac filtered as a slurry, put it in a bucket of water to soften up the chunk of paracetamol, When I came back a few days later,the damn thing had separated into two pieces, the column and the part with the frit and vac takeoff, just cleanly fell off, as if someone had made them as two separate pieces and stuck them together with kid's PVA glue!

Think I'm going to go at it, carefully with the brazing torch and fuse it back together again.

And more than a little nervous, I've found someone who's other half is a glassblower, and I'm seeing what I can do about getting a few expensive broken pieces of glass repaired cheaply, possibly even free.. Problem is one of the items is horribly gunked up, it's probably something akin to BBQ charcoal bricks by now, as it's been repeatedly assaulted with boiling chromic acid, but there is a remaining black layer on the inside of the 5ml pear-shaped microflask, (its a 5ml pear shaped flask with integrated vigreaux column and sidearm with a condenser) that just won't come off.

I think I'm going to have to resort to the last line of defense against the very worst stains. Piranha acid. It's a mixture of concentrated sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide, usually 3:1 sulfuric to peroxide, 30% peroxide. Dangerous stuff, very dangerous if there are traces of solvents or organics around, it can explode, showering brutally powerful oxidizing agent everywhere. Although there won't be anything organic in the microflask I need repairing, due to it having been subjected to saturation-bombing with chromic acid, which will rip the SHIT out of most anything. Piranha is more powerful still, piranha acid can even oxidize inorganic,, graphitic carbon to CO2, there is very little it won't destroy. WILL get the job done, but not nice stuff to make or use, and definitely never  something I'd store. Make what  I need on the spot, use it, and destroy the residues of peroxide.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11197 on: September 24, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
Gotta wonder about walmart.  Yesterday, an incident happened in the unloading zone, that I did not witness.  I only know what I heard second hand.  It was between the supervisor and a co-worker.  I was out in the store stocking the shelves.  Later I was in the back with the co-worker and we were talking.  He told me what happened as part of a conversation that involved gaming and an old fashioned country fair that takes place in Unity Maine, that Amber went to.  Once again, second hand information.  Later, the supervisor at the urging of a manager, came up to me and wanted me to go to the office and write down what the co-worker had said.  He also told me that we had been seen talking together.  :-\   Anywho......I replied that we were talking but, he really told me nothing that I could write down.  If I didn't witness it and all I had was a second hand account, that's hearsay.  And I am not going to write and sign any statement that I personally did not observe first hand.  To me that was an ethical dilemma.  But, this is walmart, ethics have no place here. 

As I have stated before, when put in the "Damned if I do and Damned if I don't"....I'll choose the easier damned!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:32:18 PM by rock hound »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11198 on: September 24, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
Gotta wonder about walmart.  Yesterday, an incident happened in the unloading zone, that I did not witness.  I only know what I heard second hand.  It was between the supervisor and a co-worker.  I was out in the store stocking the shelves.  Later I was in the back with the co-worker and we were talking.  He told me what happened as part of a conversation that involved gaming and an old fashioned country fair that takes place in Unity Maine, that Amber went to.  Once again, second hand information.  Later, the supervisor at the urging of a manager, came up to me and wanted me to go to the office and write down what the co-worker had said.  He also told me that we had been seen talking together.  :-\   Anywho......I replied that we were talking but, he really told me nothing that I could write down.  If I didn't witness it and all I had was a second hand account, that's hearsay.  And I am not going to write and sign any statement that I personally did not observe first hand.  To me that was an ethical dilemma.  But, this is walmart, ethics have no place here. 

As I have stated before, when put in the "Damned if I do and Damned if I don't"....I'll choose the easier damned!

Sounds like they have the guy lined up on the chopping block.

...it's so much easier on their soul to hang someone when you can get another employee to sign the papers for the hanging.

"It's not that I want to let you go buddy...old friend, it's just this signed statement about something you said...that you know is against our rules, so sadly I'm forced into this position."

Ugh, considered something part time at the one up the road, I keep getting asked...but it's drama like this that I really don't need.

Good luck rock hound.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11199 on: September 24, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »

...it's so much easier on their soul to hang someone when you can get another employee to sign the papers for the hanging.

"It's not that I want to let you go buddy...old friend, it's just this signed statement about something you said...that you know is against our rules, so sadly I'm forced into this position."

Ugh, considered something part time at the one up the road, I keep getting asked...but it's drama like this that I really don't need.

Good luck rock hound.

Thanks!   Fortunately, I am in a good position, I work only 24 hours a week, they like my work.   And at 63, I don't care any more.  This keeps me busy, adds a few bucks to family coffers and allows me the money to buy my books and such.   Walmart recently raised their base pay to $11 an hour.  Where all the other nearby retailers still only offer $9.  I stay out of the politics and it was very easy to dodge this one.  I told the co-worker about what happened and that I was not going to participate in any reporting on an incident I did not see or here.  He appreciated that.  And he did walk out only to come back when his temper cooled.  Anyway, we'll see what happens.  My conscience is clear and when I told Carla about it, she agreed that I chose the easier damned and did the right thing.  I hold conversations as confidential.  And this was told to me in confidence.  Old nursing habits/ethics die hard!    The interesting thing, is that the New Hampshire Liquor stores are paying $12,50 per hour for part time.  And since I am covered under Carla's Pharmacist walmart benefits...I'm good and yes lucky!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11200 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
Weather is getting too cool to support the rest of the fruit set on my plants.

Today's haul of sweet peppers. No dollar bill for perspective this time. It was about to rain on us. You already know that the long yellow green ones are the length of a dollar bill and those huge red ones are nearly the length of my forearm. Those various bell peppers are roughly the diameter of the palm of my hand.
Those big beautiful girls  like the big red one are a variety I have never grown before. They are called Giant Marconi, supposedly making an homage to their Italian heritage. They are very sweet.

Those, the long, super hot Thai I pictured before and a short fat Hungarian variety are three peppers I had never grown before this year.  All three were successful!
I plan to grow them next year as well.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:15:02 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11201 on: September 24, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »

This is one of the many reasons I call Wal*Mart, Satan's Five & Dime.

Personally, I would've lied to the manager to make their job of trying to set this guy up more difficult.

Hey, after this, why don't you go around and ask everyone if they want to Unionize to prevent a future incident like this one??  :zoinks:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11202 on: September 24, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »

This is one of the many reasons I call Wal*Mart, Satan's Five & Dime.

Personally, I would've lied to the manager to make their job of trying to set this guy up more difficult.

Hey, after this, why don't you go around and ask everyone if they want to Unionize to prevent a future incident like this one??  :zoinks:

I'm too old for that shit, but, fwiw..I agree with you!  And in a way I did lie, I was protecting confidentiality.  And I did make it more difficult..because I am NOT a corporate slave!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11203 on: September 24, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »

Good luck rock hound.

Fwiw, every walmart has their drama llama's and assholes.  Mine was supposed to be a good place to work...but, since I have been here, it's been 6 of one and a half dozen of the other!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11204 on: September 25, 2018, 06:05:26 AM »
My Tabasco plants are so loaded down with fruit, they do not stand up anymore.
After this pic I propped them up. They are already growing in the medium size tomato cages, but they have outgrown those. Just a very hot summer with plenty of rain and I am having a great year for both hot and sweet peppers.

I have not had enough Tabasco peppers to make "hot sauce" in many years. I am hoping to get a few more to turn that bright red orange color before I strip them.