Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201368 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11160 on: September 15, 2018, 01:30:45 AM »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11161 on: September 15, 2018, 01:32:38 AM »

Look at this carefully or you might miss half of it:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11162 on: September 15, 2018, 01:36:06 AM »
 :apondering:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11163 on: September 15, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
Day 790 Update (Sat, Sept 15):
Still Going Strong
Nick Tullier Strong

General condition:
To be clear, when it’s presently said that Nick is “home”, that means the apartment in Houston. More below at “In Closing”. Evaluations are through. Therapies continue this coming week at TIRR out-patient clinic. Still having blood pressure issues. This time, higher than normal. Discussing with doc. Suctioning of mucus from Nick’s lungs continues, though he’s much improved.

Abdominal area:
No problems.

Arms:
No problems.

Muscle Spasticity:
No problems.

Heel sore:
Watching this area closely.

In closing,
Nick’s back in the Houston apartment after being discharged from TIRR in-patient hospital Thursday. He’s still under the care of Dr. Kothari at TIRR even though now in out-patient therapies again. Moving back to Louisiana is a long way down the road. Until then, home for Nick and us is wherever is best for Nick. TBI (traumatic brain injury) patients can react to meds opposite of non-TBI patients. And some meds used for other issues can be used and beneficial to TBI patients. On top of being a TBI patient, Nick still has shrapnel in areas of his brain & brain stem. Takes a doctor with special knowledge in dealing with the in’s and out’s of Nick’s type of patient. Shame that type of doctor isn’t in every state and city. For now, the best place for Nick is Houston. That’s not going to change anytime soon.

He was shot July 17, 2016.  I would say he and every other seriously wounded LEO and soldier of every nationality deserve our thanks.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11164 on: September 15, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »
Thinking I should really get round to starting work on preparing some pure, highly concentrated fuming nitric acid.

I've been needing some copper (II) salts, for producing zero-valent copper nanoparticles, the nitrate itself probably isn't suitable, but from there I can make other cupric salts from the nitrate, going via oxides, hydroxides etc. and treatment with other acids, after roasting the nitrate with a blowtorch to decompose it (and ideally capturing the NOx gases, hopefully to make nitrite salts, and recycle what otherwise would be toxic waste gas)

Its just a bit of a pain, as I otherwise have no copper salts, I used the very last few hundred milligrams of the copper (II) chloride I possessed for a test of the reaction I have been looking into a little while ago, running it on just a 10mmol scale, (of substrate the reaction was being tested on, which works out to a bit over a gram, and using a bit over 200mg of the CuCl2), and copper metal is fairly unreactive, it doesn't dissolve in hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid that I know of, IIRC it will dissolve if electrolyzed in hot, concentrated sulfuric acid to give copper sulfate, but I tried and it seemed to form some sort of passivating layer on the electrodes very quickly that prevented all current from flowing, my decent power supply is busted, so I had to use a car battery charger, which just wasn't good enough.

None of the other acids I have to hand attack copper, that I know of, sulfamic acid might but I don't know, haven't tested it. But I DO know with absolute certainty that nitric acid attacks copper very aggressively and quickly dissolves it to yield Cu(NO3)2, cupric nitrate. This can be thermally decomposed to give some or other oxide of copper, I'd have to look up exactly which.

This can then be treated with strong hydrochloric acid to  afford me the CuCl2 that I badly need at the moment.  Tested it in-situ, using concentrated sulfuric acid (98-99% H2SO4) and sodium nitrate, on a small sample of copper metal, as fine copper dust, just to confirm it works. Although it left behind sodium sulfate or bisulfate (haven't checked which yet), which is an unwanted contaminant, that may have unpredictable effects on the formation of the nanoparticles, since nanotechnology can be highly dependent on the reaction conditions, solvents, rates of addition of a material, stirring/agitation, heat, all sorts of factors can alter the end result when working with nanotechnology based processes. So the sodium or sulfate cation and anion respectively, could well have negative effects, especially given the fact that copper (II) sulfate is reported to work for formation of the nanoparticulate copper metal but the yields when cupric sulfate is used instead of cupric chloride for that part of the reaction are lower than when CuCl2 is used.

So, I'm going to again, react concentrated sulfuric acid and sodium nitrate, but this time, rather than my tests where I simply mixed the two, and added copper powder in a 25ml beaker, I'll use a liter or so of 98-99% H2SO4 and an equimolar amount of NaNO3, and distill it to give pure, highly concentrated fuming nitric acid. And that'll give me loads of WFNA to work with, once I subject the product to vacuum to remove dissolved NOx gases if the result is red fuming nitric rather than white fuming nitric acid. Another acid, and a very useful strong oxidizing acid as well as nitrating agent, an ingredient for making aqua regia, for my lab stockroom, so its all ready for use, rather than my having to make up batches as I need HNO3, I can just keep a bottle of strong white fuming nitric on the shelves ready to grab and start dissolving metals, oxidizing things, nitrating stuff etc.

Saves mixing up acid and nitrate salts and distilling every time I want some damn HNO3)

The nitrate (copper (iI) nitrate that is, sodium nitrate is just a white powder) looks really nice too, has a lovely turquoise blue-slightly green hue when it is in it's hydrated form, although IIRC the anhydrous form is white. The hydrates are very pretty to look at, I'll post a picture in a moment of a solution of Cu(NO3)2 from my initial in-situ testing to ensure the HNO3 did indeed attack copper as desired. Was pretty sure but I didn't want to commit lots of resources until I knew for definite.

Soon as I've gone for a cigar, I'll upload the picture. Looks nice.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11165 on: September 15, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
The effect of HNO3 upon copper metal (the Cu was aded to the nitric acid in the form of fine, fine copper dust, not sure what the particle size is of my copper powder, but it is incredibly fine, at least as fine as icing sugar, feels even finer still, between the fingers, and if touched gets in between the grooves and peaks of fingerprints, its super-super fucking fine. Nitric acid would attack even large solid  bulk bits of copper, but using the fine powder, the HNO3 goes right through it like a hot knife through butter.

And here is the result. Hydrated copper (II) nitrate, Cu(NO3)2. The anhydrous salt is nothing special to look at, just white crystalline powder, but the hydrates have a lovely coloration. The  colour varies with the concentration, much more dilute concentrations look more green than blue (can post a pic of the greenish pale colouration of a much more dilute solution, I already have the pic, if anyone wants to see how it changes with concentration?)

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11166 on: September 15, 2018, 07:17:23 PM »
i really should get the plants I found into pots. 

i was putting some trash in the can outside the grocery last week when I saw some seedlings had been put in there because they were badly wilted.  i plucked them out and returned home.  Ended up with an Ichiban eggplant, a purple basil and 4 vinca/periwinkle plants.  They perked up beautifully when i soaked them.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11167 on: September 15, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
i really should get the plants I found into pots. 

i was putting some trash in the can outside the grocery last week when I saw some seedlings had been put in there because they were badly wilted.  i plucked them out and returned home.  Ended up with an Ichiban eggplant, a purple basil and 4 vinca/periwinkle plants.  They perked up beautifully when i soaked them.

Very nice! I do the same sometimes.
Grocery stores are a great place to find salvageable potting plants discarded in the garbage. Usually there is no one responsible for the upkeep and anyone who tries is a kid just doing the least amount of work possible to fill in a shift. Most would not know the difference between a starving and a dead plant.

A couple of years back I came across a dumpster half full of wilted two gallon mums in late October. I could only reach eight without climbing in, but all eight grew and were just fine. Often it is to our benefit to salvage these discarded plantings just to get the fancy nursery potting mix and forget whether the plants are salvageable.
Good luck with yours.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:45:04 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11168 on: September 16, 2018, 02:08:39 AM »
I need a few days off.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11169 on: September 16, 2018, 02:10:27 AM »
The index says page 404, but I can't find it. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11170 on: September 16, 2018, 07:44:36 AM »
Amazing the ammo you can go through in an hour just target practicing.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11171 on: September 16, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
Sounds like fun!!
 :2thumbsup:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11172 on: September 16, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
The index says page 404, but I can't find it. :P
:zombiefuck:

Oh, Wait!

:hahaha:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11173 on: September 16, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
Sounds like fun!!
 :2thumbsup:

It was.  :laugh:

SO can't do much yet since his back surgery so we've been going almost every evening. Just the .22's last night, need to buy a magazine for the little Romanian trainer my BIL just came across. 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11174 on: September 16, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »

A message I came across:

To all our friends and relatives in the Carolinas. Please be careful to use protection. We can not afford to got to twenty something baby showers next spring just because your electricity went out.

:popcorn: