Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201395 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11130 on: September 04, 2018, 12:24:50 AM »
Congrats. :)

As for the money, if you're happy with it, then accept it and move on.

The meeting was scheduled for 30 minutes but we were done in less than 5 minutes. Literally.

I was happy to come in at the market rate, they seem happy to pay me the market rate, all good.

I have been paid a lot more in the past. And a lot less.

Coming in too high often means you've got a massive target on your back whenever they decide to cut costs.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11131 on: September 04, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
Yeah, some moderation is probably good when negotiating. That said, I did something similar when I switched jobs, recently. They were way too happy to say yes. I don't mind all that much - I got the money I wanted.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11132 on: September 04, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »
Got  myself a job for the moment, ought to be worth a few hundred quid. AT LEAST. Might even make a few grand if I'm lucky the first time. Someone wanting ounces of  a certain product line that costs me very little to produce, but is usually stamped on to shit and back, as little as 10% or even 5% product, the rest rubbish. NOT my style. Quality can speak for itself after a free sample
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11133 on: September 05, 2018, 07:56:27 AM »

Interesting line from an old television show, the philosophical depth of which is rarely found in such genre:

"When YOU'RE a hammer, everything you SEE is a nail!"
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11134 on: September 05, 2018, 08:31:21 PM »
Obviously a fake picture, but Nike taking on Kaepernick as a "model" to hawk their shit?

We were talking about doubling down a day or so ago. This is an example. You could win big or lose big.
He also has his own line of athletic socks for the NFL player. Does wearing them make it easier to take a knee and impossible to Stand Tall and Proud?
 :heisenberg:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:35:15 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11135 on: September 05, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
Obviously a fake picture, but Nike taking on Kaepernick as a "model" to hawk their shit?

We were talking about doubling down a day or so ago. This is an example. You could win big or lose big.
He also has his own line of athletic socks for the NFL player. Does wearing them make it easier to take a knee and impossible to Stand Tall and Proud?
 :heisenberg:

They have a saying for this now: : "Get woke, go broke"

Some people are reporting that this move has already cost Nike $4B dollars.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11136 on: September 05, 2018, 09:10:07 PM »
I used to watch for ammo sales at Dick's and found decent buys on loss leaders, sometimes.

I have not even looked for a long time, until just now. People around here have dropped Dick's altogether. I know that sounds weird.

Remington 22LR Bucket O' Bullets Rifle Ammo – 1400 Rounds
★★★★★
★★★★★ 4.2 out of 5 stars. Read reviews. 
 (50)
NOW: $69.98 (30% off!)

These are OK. Some make fun of bulk rimfire, but I have NEVER had a MF, FTL or any other failure using Remington.
I will not be ordering this, since I already have over one hundred thousand rounds of .22LR set by.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11137 on: September 05, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »
Last time I was in Dick's was with a couple of Canadian coworkers. They really really wanted Dick's brand t-shirts. Ransacked the whole store, looking for some. For the expected juvenile reasons.  :laugh:

Apparently such things are not available except to corporate staff.  :wanker:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11138 on: September 05, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »
I already have over one hundred thousand rounds of .22LR set by.

O_o

That's a lot of ammo.

I love the .22 rimfire, I made short work of a lot of rabbits that way.

These days I limit my bloodsport to fishing.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11139 on: September 06, 2018, 12:48:22 AM »
I already have over one hundred thousand rounds of .22LR set by.

O_o

That's a lot of ammo.

I love the .22 rimfire, I made short work of a lot of rabbits that way.

These days I limit my bloodsport to fishing.

Probably could seem like a lot. I know one guy who has more than two pallets of .22LR on hand. Over a million rounds. Thing is, a few years back there was a serious scare that we would no longer be able to buy our ammo, let alone just order it on line. Most people went fucking NUTZ!!

Of course the most popular selling ammo is the venerable .22LR and so it became almost impossible to find during "The Scare."  It was simply a supply/demand thing. At that point in time I had about twenty thousand rounds in safe containers. BUT, the thought of NEVER EVER being able to buy more was a definite scare.

The Lefty/Nazi idea was that, since we can't seem to get people's guns out of their hands, we will take away their FREEDOM to buy ammunition for their weaponry. Now, as a hunter, I have enough "makings" (meaning, bullets, primers, powder, casings, casting equipment, lead, gas checks, etc.) for all my favorite hunting calibers to last into the next two generations. However, daily practice requires a bit more than a few rounds per day.

Last time I counted, looking to keep quantities of products in balance. I had enough makings to create (approximating) twenty thousand rounds of .223, seven thousand rounds of .45, one thousand rounds of .44Mag, six thousand rounds of light .38/357,  about a thousand rounds of 9mm, but see that was what balanced.  I also have many more primers (infinite shelf life with proper storage) and bullets that would require lots of powder to make the rest come together. All assuming that I keep and reload most of the brass I already own.
I also have stacks of five gallon buckets of military brass taken from military bases, that need some babying to turn into .223 rounds. Know how to do it, done many, MANY thousands from range to usable reincarnates.
That is what I can remember offhand. Many more supplies available that would require more purchases to render completed ammunition.

Between my three presses, with some help, we could turn out some huge numbers of ammo in short time.
The problem as to which I have already alluded, is the actual quantities of bullets and powder to calibers that I have on hand.  Brass is a huge storage problem; it is the largest part. Powder is also a huge storage problem due to storage environment requirements. Bullets are easy; they're just heavy. Primers are tiny and almost inert, as long as moisture is eliminated from storage methods.

I guess my point is that if they take away my right to buy ammo, I am set for a while. I  just need to buy more bullets and powder.

BTW, I am not the only one. If you go to some of my "friend's" homes you will find that I am far behind in the "race."

I remember a photo meme a while back:  Kind of a hot chick holding an AR of some sort and the caption was something like Do they really want to do another Civil War? One side has twelve trillions rounds of ammo, millions of guns and the other side does not know which bathroom to use.
 :lol1:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:54:07 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11140 on: September 06, 2018, 05:50:02 AM »
I know one guy who has more than two pallets of .22LR on hand. Over a million rounds.

:tantrum:

It's hoarding assholes like that who have driven up the cost of .22LR ammo.

The last time I bought .22LR ammo, it was going for $7.50 for a 550 round Remington "milk carton". I bought 10 cartons only to find myself in a situation where I had very limited opportunities to go shooting. The upside is that I sat on it. The down side is that I didn't buy enough.

Since I've moved away from the Kalifornia Peoples Republic, I can shoot guns when ever I want and I've burned through that ammo. Now you have all these assholes who are sitting on several pallets of .22LR who are asking a Kings Ransom for the ammo they bought for pennies on the round.

Making matters worse is that ammo manufacturers have realized that this is their new "cash cow".  :tantrum:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11141 on: September 06, 2018, 07:02:48 AM »
I know one guy who has more than two pallets of .22LR on hand. Over a million rounds.

:tantrum:

It's hoarding assholes like that who have driven up the cost of .22LR ammo.

The last time I bought .22LR ammo, it was going for $7.50 for a 550 round Remington "milk carton". I bought 10 cartons only to find myself in a situation where I had very limited opportunities to go shooting. The upside is that I sat on it. The down side is that I didn't buy enough.

Since I've moved away from the Kalifornia Peoples Republic, I can shoot guns when ever I want and I've burned through that ammo. Now you have all these assholes who are sitting on several pallets of .22LR who are asking a Kings Ransom for the ammo they bought for pennies on the round.

Making matters worse is that ammo manufacturers have realized that this is their new "cash cow".  :tantrum:

I understand that those arguments exist. I tend to disagree and blame it on the scare a few years back. But, honestly, there is so much available now that small fish like this guy do not really affect things so much.
Honestly, though, at the price you noted, YOU should have bought two pallets.
My shooting buddy does not intend to sell at a ridiculous price, only hoard. I asked him once if he rotated his older ammo out and he just glared at me and said like Dude (yes, this guy says "dude" and "like" way too much) I have them shrink wrapped, FFS!
Not much intention of selling. Or even shooting it seems. He is also a prepper with two connected shipping containers buried on his dad's property. I have not been inside, but it all seems impressive from the outside. Huge water tanks, finger system, three generators, air filtration and on and on and on ...

Last year, while I was still building myself a ten year supply (which took me over three years, BTW, constantly looking for deals. Now building the kind of center fire supplies I have on hand has taken me over thirty years), I found many decent sales at various places for around six to seven cents per round for Remington, Winchester and CCI. Not too bad in this climate. I know it is not like when gasoline was a dollar fifty per gallon, either. Still see them advertised for five cents for Aguila (I think it is Mexican knock off Remington) and Federal.

Not sure what you need, but for my purposes, varmints, noisy, destructive stray dogs, occasional rabbit, plinking - I have never had trouble with my Ruger 1022s or my even cheaper Marlin 60s (one of which I paid ten dollars for many years ago). I have a S&W four incher and three Ruger Mk III, still no trouble.

You CAN order online, right? You live in Oregon, I think I read. (Only driven through and loved every second of the trip)
I have had good luck ordering from Midway and Ammomen. Great stores!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:20:39 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11142 on: September 07, 2018, 10:45:13 PM »
When it's 2:30pm and you still haven't decided what to do with your day :P

I'll wait till after garbage day to clean my garage to put the bin in there as it's apparently fly blown lol.

Do a test run of plastidip on my car perhaps? Just the rear badge. I eventually want to black out the chrome grille surrounds and the door trim.
It's kinda raining though. And I gotta get groceries later.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11143 on: September 08, 2018, 08:12:27 AM »
Isn't it interesting how you always get sick on the weekends?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11144 on: September 08, 2018, 09:34:16 PM »

I know this has been out there for a while, but it reminds me of the dog we lost in February. He usually had a bowl with his kibbles any time he wanted, but when we were cooking or eating, he would often bring a few of his kibbles and lay them at our feet and sit right there, waiting patiently, hopefully for a trade to happen. IF we would not respond with a nibble of stuff we were eating he would go and bring more, upping his bid.
Dogs are fucking awesome!