Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201393 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10920 on: July 23, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
I live in suburbia and so we don't get wildlife except for birds. And yep, cockatoos are destructive. Most nights a flock of them do a general flyover here, shouting all the while.

Not here, but when I was a kid in south Texas, we had massive flocks of wild parrots come down on gardens at night. Most gardens were fine, but mine was a target because of all the fruit trees. I had several kinds of citrus, fig, peach, avocado, pepper, banana and various nut trees.

They were beautiful, but a flock of them would destroy a year's worth of work in just a few nights.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10921 on: July 23, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »

Then there are redbacks

Not a lot of redbacks in Canberra but there were a shitload in WA.

No matter where I go, or how long my hair gets, I am a RedNeck!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10922 on: July 23, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
Wondering about that weird plastic pipe in our garden.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10923 on: July 23, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »
I am thinking sadness.

Back last winter I went to a funeral for a twin brother of a woman I have known for about ten years. Had known him as well for about eight years when he died. We all met because of our involvement in local charities.
About a year ago, I, she and her twin brother ended up together working a  "thing"  and for the first time, I really got to known him.
I considered them both to be "friends."

She told me that day that, together they were more than two, but apart, she was less than one. I argued. I told her that the reason they are so powerful together is that they are BOTH awesome. Whatever. I am not so good at that stuff.

Ran into her today for the first time since the funeral. Just a timing thing. We are both still doing what we did before we met, but today she was different.
Jawdroppingly so!

I had no idea but she is in a major funk. I had no clue as to what to do. Her earlier statement made sense now. She is now about six months into living with the loss of her twin brother.

At a loss to help, I started talking about the difficulties I have been having with my son lately and invited her to dinner this week. She perked up a bit at the prospect of having found another youngster to mentor.

I originally called her an idiot for her profound statement about more than two together and less than one apart, but now I see it and I am at a loss to know how to help her through this impossible funk.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10924 on: July 23, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »

Then there are redbacks

Oooooh, I got it!      :asthing:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #10925 on: July 23, 2018, 02:52:49 PM »

Then there are redbacks

:facepalm2:

Redbacks are the Aussie equivalent of the black widow spider.

Widow spiders span the globe with each region having it's own species.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10926 on: July 23, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »

Then there are redbacks

I know you are right, but let us all take a minute and "realize" that every corner  (Am I the only one to ever think that terminology was weird?)  of the spherical globe we live in has Rednecks. There are rednecks everywhere!

(Fuck, since I started thinking about weird stuff again, What about Mr. World who wears glasses and yet, he has no eyes?  Or how about that commercial that want to make us all go "Ga Ga"  over how clever they are to have found something in a jelly fish that is suppposed to help our brain function - really!! Something to help my brain that is extracted from a life form that has never evolved a brain? No!)

I really try to get spiders out of my house where they can do some good, but if they give me the least amount of shit, I just kill them. I really like spiders, even dangerous ones, but I am in charge of who and/or what lives inside my humble home.

I have many, many, many close up pictures of various spiders. As a micro-photography enthusiast (years ago) I would capture and set up tiny "ecoscapes"  that made sense and photograph our little "friends"  as I incessantly tortured them to death with my camera equipment.

Now they live forever (well at least as long a Kodachrome lasts), instead of just a few months.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:16:31 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10927 on: July 23, 2018, 03:41:34 PM »

Then there are redbacks

Do not forget about "fiddle back spiders."  Here we have about ten or so species of "TeH"  dangerous fiddle back spider, ALL related to the dreaded Loxoscelese reclusa (sorry, I had to look up how to spell Loxoscelese - most geeks here know what it is, but I am geeklite and Google is way too easy) but only the ACTUAL one is deadly. All are quite poisonous, but only L. reclusa can inflict a life threatening bite.

Most of the spiders around here who leave random webs all over our house during the night are fiddle back spiders, but they are completely safe.
They can get scary big, but even then, their cousin is the one to dread.

... and as noted before we all ingest several spiders each year during our sleep from simply sleeping with our mouths open or snoring and such. Our spider neighbors are simply seeking out water and smell it on out breath at night, venture in too close and our swallow/choke reflex takes over and the spider often can not escape, so down the hatch it goes, creepy legs and all.

It has also been studied and found true that anywhere on this planet one is never more than four (or three or six, depending upon the study) feet from a spider.
I feel it is probably four feet, in my experience.
 :GA:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:49:14 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10928 on: July 23, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »

Then there are redbacks

Sorry, I did not give your girls the respect they deserve, but, YEAH!

Ours here are shiny black and have the typical central USA red-orange hourglass on their sexy belly undersides. Never put your bare hand into a place that has not seen daylight in a week or so. NEVER!.
You just might find one of these quick moving ladies. Rarely deadly, but very annoying if bitten - months of recovery.

Their super shiny exoskeleton is very difficult to photograph with typical equipment. You will have to use something like a four inch softbox. That would be like photographing your shiny Corvette with a hundred foot soft light source. :zombiefuck:

Really.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:11:46 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #10929 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
(Fuck, since I started thinking about weird stuff again, What about Mr. World who wears glasses and yet, he has no eyes?

On the subject of thinking about weird stuff, how about this?

Why is Brenda Lee's "Coming on strong", "that forgotten song", in the song Radar Love??

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10930 on: July 24, 2018, 12:39:47 AM »
Thinking I need more coffee.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10931 on: July 24, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »
Wondering if I can get away with going home earlyish (before 6 pm).

Just have to hope that the offshore teams don't need me for anything - it's still office hours for them.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10932 on: July 24, 2018, 05:43:26 AM »
LOL, I think the windowcleaners doing their rounds, a younger lad and  a somewhat older man, both got rather a shock, when I had to go out into the garden, and exit through the open french windows, whilst in somewhat unconventional attire.....

I  heard 'mornin'', and replied myself, good morning to you too, but in a thick, muffled sort of tone, interspersed with a noise sounding like 'Hk-HEEERRRRHHHHHHH--PHTTT.....Hk-HEERRRRHHHH-PPPhhT-click', inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, click, whoosh, click, whoosh', pretty much like darth vader, minus the really low booming voice coming out of a speaker, as  I had to speak from behind the gas mask and visor, a selfie (metadata stripped, so any pork, don't bother), giving a cheery 'good morning' from behind the whispering rush of breathable atmosphere and the Ft-Ka-SHHHH-PHHtK--oh, mornin' mate--- Ft-Ka-SHHHH-PHHHTkTK'

I don't think they were expecting that for some reason, with me walking out into the garden bearing a small, one-hand-portable bottle with very thick walls, a darkened, somewhat corroded label heavy with brown staining, and which had a teflon cap, teflon compression seal built into the bottom of the inside of the cap, and a heavy wrapping of teflon tape round the neck of the glass, held both at arms length, but with great care, in a hand buried beneath first elbow-length butyl rubber gauntlets, a pair of nitrile surgical gloves over the top, and finally thick fabric gloves over those, by a pale figure, all dressed in black, wearing a black, full-length leather trenchcoat tied at the waste with a leather sash, used like an apron.

Heading out with the bottle, doing some things they probably could only see as 'attending on a large glass flask full of liquid, having a drying tube in between the outlet, and a long horizontal column containing some grown bright, near-translucentish orange crystalline material,with a condenser on the end of that, capped with a glass plug made to match, and conspicuously large zones covered in teflon. Whilst seeing me having to pick a clip off the interface between horizontal column of searingly bright orange crystals, of a pumpkin sort of hue, being about to open the little heavyset, toughened bottle, but seeing people enter at the other end of the garden, having to make certain everything was closed, just as quickly, due to the contents of either bottle or column with its brilliant pumpkin orange glowy crystal formations, under it's chlorine gas and argon mixed atmosphere not being either of them anything one would wish to breath in the vapours of, not even in tiny traces.

And then seeing me have to pluck off and discard the friable chunky bits left of a stainless steel and a plastic glassware anchoring keck clip pair, the stainless etched, pitted, corroded and deeply stained, dark and blistered.

:heisenberg:
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10933 on: July 24, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »
Thinking how Scrap changed his sig after I plussed it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10934 on: July 24, 2018, 04:40:09 PM »
Thinking how Scrap changed his sig after I plussed it.

What did it say when you plussed it?  :orly:
:gopher: